Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it now time to ban the mfe?

Ban it?

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Of course, if any laws are broken (public order offences etc.) then the police can/should use these powers, irrespective of the group.

And therein lies the rub. They actively advertised that they were coming down to cause, provoke or indulge in trouble. That ought to be enough for the Police to say 'we can't guarantee public safety' and therefore ban - or at the very least, move - the march.

If the EDL had said 'Celebrating the finest aspects of Englishness on St George's Day - openness, moderation, kindness, cricket, cream teas and civilised conversation..." etc, I might have even joined them.

But they didn't.

Irrespective of the loaded options on this thread, I really hope we don't have another one of these things next year. Notwithstanding everything else, it was quite depressing seeing the Lanes virtually empty after everyone had cleared out - like Brighton in the 1980s.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I see your point but please just try to take the question for what it says. This will save yourself and myself a lot of time and energy. Thanks.

Which question - should it be banned or do I think it's a source of English Pride? I answer no to both but then which option do I choose? Apparently Yes AND No. You know all this, please quit being so coy.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I see your point but please just try to take the question for what it says. This will save yourself and myself a lot of time and energy. Thanks.

But please do note that some people do think it's a good day and that it does achieve a lot.

But you have skewed the poll by failing to give a neutral question, so I'm with [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION].

I do think however that there is a case for rerouting the march so that it doesn't ruin a day for those who are enjoying a peaceful day in the Lanes and other parts of central Brighton. Shoreham power station would be a better alternative, or the West Pier.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is it time to ban the mfe? Not, will it be banned, can it be banned? Just a consensus!

I cannot list every single reason for it to be maintained or banned therefore a simple yes no is the only way.

Based on your opinion the answer should be no!

You didn't give a simple yes/no.

Why not just leave it as

-Yes. Because...
-No. Because...

And let people explain their position in their replies, if they see fit. Neutral poll, doesn't require you listing every reason.

EDIT: oh, I see the poll has now been edited.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
And therein lies the rub. They actively advertised that they were coming down to cause, provoke or indulge in trouble. That ought to be enough for the Police to say 'we can't guarantee public safety' and therefore ban - or at the very least, move - the march.

If the EDL had said 'Celebrating the finest aspects of Englishness on St George's Day - openness, moderation, kindness, cricket, cream teas and civilised conversation..." etc, I might have even joined them.

But they didn't.

Irrespective of the loaded options on this thread, I really hope we don't have another one of these things next year. Notwithstanding everything else, it was quite depressing seeing the Lanes virtually empty after everyone had cleared out - like Brighton in the 1980s.

I guess it comes down to two things 1) What they can legally do to stop it and 2) Which option 1s can be enforced in a practical manner.

There's no point in banning something only for people to turn up anyway and force the police's hand into questioning and detaining everyone. They probably just decided that it's less of a minefield to babysit rather than oppose.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
<--As this man once said 'I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine.'

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I guess it comes down to two things 1) What they can legally do to stop it and 2) Which option 1s can be enforced in a practical manner.

There's no point in banning something only for people to turn up anyway and force the police's hand into questioning and detaining everyone. They probably just decided that it's less of a minefield to babysit rather than oppose.

'Babysit' is pretty much what they do end up doing. It is everyone's right organise a gathering in order to march, provided they consult / inform the police at least six days beforehand.

The police, however, do have the right to move a march if they fear public order offences.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
What has living in Russia got to do with people coming to Brighton in order to cause mayhem?
Or are people still believing this MFE ragbag of ****wits is actually a political protest?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
The march really did fail to impress. No creativity or flair.
Next time, I think they should give The march for England people some Jamaican steel drums to get them dancing a bit more when they're walking. We could even introduce to them some salsa styled professional dancers with a nice spanish acoustic guitar played by one of the MFE?
Onwards and upwards I say!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What has living in Russia got to do with people coming to Brighton in order to cause mayhem?
Or are people still believing this MFE ragbag of ****wits is actually a political protest?

Putin bans marches, we should not.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
The answers are ridiculously loaded :facepalm: Abstained!!!

What are the actual rules for things like this? It's not a question of whether any of us think it should be banned, it's about being fair and equal to everyone who is operating within the law.

e.g If I start a facebook group called "March for Elephants" and say we're going to meet at brighton station next month, walk down the road and sing a few songs then go to the pub and go home, would the authorities also be able to stop that?
Nah,I like Efflelumps...

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Agree or disagree they have the right to protest...personally I wouldn't give them the time of the day...but they have the right to protest...or is it just the group protest YOU agree with ?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
This is going to become an ongoing annual excuse for a tear up by both parties.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
No. It is dying on it's arse as it is.

If I had the power to ban anything, I would ban the antis. Just ignore them. People are giving them too much credit. This is not the uprising of Naziism. It's just a handful of people, some Islamaphobes, some fancying a ruck and some with no idea how better to spend St Georges Day.

I'm certain that the marchers will do enough to ridicule themselves of get bored and move elsewhere (hopefully). They don't have the guts to march in a place of a high Muslim population.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Maybe, as a respect to the right to march and protest, it should be said that the organisers have to fund the policing costs, if they wish to come here.

D

Deleted User X18H

They come to Brighton because they know they will get a reaction.

The anti's are the real problem. If EDL marched down West Street, then along to the Steine, and then along to and up North Road, and onward to the station and nobody paid them any attention at all, it would all be over by 3pm

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Of course it shouldn't be banned. People have the right to peaceful protest.It does need to be carefully monitored though.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I like the twisted logic that says the trouble is all UAF fault. March for England always end up attacking non partisan bystanders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here