Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Is it good we are pushing further into space.?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I went to see Brian Cox last year, he summed up the universe by saying - imagine when you pour milk into a coffee and it starts to mix together, that's the universe with us in it atm. Eventually it will all end.

Not the most cheery summary I'll admit

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We are not going to get far enough out to cause any mischief, God cleverly spaced out ( no pun intended) planetary civilisations so it's harder to meet.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
NASA already have plans to visit Titan again including using a helicopter type machine to fly around the sky and a similar boat one to float on the liquid methane lakes.. Fascinating stuff.
As for intelligent life in the universe, I'm a bit surprised that SETI has not detected any radio signals from anywhere extratarrestrial as of yet, and they have been looking for some while.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I went to see Brian Cox last year, he summed up the universe by saying - imagine when you pour milk into a coffee and it starts to mix together, that's the universe with us in it atm. Eventually it will all end.

Not the most cheery summary I'll admit

I do like the way Brian Cox puts things in a way I can understand.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
All this effort looking for just the tiniest organism on another planet, when we’re shit scared or them on this planet.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
NASA already have plans to visit Titan again including using a helicopter type machine to fly around the sky and a similar boat one to float on the liquid methane lakes.. Fascinating stuff.
As for intelligent life in the universe, I'm a bit surprised that SETI has not detected any radio signals from anywhere extratarrestrial as of yet, and they have been looking for some while.

I read something interesting last year that said it was highly probable other civilisation could exist in other planets but the likelihood of them existing at the same time is very unlikely.
It may well be we discover ancient archaeological sites as we land on other planets rather than beings at a similar stage of development which is just as exciting.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I think many generations from now, mining and living on other bodies within the solar system will be common. Not proper terraforming but science will be able to sustain us just like we could now in the oceans if we really wanted to and money was invested.

That said we'll **** it up a couple of times before doing it right and probably have a world war 3 over something related to it first. Unless it's the factor that brings all the countries together under the chinese yoke as humans that is.

Dec 29, 2011
I think many generations from now, mining and living on other bodies within the solar system will be common. Not proper terraforming but science will be able to sustain us just like we could now in the oceans if we really wanted to and money was invested.

That said we'll **** it up a couple of times before doing it right and probably have a world war 3 over something related to it first. Unless it's the factor that brings all the countries together under the chinese yoke as humans that is.

I thought covid may have done that, but it seems we're more divided than ever (mask v no mask)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I read something interesting last year that said it was highly probable other civilisation could exist in other planets but the likelihood of them existing at the same time is very unlikely.
It may well be we discover ancient archaeological sites as we land on other planets rather than beings at a similar stage of development which is just as exciting.

With all the increased knowledge of the number/type of exoplanets that exist in our galaxy over the last decade, astrobiologists have a better stab at what the Input numbers should be in the Drake equation.

There are plenty of stabs that have been reported. Here’s one from NASA:

‘ ... human civilization is likely to be unique in the cosmos only if the odds of a civilization developing on a habitable planet are less than about one in 10 billion trillion... Think of it this way. Before our result you’d be considered a pessimist if you imagined the probability of evolving a civilization on a habitable planet were, say, one in a trillion. But even that guess, one chance in a trillion, implies that what has happened here on Earth with humanity has in fact happened about a 10 billion other times over cosmic history!”’ ...vanishing small chances.

https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/news/1350/are-we-alone-in-the-universe-revisiting-the-drake-equation/

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
What do you mean by “pushing further “ ?
Unmanned exploration like “ Voyager” and the more recent machines sent to Mars and a comet is one thing ...and that is valid scientific discovery. The manned Apollo type programmes and Space Station seem pointless. We have been doing it for over 50 years and what have we got? Apart from non stick saucepans, nothing....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I willing to bet that the end of most planetary civilisations coincides with the election of a thick, narssisic Orange coloured leader with a low intellect.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Unmanned exploration like “ Voyager” and the more recent machines sent to Mars and a comet is one thing ...and that is valid scientific discovery. The manned Apollo type programmes and Space Station seem pointless. We have been doing it for over 50 years and what have we got? Apart from non stick saucepans, nothing....
And Velcro.... A giant leap forwards for people who can't tie shoelaces.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Highly recommend The Planets on BBC dont know whether it's still on catch up

May 5, 2020
Sussex
With all the increased knowledge of the number/type of exoplanets that exist in our galaxy over the last decade, astrobiologists have a better stab at what the Input numbers should be in the Drake equation.

There are plenty of stabs that have been reported. Here’s one from NASA:

‘ ... human civilization is likely to be unique in the cosmos only if the odds of a civilization developing on a habitable planet are less than about one in 10 billion trillion... Think of it this way. Before our result you’d be considered a pessimist if you imagined the probability of evolving a civilization on a habitable planet were, say, one in a trillion. But even that guess, one chance in a trillion, implies that what has happened here on Earth with humanity has in fact happened about a 10 billion other times over cosmic history!”’ ...vanishing small chances.

https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/news/1350/are-we-alone-in-the-universe-revisiting-the-drake-equation/

Thanks for that link,it really quite fascinating and certainly fires the imagination.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

And mine still stick sometimes. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here