Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it possible for the Amex to be Extended more

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Is kneeling permitted under the requirements of the Taylor Report, do we know?

You must have heard the same rumour as me about Tony converting the stadium into a synagogue if we don't promoted this season.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
it doesn't have to be extended jus safe standing could increase the capacity by thousands

Safe standing means exactly that , safe standing. The capacity would stay the same.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
No It doesn't for every two seats taken out three people can stand in the same space ,you should really check before you post

It's not only extra space that means capacity will increase.
It's also the number of toilets, exits and travel.

It has been said by the club that if it did happen, it wouldn't increase capacity by much (hundreds, not thousands)

swervy_123

Dec 2, 2009
brighton
Yes but they would say that ,the club dosen't want to discuss this issue at the moment but with time and the chance of increased revenue and remember it's not just match day tickets it's what people spend in the ground I'm sure a few extra toilets and exits could be put in place

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
No It doesn't for every two seats taken out three people can stand in the same space ,you should really check before you post

I have already checked it out , you cannot absolutely guarantee that every single fan will want to stand up all the time. There are complex safety issues such as exits (widening or additional exits) , toilet facilities , capacity levels for public and private transport. I would be pretty pissed off standing with two steps in a row and the bloke standing in front blocking out the view.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
The policing of seated areas,especially away ends is somewhat lax. The increase capacity gained with safe standing i am sure has not been lost on Mr Barber. I would welcome it myself,as it would enhance the atmosphere.Maybe it would also help the decline of away fans nationally too (plus very much cheaper ticket prices when bought through the club ).

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I had a conversation with Derek Chapman after the Wolves game last season, he said he was looking around all over the place to see where he could squeeze a few more seats in. From the conversation it seemed that there isn't the ability to add in more tiers, or expand it in huge numbers, more like a few here, a few there. Anyway, seeing as we hadn't filled it for some time. What would be the point?

Feb 14, 2010
Anyway, seeing as we hadn't filled it for some time. What would be the point?[/QUOTE]

I would have thought its obvious to anyone (well except a few Brighton fans who are determined to judge BHA by different standards than every other club. . Because BH get 28000 in the Championship against Yeovil or Cardiff on a Tuesday night. Clubs like Palace struggled to get 12000 when offering 2 for 1 deals, but now they get 24000. Brighton, like every other club would likely see a double in gate if they played the Arsenal's, Man U's of this world in the top flight. Therefore if the club had a modicom of ambition, then they would understand that a club that gets 28000 against Yeovil has a ground far too small to play Arsenal. As an aside I heard a comment on the radio by the BBC journalist when the Newcastle fans made their displeasure known that went "the players have to take that as they have to earn the right to play in front of a large crowd". Same logic I apply to the Brighton players. They dont play in front of 15000 or 9000 crowds in the Championship, they play in front of 28000. Time the players started to earn that right.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would have thought its obvious to anyone (well except a few Brighton fans who are determined to judge BHA by different standards than every other club. . Because BH get 28000 in the Championship against Yeovil or Cardiff on a Tuesday night. Clubs like Palace struggled to get 12000 when offering 2 for 1 deals, but now they get 24000. Brighton, like every other club would likely see a double in gate if they played the Arsenal's, Man U's of this world in the top flight. Therefore if the club had a modicom of ambition, then they would understand that a club that gets 28000 against Yeovil has a ground far too small to play Arsenal. As an aside I heard a comment on the radio by the BBC journalist when the Newcastle fans made their displeasure known that went "the players have to take that as they have to earn the right to play in front of a large crowd". Same logic I apply to the Brighton players. They dont play in front of 15000 or 9000 crowds in the Championship, they play in front of 28000. Time the players started to earn that right.

I hear you but there is an economic model which suggests it preferable to have a ground which caps the capacity. Ajax follow this principle. The theory being that capping capacity creates demand for lesser games as it encourages people to choose alternative matches and/or buy into the club longer term as opposed to just buying tickets for select big games....which if you have a huge stadium will always be possible. If we had a 50k stadium I doubt we'd still have well over 20k STs as everyone would know they could easily buy tickets for any game they choose.

Feb 14, 2010
I hear you but there is an economic model which suggests it preferable to have a ground which caps the capacity. Ajax follow this principle. The theory being that capping capacity creates demand for lesser games as it encourages people to choose alternative matches and/or buy into the club longer term as opposed to just buying tickets for select big games....which if you have a huge stadium will always be possible. If we had a 50k stadium I doubt we'd still have well over 20k STs as everyone would know they could easily buy tickets for any game they choose.

And in doing so, capping Brighton's ambition. If Brighton go up, the club should say we deserve to be here when we get 28000 for Yeovil in the Championship, and then building on that. Brighton have the geography and a historically well supported club despite playing lower league football. The next time we reach the top flight we should eye ball the other clubs and have an attitude of "who the fook ar you?" and what would you get against Yeovil in the Championship. Brighton cam deliver a proper big club, if the club has the desire and ambition to do so. But keeping a capacity at 30000 odd which is only just enough for Championship football says that Brighton are happy being a well supported club in the lower leagues. Nothing changes at Brighton, it ever was thus and that is probably why we have never, but never had a set of players who have over achieved. Constant under achievers are BHA both on and off the pitch and until the fans and club decide that negative small time mentality has to go, then the club will continue to scrap around in the lower leagues, or perhaps in a few years, scrap around at the bottom of the top flight. Either way, I'd prefer to have an ambition to achieve something at Brighton. You simply dont get 28000 for Yeovil and keep a ground at 30,000 its chucking money away and shows no ambition. I also expect that Bloom sees that as well as it really is blindingly obvious.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I was always under the impression you couldn't increase the capacity further due to the original plans being accepted on the basis the maximum capacity would be 30,000 or so.

I'm sure if you submitted planning permission to the Brighton and Hove Council, that lot in Lewes who fought against the original stadium would argue it'd contradict the original acceptance etc.

Only been to The Amex a couple of times but I shudder at the thought of an extra 10,000 using the transport links to and from the game, you could definitely get more fans in the stadium if the tickets were cheaper but it'd be a logistical nightmare.

Feb 14, 2010
This is simply not the case.

Really, my family must have imagined 20,000/30,000 in the third division then. Yes they are, and its also not the first time Brighton have been the 9th/10th/11th best supported club despite playing lower league football. The bottom line is for there to see if you choose to, 28000 for Yeovil, what on earth do you think Brighton would get for Arsenal, Spurs, and the like should Brighton have the ambition to achieve.

Feb 14, 2010
I was always under the impression you couldn't increase the capacity further due to the original plans being accepted on the basis the maximum capacity would be 30,000 or so.

I'm sure if you submitted planning permission to the Brighton and Hove Council, that lot in Lewes who fought against the original stadium would argue it'd contradict the original acceptance etc.

Only been to The Amex a couple of times but I shudder at the thought of an extra 10,000 using the transport links to and from the game, you could definitely get more fans in the stadium if the tickets were cheaper but it'd be a logistical nightmare.

I dont disagree with any of that. Transport is the issue that will limit Brighton but that can be solved. The ticket prices is also a key point. If Brighton do go up, then simple supply and demand will mean that many, many fans will get priced out.

Feb 14, 2010
This is simply not the case.

You also might want to read that post by someone who pointed out to She W fans that when in the division, Goldstone crowds when playing each other were bigger than the return fixture at their place. Interestingly, the Huddersfield fans forum build up showed the same thing, with crowds like 13,000 at Leeds Road Huddersfield but 20,000 at the return fixture. Brighton have one trophy in 1910 and then decades of nothing. Absolutely nothing. For the success or lack of it, and constant lower league football then Brighton have a remarkable support and always have. The problem is a lack of desire to fulfil its potential, and 30,000 ground when they get 28000 for Yeovil sums that up.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove

Not much use going to Brighton & Hove City Council for planning permission. Falmer comes under the jurisdiction of Lewes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You also might want to read that post by someone who pointed out to She W fans that when in the division, Goldstone crowds when playing each other were bigger than the return fixture at their place. Interestingly, the Huddersfield fans forum build up showed the same thing, with crowds like 13,000 at Leeds Road Huddersfield but 20,000 at the return fixture. Brighton have one trophy in 1910 and then decades of nothing. Absolutely nothing. For the success or lack of it, and constant lower league football then Brighton have a remarkable support and always have. The problem is a lack of desire to fulfil its potential, and 30,000 ground when they get 28000 for Yeovil sums that up.

This discussion about past support has been had many times. For the vast majority of the club's 100 year plus history it's my view we have not been a club which has had significantly greater support than other clubs. There has been peaks I agree, the late 70s was one. But by and large it has not been the case. Maybe someone can post Albion's average gates in relation division average over the seasons?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here