Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is it time for the UK to become a republic?

Is it time to become a republic?

• Yes - become a republic

Votes: 189 38.4%
  • No - keep the monarchy

Votes: 306 62.2%

• Total voters

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
There’s no justification for people on the breadline contributing to the royal estate.
Keep the royal family but for the next few generations have them financially make do with the billions (and counting) they already have.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
There’s no justification for people on the breadline contributing to the royal estate.
Keep the royal family but for the next few generations have them financially make do with the billions (and counting) they already have.

Do people on the breadline contribute to the Royal estate?

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-income-tax-revenues-institute-fiscal-studies

The tax free allowance for lower paid workers has never been higher, notwithstanding that we some workers pay taxes at 62% courtesy of George Osbourne.

I think you can relax.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Absolutely not . The monarchy providing it is suitably run is a stabilising influence on the country. Good examples are in the UK, Spain , Monaco etc

The cost although a lot is actually minimal if you look at the cost to each tax payer .

William & Kate will be a force for good in the coming years and also will help win economic contracts.

I wish the States had a royal family . It would have helped lessen the impact of Trump .

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
absolutely. I really hope Charles is the last...if not then William

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Do people on the breadline contribute to the Royal estate?

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-income-tax-revenues-institute-fiscal-studies

The tax free allowance for lower paid workers has never been higher, notwithstanding that we some workers pay taxes at 62% courtesy of George Osbourne.

I think you can relax.

You don’t think it’s possible to earn above the tax free allowance and be on the breadline?

The contribution to the royal family through taxes is relatively small.
But even so, it’s the principle. The Royal Family could and should forgo this handout. They don’t need your money.

Last edited:

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
If the alternative to a Monarchy is a Republic with the likes of Truss, Johnson Corbyn,etc as President, then this is no time for a Republic

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
If the alternative to a Monarchy is a Republic with the likes of Truss, Johnson Corbyn,etc as President, then this is no time for a Republic

what do you think would be the difference between PM Truss and President Truss?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Absolutely not . The monarchy providing it is suitably run is a stabilising influence on the country. Good examples are in the UK, Spain , Monaco etc

The cost although a lot is actually minimal if you look at the cost to each tax payer .

William & Kate will be a force for good in the coming years and also will help win economic contracts.

I wish the States had a royal family . It would have helped lessen the impact of Trump .

how so?

we're constantly told that one "benefit" of having a monarch is that they're apolitical

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Six million people on Universal Credit is far more of a financial burden to this country than the cost of the monarchy. Too many playing the system to their benefit. Expert in their rights and unwilling to acknowledge any responsibility. Unlike the Royal Family, many fail to create a penny of wealth creation.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
I have been a republican for much of my life, but recent world events would suggest to me that we should keep the monarchy. I think the vast swings toward populism are probably curtailed a wee bit by having a royal family as a patriotism valve as it were.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I would call myself a Republican, but I think having integrity in government is more important than anything else at this time. So I voted to keep the monarchy, there are more important issues to deal with.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gratified that the vote is relatively close at 40-60 amid the most intense royalist propaganda I’ve ever seen in my five decades. Gives me a lot of hope that my kids might help to finish the democracy job in their time
This.

Edit: late to the party.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
You don’t think it’s possible to earn above the tax free allowance and be on the breadline?

The contribution to the royal family through taxes is relatively small.
But even so, it’s the principle. The Royal Family could and should forgo this handout. They don’t need your money.

The top 1% of income tax payers ie incomes over approx 164k pay 30% of tax and the following 10% ie incomes over approx £54k pay about 60% of income tax. The bottom half of income tax payers account for approx 10% of income tax receipts.”

Is 54k near this breadline you keep referring to?

As I said relax, the poor are receiving more than they contribute……principle or not.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

Unfortunately I think it's our system itself that contributes to the poor calibre of leaders that we have been experiencing. Leaders that are voted in to post by a comparatively small number of people, typically with very entrenched political views (i.e. the Labour or Conservative party memberships).

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
The top 1% of income tax payers ie incomes over approx 164k pay 30% of tax and the following 10% ie incomes over approx £54k pay about 60% of income tax. The bottom half of income tax payers account for approx 10% of income tax receipts.”

As I said relax, the poor are receiving more than they contribute……principle or not.

Redivert the £100m in taxes that goes to the royals , towards families struggling to feed their kids, i say . Each to their own.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Unfortunately I think it's our system itself that contributes to the poor calibre of leaders that we have been experiencing. Leaders that are voted in to post by a comparatively small number of people, typically with very entrenched political views (i.e. the Labour or Conservative party memberships).

Not sure how else you would propose a party elect their leader!

It's a catch 22 situation. If you were forced to have a general election when you changed leaders then we'd probably still have Johnson in charge because it would be like turkeys voting for xmas!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Blimey, you sound like Sunak at that hustings in Tunbridge Wells.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm a reluctant monarchist because I fear the alternative of someone like Johnson, and/or his cohorts, being elected as our head of state doesn't bear thinking about.

However I would reform the current system.

Smaller royal family which I believe is King Charles' aim anyway. Probably just the monarch and their heirs are considered the Royal household. So the likes of Anne, Andrew and Edward lose their titles and any income from the state. (they will no doubt have been looked after in the Queen's will, although Andrew's will be net of the £12m advance she provided earlier!!).
Tax their private income by law, including but not limited to income tax and Inheritance Tax.
Remove the title 'Defender of the Faith' from the reigning monarch. We are a secular society and the position of head of state should reflect that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here