Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it the manager, or is it recruitment?

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Sell White......Dunky gets suspended.......Webster gets a niggle. Who you got in your back 3/4 ?

That's Armageddon thinking. We didn't have White last season and he's been in midfield a few times this season anyway. In your doomsday scenario I would have Burn left CB, Veltman right CB. March is capable playing in a flat back four as left back and Lamptey as right back. Remember if we take your "model of crisis" Dunk would be out for a maximum of 4 games unless he's seriously chinned someone. I would like to think with a serious hitman up front our makeshift defence might just survive. I'm not saying letting go of one of our prized assets is desirable but if its that to get the right man or Mork and Mindy up front for the rest of the season then so be it. The risk has to be taken.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's Armageddon thinking. We didn't have White last season and he's been in midfield a few times this season anyway. In your doomsday scenario I would have Burn left CB, Veltman right CB. March is capable playing in a flat back four as left back and Lamptey as right back. Remember if we take your "model of crisis" Dunk would be out for a maximum of 4 games unless he's seriously chinned someone. I would like to think with a serious hitman up front our makeshift defence might just survive. I'm not saying letting go of one of our prized assets is desirable but if its that to get the right man or Mork and Mindy up front for the rest of the season then so be it. The risk has to be taken.

So, Burn and Veltman at CB, Lamps and March at Wingback........and the bench looks bare......

[emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
So, Burn and Veltman at CB, Lamps and March at Wingback........and the bench looks bare......

[emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

Recall Clarke if you wish, recall Haydon Roberts if you can, but make no mistake if we do not seriously improve on our goal conversion rate then we will be relegated. The likes of White and Bissouma will be sold as the club rebuilds and restructures. Sacrifice one to save the clubs premier league status ? I would argue a necessary evil for a club of our size........regrettably. :down:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Recall Clarke if you wish, recall Haydon Roberts if you can, but make no mistake if we do not seriously improve on our goal conversion rate then we will be relegated. The likes of White and Bissouma will be sold as the club rebuilds and restructures. Sacrifice one to save the clubs premier league status ? I would argue a necessary evil for a club of our size........regrettably. :down:

How does ****ing about with the defence solve our problems up front?

Only reason to sell White (for example) would be to reinvest very heavily (£50m) on a top, top striker. Can’t see us doing either.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
How does ****ing about with the defence solve our problems up front?

Only reason to sell White (for example) would be to reinvest very heavily (£50m) on a top, top striker. Can’t see us doing either.

Sorry, I thought I made my self quite clear. Again, sell White to pay for a top striker. your the one that started F&&*ing about with the defence saying "what if Dunk was suspended and Webster got a niggle". I've just given you the makeshift defence in such a scenario. Ideal ? no of course not, but unless TB dips into his pocket large then again selling White is one of the more obvious options to fund the frontman we desperately need.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not sure how to coach players that are given chances but constantly miss. This includes our defenders up for corners. Today twice and twice Webster and Dunk met the ball directly on their head and missed. Too many opportunities aren’t converted. AJ’s at the end Christ. That goes in and the relief not just on here but in the dressing room would be massive

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Its the players. Potters strategy is getting the chances, bucket loads of them. The guys are just not taking them.

Not sure how to coach players that are given chances but constantly miss. This includes our defenders up for corners. Today twice and twice Webster and Dunk met the ball directly on their head and missed. Too many opportunities aren’t converted. AJ’s at the end Christ. That goes in and the relief not just on here but in the dressing room would be massive

Yep

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
i honestly think the players think they are better than they are .......bunch of posers mate , will always get found out by a team of workers , i'm gutted after watching that ....:down:

Is probably the right answer, or at least 80% of the problem.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Could it be that a club with a bottom six budget is in the bottom six, so it's neither the players or the manager, but we are broadly where we should expect to be?

Exactly my old interesting dullard

Which is why I’ve always questioned why Hughton was sacked
Kept us up twice on a bottom six budget, form was dreadful but kept us up

Club legend, treated shamefully

New manager not doing any better, what a surprise!!
It was obvious at the time, that unless significant investment in the squad was made, nothing would change
And it hasn’t

Ashworth’s appointment to the post has made no appreciable difference, although we do now have a couple of young players coming through.
But they haven’t really had any impact and we’re now relying on older pros like Llallana and Welbeck rather than than Murray and Bruno

Currently no more enjoyable watching Potters team either

It’s all very predictable, just taken most fans a season and a bit to realise

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It’s a combination.
Our recruitment was terrible when we got promoted - Locadia, Bernardo, AJ etc. Since then it’s been patchy.
That would hinder any manager.
Potter has inherited some gooduns though, and hasn’t got the best out of them.
And some players have got worse.
He’s made big calls on Andone, Connolly, Ryan, Webster etc - Either putting faith in them or axing them - and none of them have really worked out.
It all points towards relegation. Not so much because of our place in the table but the direction of travel. We are unravelling, others are getting stronger.
A change of manager MIGHT get us over the line. Linkewise a big money striker.
It’s all rather late in the day though.
The best thing that can happen is that we do business in January. No excuses. Keep Potter. Gamble on buying a decent striker. Don’t ask me who. Ask the army of recruiters whose job it is to identify talent.
Some advice for Tony - Dont listen to the guy who came up with AJ and Locadia.

Last edited:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Recruitment 100%

I've said it before but imagine we had the foresight to bring in Giroud when the Germans arrived at Chelsea and he fell down the pecking list!

Spending big money on the better Championship strikers isn't the answer either. We need one - just one to start - top striker.

Varndean VI Form College

Jul 29, 2011
Hove
Recruitment 100%

I've said it before but imagine we had the foresight to bring in Giroud when the Germans arrived at Chelsea and he fell down the pecking list!

Spending big money on the better Championship strikers isn't the answer either. We need one - just one to start - top striker.

Jesus, you’ve always been overly impressed with Potter’s further education qualifications (one of which I believe you share with him).

Leadership is largely reliant on the ability to get the best out of people and I don’t think he cuts it in this regard.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Having gone to the game yesterday, it is startling how gun-shy we are in front of goal. The ball is endlessly passed around the edge of the box, and fed to the wing back. Cross comes in, ball is cleared and repeat. The stats for yesterday seem to back up that impression. We seem very low on confidence. And a lot of players are under-performing, compared with last season.

That's primarily down to the coach (and the senior players).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Recruitment 100%

That’s down to Tony Bloom. We can’t afford / won’t pay £100k a week, and I don’t think Giroud is going to take a 50% or so pay cut - or be short of suitors to pay him the full asking price

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here