Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Is it good we are pushing further into space.?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think space travel has advanced ‘Pee in a bottle’ technology. People forget that.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Asteroid mining is an interesting concept. Its obviously insanely expensive but the motivation is that if someone mines the right asteroid loaded with precious metals they could become the richest individual or organisation the world has ever seen, many times over. It’s even thought that a vast discovery could even collapse the world’s economy. That’s an interesting thought. In a lot of ways, asteroid mining has become a bizarre sci-fi gold rush for rich billionaires.

Exploration and potential colonisation of planets like Mars is also fascinating. Scientists think that if Humanity becomes an interplanetary species, the chances of us become extinct drop to virtually zero.
Unfortunately I would suspect there are lots of negative reasons for colonising Mars among the billionaires trying to get there. Elon Musk is keen to ‘Nuke Mars’ in an attempt to generate an atmosphere and terraform Mars. And I do suspect if its corporations who get to Mars first, they would likely have the run of the place. For all the rules governments put in place, how would you actually stop people doing what they want when they’re so far away.

If anyone’s interested in the fictitious exploration of the these ideas, Kim Stanley Robinson has written an amazing Mars Trilogy that explores them. I can’t recommend that enough, its simply brilliant.

There’s also a watered down tv version on Netflix called Mars, which also explores the ideas but has actual contributions from leading experts which is pretty interesting.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I like the idea of pushing as far into space and stuff as we can, its fascinating seeing what the limit is of what we can achieve as a species scientifically. Not too sure on the point of it all though, it seems far fetched to me that we might ever be able to live on another planet or anything

Asteroid mining seems to be the most useful thing that might be achieved in a relatively short amount of time

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You mean like Jeremy Paxman (in both)?

Yes you’ve nailed it there. Millions of Jeremy Paxmans and others like Jeremy Clarkson descending onto our planet. If that ever happens then I can assure you I’m off to Uranus.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think we should be pushing quite a few people into deep space. It would help solve most of the planets problems over night.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Yes you’ve nailed it there. Millions of Jeremy Paxmans and others like Jeremy Clarkson descending onto our planet. If that ever happens then I can assure you I’m off to Uranus.

I would think very seriously of Pluto myself. It might be a bit parky there, but I'll be sure to pack an extra pair of socks. That's forward planning for you.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I would think very seriously of Pluto myself. It might be a bit parky there, but I'll be sure to pack an extra pair of socks. That's forward planning for you.

It’s got 5 moons so romantic strolls with your best gal by your side would be nice.

Nibbler

710 77345
Aug 12, 2014
Westdene
At this stage in our evolution we have virtually eradicated suffering with no wars or tyranny. We enjoy equality of race and gender, and we've learned to co-exist with nature, harnessing limitless green energy and curbed our worrying population explosion. I think we can agree that greed and selfishness are now a thing of the past. BHA are also fortunate enough to have a manager who is poised to take the club to european glory (maybe).

All things considered it seems like the perfect time to spread our wings and find other corners of the universe that could benefit from our existence.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
At this stage in our evolution we have virtually eradicated suffering with no wars or tyranny. We enjoy equality of race and gender, and we've learned to co-exist with nature, harnessing limitless green energy and curbed our worrying population explosion. I think we can agree that greed and selfishness are now a thing of the past. BHA are also fortunate enough to have a manager who is poised to take the club to european glory (maybe).

All things considered it seems like the perfect time to spread our wings and find other corners of the universe that could benefit from our existence.

Will we ever play Association Football with another Intergalactic species I wonder. Ours rules though.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
With all the increased knowledge of the number/type of exoplanets that exist in our galaxy over the last decade, astrobiologists have a better stab at what the Input numbers should be in the Drake equation.

There are plenty of stabs that have been reported. Here’s one from NASA:

‘ ... human civilization is likely to be unique in the cosmos only if the odds of a civilization developing on a habitable planet are less than about one in 10 billion trillion... Think of it this way. Before our result you’d be considered a pessimist if you imagined the probability of evolving a civilization on a habitable planet were, say, one in a trillion. But even that guess, one chance in a trillion, implies that what has happened here on Earth with humanity has in fact happened about a 10 billion other times over cosmic history!”’ ...vanishing small chances.

https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/news/1350/are-we-alone-in-the-universe-revisiting-the-drake-equation/

This chap has done some excellent work on what we may find if there are others out there.
Follows on nicely from what you have posted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here