Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Guus Hiddink good enough?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Beach Hut said:
He was the best at the time but was set up and I do not believe he is that unpopular.

OK money will not ensure immediate success but it is a very good starting point.

I just want an English manager. We have managerial talent in this country and I think it's best to develop it rather hire in foreign coaches whom people perceive to be brilliant because they have a good club record abroad. As Sven showed it may not translate successfully.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
DJ Leon said:
I just want an English manager. We have managerial talent in this country and I think it's best to develop it rather hire in foreign coaches whom people perceive to be brilliant because they have a good club record abroad. As Sven showed it may not translate successfully.

I would like an English manager as well but to achieve this the FA need to put a better structure in place which is not there at present.

Therefore the only option is another foreign import.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I stick with my view that the FA will appoint Trevor Brooking because of his, clean cut squeaky clean image and also he is in a senior position at the FA already but possibly with an up and coming coach under him..

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Beach Hut said:
I would like an English manager as well but to achieve this the FA need to put a better structure in place which is not there at present.

Therefore the only option is another foreign import.

Why is there no other option? Why not appoint an Englishman?

And what structure are you looking for? And where has it worked successfully anywhere else?

E

enigma

DJ Leon said:

And what structure are you looking for? And where has it worked successfully anywhere else?

The english managers aren't of the same standard. Better to wait until someone is groomed then take someone on just because they're english when there are better calibre foreign coaches out there.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
DJ Leon said:

Germany, Holland and France - appoint a player a few years back and they get success bar Vogts in Scotland :lolol: :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
enigma said:
The english managers aren't of the same standard. Better to wait until someone is groomed then take someone on just because they're english when there are better calibre foreign coaches out there.

I avoided the groom word as it it mis-interpreted :p

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Beach Hut said:
Germany, Holland and France - appoint a player a few years back and they get success bar Vogts in Scotland :lolol: :lolol:

Don't understand that. What coaches are we talking about that have been massively successful with these countries? Who are they and how were they 'groomed'?

Stendahl

May 5, 2004
I feel as though the worthy likes of Allardyce, Curbishley, Pearce, etc need to get a little bit of experience coaching different styles of players than the full-on Premiership athletes before they should be considered. I cannot imagine any of them ever getting a job abroad. I suppose Peter Taylor is out of the question...

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
The idea of any of the English candidates getting the job fills me with complete DREAD.

Capello is clearly a very good manager but I think he would struggle with our players preferring a more aggressive up-tempo game which, as an Italian, he does not.

In contrast that is exactly how Korea played under Hiddink. Whatever you think of Sven he has done a good job but has just missed out in big games as a result of his conservative management style. This would never happen under Hiddink because he is a 'go for it' manager.

The same applies to Big Phil Scolari, either will do.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hope fully we'll ge the best available, Hiddink or Scolari would be my personal choices. I'd love an Englishman but the brutal fact is unless we're prepared to settle for second-best we shouldn't have one - sadly we could probably name 20 managers world-wide before you found a decent English one.

PS - Following on from BensGrandad's scary suggestion that the FA might give it to Trevor Brooking I can think of an even worse one - Howard Wilkinson. They're not that stupid are they? Well probably not but if no one else wants to do it .......

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
It's got to be either Hiddink or Catherine Zeta Jones.

CZJ has more front ( :love: ), but Hiddink would probably distract the players less.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here