Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Heskey The Oldest To Score At The Amex?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Certainly proved a handful for our centre backs, I was impressed by Heskey today.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Have to say I did think the same, but just went with the lazy Saturday night option of quoting the Argus. 'My bad' as we used to say in the olden days. :down:
I thought My Bad was a fairly recent saying, maybe the last 15 years. Not said in the 70s and 80s I think.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I had a quick fiddle with Mavis in the back row of the North Stand and I'm 53. Does that count?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
'In the winter sunshine, chairman Dick Knight scored the first goal at Falmer when he shot past first-team goalkeeper John Sullivan into a goal fashioned from two diggers. Mr Knight said: “It is a fantastic feeling to be here today and especially to score the first goal at Falmer – although my penalty wasn’t too convincing".'

:moo:

I thought Dick Knight missed and Martin Perry scored?

Have to say I did think the same, but just went with the lazy Saturday night option of quoting the Argus. 'My bad' as we used to say in the olden days. :down:

From the Albion programme of 26 December 2008 against Colchester - Colchester prog

Dick Knight may have failed where the five Albion penalty-takers succeeded less than 24 hours previously at Shrewsbury's New Meadow, but it didn't matter a jot to any of the crowd congregated to the side of John Sullivan's goal just off Village Way, Falmer.

With diggers for goalposts, what did matter was the fact that the chairman was being given the opportunity to attempt to put the ball past keeper Sullivan - along with chief executive Martin Perry, who did succeed - on the very spot where in years to come Leo Ulloa will make a complete arse of himself...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Don't get the jeering of him today. The guy has had a great career, and I'll never forget when he scored in the Germany 5-1 rout.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Don't get the jeering of him today. The guy has had a great career, and I'll never forget when he scored in the Germany 5-1 rout.

What a day that was. On my 33rd birthday, watched it in the students' union at University having just completed my Masters. Happy days.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What a day that was. On my 33rd birthday, watched it in the students' union at University having just completed my Masters. Happy days.

I was the only Englishman in a bar full of Germans in Spain. Marvellous scenes :lolol:

Heskey reminds me of Ashley Barnes, seems to get abuse from idiots who are determined to prove they know nothing about football.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
certainly older than Bobby

come to think of it

can you name any, say 35+

that have either scored for the Albion or even against us?

20th august 2011 Phillips scored twice against us. He's 42 now so probably about 37 at the time.

Yep Phillips had just turned 38 when he scored a last minute equaliser against us in 2011/12 in that Aug 20 home game v Blackpool.

Heskey is the oldest to score for or against the Albion at the Amex by exactly one week. Kevin Phillips was 38 years and 26 days old, Heskey is 38 years and 33 days old.

The next oldest is Michael Brown who was 35 years and 282 days old when he scored for Leeds on November 2 2012.

Bobby Zamora is the oldest Albion scorer, his goal against Huddersfield coming with him being 35 years and 7 days old. No other players aged over 35 have scored in a league or cup game at the Amex (Matthew Upson was the oldest Albion scorer prior to this season).

Jake Forster-Caskey is the youngest Amex scorer, being just 17 years and 252 days old when he scored against Southampton on January 2 2012. JFC actually has the two "youngest" goals, also scoring against Wrexham in the FA Cup a few days later. The next youngest scorer is Charlton's Ademola Lookman who was 18 years and 46 days old when he scored on December 5 last year. Then comes Nathan Redmond, Sean Murray and Wilfried Zaha who were all less than 19 years old when they scored. (James Wilson is the second-youngest Albion scorer, and Kazenga LuaLua the third-youngest).

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
David James was 41 when he played when Calderon scored that great goal.

Yep, David James is the oldest player to appear at the Amex (for or against Albion in first-team league or cup), being 41 years and 166 days old on January 14 2012. Huddersfield's Ian Bennett was actually aged over 42 when he was an unused sub on December 21 2013 and three other unused sub goalies were all aged over 41 (Neil Sullivan, Ian Bennett again and Maik Taylor).

Kevin Phillips is the oldest outfield player to play at the Amex, being 39 years and 235 days old when he came on as a sub for Palace in the St Patrick's Day massacre. He was obviously older when an unused sub for them two months later. Mauricio Taricco is the oldest outfield starter (and obviously oldest Albion player) who was 38 years and 298 days old when he played against Southampton in the same game in which JFC became the youngest scorer. Kevin Phillips again is the oldest outfield starter for an opponent at the Amex in the game where he notched twice for Blackpool (38 years and 26 days old). Steve Harper is the oldest Albion goalkeeper to play.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Just for completeness sake: Jake Forster-Caskey is the youngest player to appear at the Amex (17 years and 252 days old for that Southampton game). There are actually four players who were all unused subs for their teams who were younger than JFC; Peterborough's Jermaine Anderson and Derby's Mason Bennett were not yet 17, and Pompey's Adam Webster and Birmingham's Demarai Gray had reached the age of 17). Derby's Will Hughes is the youngest opponent to face Albion at the Amex, being 17 years and 270 days old when he started on January 12 2013.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Yep, David James is the oldest player to appear at the Amex (for or against Albion in first-team league or cup), being 41 years and 166 days old on January 14 2012. Huddersfield's Ian Bennett was actually aged over 42 when he was an unused sub on December 21 2013 and three other unused sub goalies were all aged over 41 (Neil Sullivan, Ian Bennett again and Maik Taylor).

Kevin Phillips is the oldest outfield player to play at the Amex, being 39 years and 235 days old when he came on as a sub for Palace in the St Patrick's Day massacre. He was obviously older when an unused sub for them two months later. Mauricio Taricco is the oldest outfield starter (and obviously oldest Albion player) who was 38 years and 298 days old when he played against Southampton in the same game in which JFC became the youngest scorer. Kevin Phillips again is the oldest outfield starter for an opponent at the Amex in the game where he notched twice for Blackpool (38 years and 26 days old). Steve Harper is the oldest Albion goalkeeper to play.

Correcting my error above, Emile Heskey is now of course the oldest outfield starter for an opponent at the Amex, being 38 years and 33 days old yesterday.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Heskey has never been involved in anything bad and he's been a great role model for the game. By looking after himself he can still do a decent job in a struggling side. I hope he can carry on playing for another three or four years like Teddy Sheringham did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here