Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is it OK to say racist things if you're not racist?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Apparently it is. If you apologize later.
And if you apologize later that means you're not racist
And if you're not racist we should all move on.

I'll remember that if I ever get the urge to punch someone hard in the face
If I then say 'I'm not a violent person' and apologize, I would expect to be allowed to move on.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I found this latest event interesting in that it revealed the truth of a blatantly nasty racist. The gloves are off. But frighteningly, it’s symptomatic of imho a very sizable demographic who hate Poles, blacks, asians etc. 20 years ago the hate was latent / hidden, now at all levels the racists feel emboldened.

The difficulty …. in a Twatter/Facebook/Dark Web age, how to get the genie back in the bottle?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
And if you apologize later that mean's you're not racist

If I then say 'I'm not a violent person' and apologize, I would expect to be allowed to move on.
We're talking about politicians and donors we're aren't we

But I think the answer is that, if you show genuine contrition and learning and own up to your other as yet not publicised comments, then it shouldn't lead to permanent ostracision from society. Maybe just a little spell on the sidelines is sufficient in these circumstances.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Rather depends on the context doesn't it? Perfectly possible to say or write something that seems racist when it is cut out of it's wider context but is anything but when the wider context is taken into account.

It is also perfectly possible to say or write stuff that is racist irrespective of the wider context.

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023

And of course if you preface it with “I’m not racist but..”

See also, I’m not sexist but
I don’t mean to be offensive but
Etc etc.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I wonder where the cut off point would have been? For £10m the bloke has been mildly rebuked but his money still welcomed, would £5m still have had the same effect, £1m, £100,000? Is there a price list? Knighthood for a couple of million, laws passed for the same?

integrity.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

The Tories today:

"We're here today to focus on the Post Office" (because that will make us popular).

Accepting ten million pounds in funding from someone who makes overtly racist, sexist and violent comments shouldn't even be a discussion point according to many senior Tories (mainly the white ones).

Badenoch might be madder than an LSD laced Druid but at least she called it out for what it was. Because, y'know.....

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

I'm not racist in the slightest, but you make me hate all honkies and I think you should be shot.

Sorry for any offence caused by my inappropriate choice of words.

I consider this matter closed, so everyone just needs to move on.

sToP tHe BoAtS

Just think how much worse it would be if we had a Labour government...

CoRbYn!

[wibble]

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
When Richard Harris came to London in the 1950's, he was looking in a newsagents notice cabinet and saw a flat advertised. At the bottom in bold the advert said "NO DOGS, NO BLACKS, NO IRISH"

Harris punched the glass and took the advert and kept it in his respective wallets for the rest of his life, and when anyone be it in the UK or Hollywood banged on about racism or inequality, he produced it, and said "Racism, inequality I've had it all my adult life!".

70 years on, nothing's really changed, other than the specific targets.

The late Paul O'Grady made sure everyone ended up loving dogs.

We were saying whilst sipping 12euro bottles of Corona at the bottom of The Spanish Steps last Thursday, its a shit old world, maybe old JC will come back to save us all?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
We were saying whilst sipping 12euro bottles of Corona at the bottom of The Spanish Steps last Thursday, it’s a shit old world, maybe old JC will come back to save us all?
I fear Johnny Crumplin’s best days are behind him now, Ian.

el punal

Is it racist to describe someone with a different skin tone as ‘coloured’? Back in the 1960s/70s it was considered offensive to call people of Afro/Caribbean heritage ‘black’. Then it was okay and ‘coloured’ was considered offensive. I’m definitely not racist but confused as to which description is acceptable for any particular ethnic group. Thoughts?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I found this latest event interesting in that it revealed the truth of a blatantly nasty racist. The gloves are off. But frighteningly, it’s symptomatic of imho a very sizable demographic who hate Poles, blacks, asians etc. 20 years ago the hate was latent / hidden, now at all levels the racists feel emboldened.

The difficulty …. in a Twatter/Facebook/Dark Web age, how to get the genie back in the bottle?
I am happy that these types are being smoked out.

Yes, lickspittles make weasel defences ('He's not a racist'). And some daft-arse phoned R5 this morning to say that her dad used to say 'you should be shot' because he was in the army and it was just an expression and there are more important things going on in the world and we should move on.

But fewer and fewer people think like this. And yes, racism and sexism should be smoked out.

And in my view things are improving, despite 'noises off'.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When Richard Harris came to London in the 1950's, he was looking in a newsagents notice cabinet and saw a flat advertised. At the bottom in bold the advert said "NO DOGS, NO BLACKS, NO IRISH"

Harris punched the glass and took the advert and kept it in his respective wallets for the rest of his life, and when anyone be it in the UK or Hollywood banged on about racism or inequality, he produced it, and said "Racism, inequality I've had it all my adult life!".

70 years on, nothing's really changed, other than the specific targets.

The late Paul O'Grady made sure everyone ended up loving dogs.

We were saying whilst sipping 12euro bottles of Corona at the bottom of The Spanish Steps last Thursday, its a shit old world, maybe old JC will come back to save us all?
It isn't a shit old world, though. Increasingly, shitness is being called out, like now. What Harris faced then is illegal now. That's progress.

This thread is yet another example of shitness being called out. As it should be

Steady, with the Coronas, young man :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here