Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it right to sell Neal Maupay?

Is it right to sell Neal Maupay?

• Unconditionally yes

Votes: 164 38.4%
  • Yes, if he is replaced

Votes: 225 52.7%
  • No, he's worth keeping

Votes: 38 8.9%

• Total voters

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
He seems to be happy at Brentford and is playing better for them than for Everton. Admittedly in his race with Sanchez it looked like he was towing a caravan - but Brentford still scored and put the game to bed.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
When you watch that last video view, you can't blame Mbueno for knocking it in but I would imagine Maupay was pissed off with him for taking it off him as he would have run on to that still and surely not even Neal could have missed from there?!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
That's a good angle.
Makes you realise why Maupay didn't shoot, Sanchez made up a hell of a lot of ground on him quickly.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Good view…

It's pretty silly to argue that they shouldn't have sent the keeper up. They were 1-0 down with very little time left. It's unlikely that finishing 2-0 down rather than 1-0 down is going to count for much at the end of the season.

It's much more likely that they'll miss out on a place by one point than by one goal difference.

It was a gamble. It didn't pay off this time, but that doesn't make it necessarily a bad choice to roll the die.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's pretty silly to argue that they shouldn't have sent the keeper up. They were 1-0 down with very little time left. It's unlikely that finishing 2-0 down rather than 1-0 down is going to count for much at the end of the season.

It's much more likely that they'll miss out on a place by one point than by one goal difference.

It was a gamble. It didn't pay off this time, but that doesn't make it necessarily a bad choice to roll the die.
Well yes. It's worth the risk. I always think sending a keeper up, just adds to the general sense of panic and confusion in the defending team. The crowd go up for it. And as a neutral, it's just fun.

A league place being decided by 1 GD is so rare. And in any case, I could probably only name about 5 breakaway goals when the keeper has gone up in about 40 years of watching football.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Exactly this. We all get to have a good laugh at Chelsea which is never not good.
And on your risk and reward point, I agree but i'd go further. So I don't think the act of putting a keeper forward for a corner, ups the risk of conceding from that play more than two times more than it increases the chance of scoring.

It follows then, if i'm right about those risks, then teams should be doing it when drawing. And not even necessarily just at the end of a game.

I know it sounds nuts. And it depends on the team having an aerially dominant keeper likely to cause havoc. And of course you can mitigate breakaway risks further by placing a Lamptey like player, who is never going to score a header, but could cover a counter attack in the centre circle.

Someone should try it anyway. Keeper up for all corners. Let's make football fun again

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Or possibly he didn’t want to score (embarrass) against a former team mate and possibly a good friend of his.
Are we talking about the same Neal Maupay? One of the biggest shithouses the footballing world has ever known - that guy?

I think it more speaks to a lack of confidence in front of goal atm.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Had a bit of beef with Martinez today
At his best yesterday.
He and Martinez are probably two of the most (if not THE most) disliked players in the league. To see them wind each other yesterday was hilarious!

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I love him. The game needs characters. If it all became predictable, non-risk taking machines, there would be absolutely no point in going. Give me more Maupay characters in our sport. He didn’t injure anyone, insult anyone, threaten anyone, abuse anyone, put anyone at risk, disrespect any player or the referee (all of which is commendable) yet he changed the balance and flow of the game, which is after all, about entertainment.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
He didn’t injure anyone, insult anyone, threaten anyone, abuse anyone, put anyone at risk, disrespect any player or the referee (all of which is commendable) yet he changed the balance and flow of the game, which is after all, about entertainment.
He didn't score either

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here