Is it Me or has The Argus Found a New Low in Proof Reading?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I don't think you can find a new low for something that clearly doesn't happen in the first place.

My personal favourite Argus screw up was a picture of a burning house (or some sort of fire) in the middle of a golfing story, with a golf related caption underneath ('Mr X crossing the bridge to hole the 18th' or something).

I used to work with a man who did freelance photography for the Sussex Express.

One day, he went to a primary school in the Lewes area to take a photo of the winner of a fancy dress competition. The child had dressed as Count Dracula and for some reason my mate Gordon asked him to leap off a step ladder, snapping him as he crash landed in a chaotic heap. The caption was along the lines of "Little Freddie Smith terrifying all his schoolmates".

The same week the local Conservative Association sent the Express a photo of the MP at Gatwick Airport having returned from some fact-finding mission. The caption here was something like "Bringing good news: Sir Tufton Beamish pictured after landing at Gatwick".

And yes, they got the photos the wrong way round.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I purchased the rag for the front page story. Now is it me, and I am thick, but there is an awful typo in the first paragraph?

Are you asking us, or telling us?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'm a sub-editor (not at The Argus, I'd like to point out), and it made my blood run cold.

I've a distinct memory that the Argus doesn't have sub-editors anymore from threads on here?

One of the national titles over here has fired their already contracted out subbys and layout staff and told the hacks to 'write stories so they fit the pages' instead!

Are my eyes deceiving me the date is Saturday August 4th!
They must be if you think the year doesn't say 2012! Maybe you could have picked up on the title 'News' or that it lacks a price (although this edition is priceless :))

One of the national titles over here has fired their already contracted out subbys and layout staff and told the hacks to 'write stories so they fit the pages' instead!
How exactly would a national paper contract out this work? Surely staff would need to be on the premises on a daily basis.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
also at the beeb.

17:14:
Crystal Palace v Manchester United (1730 GMT)
Many people are calling for Crystal Palace manager Tony Pulis to be named manager of the year if he keeps the Cottagers in the top-flight this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports