Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is David Gedge's songwriting WORLD CLASS?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just listened to that above...they seem to make a decent sound, songs are ok...would I go and buy an album of theirs, probably not.

I am revisiting all my allman brothers albums at the moment. Now they are/were class and truly world class.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
In 1992 The Wedding present had 12 different top thirty singles in the charts. A record only matched by Elvis.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Please list the chart positions this would be helpful.

What's the point? It was a short release monthly 7", where all WP and record collectors could buy them up pronto. The following week they were gone, out of the charts. It's an interesting fact but has no bearing on how amazing the WP were (and him and his band can still set the place alight).

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
How many proper hits has he written? You know songs that made the top 20 for more than a week and received substantial radio airplay. How many cover versions are there of his songs? Because to me unless the answer is a) lots and b) a shedload it's not really world class.

boik

How many proper hits has he written? You know songs that made the top 20 for more than a week and received substantial radio airplay. How many cover versions are there of his songs? Because to me unless the answer is a) lots and b) a shedload it's not really world class.

What, top 20 hits like The Birdy Song, and AShaddup Ya Face????

You are falling for the popular=good fallacy. Most grown-ups can see past that.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What's the point? It was a short release monthly 7", where all WP and record collectors could buy them up pronto. The following week they were gone, out of the charts. It's an interesting fact but has no bearing on how amazing the WP were (and him and his band can still set the place alight).

I have had a listen now to The Wedding Present, My Favourite Dress, Shatner and A million Miles and I think they are good, they sound similar to the early Smiths stuff.

Still can not agree with the world class bit and until late last night I had honestly never heard of your man Gedge.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
:nono: you are never going to get proper appreciation of such talent, amongst the wider NSC community Corgi. It's all Collins, Springsteen and Tina Turner for them.

Get yourself back to the sanctuary of the PROPER music thread, if you want to discuss such things with enlightened folk...

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Ha ha! There's hundreds of us.

“The boy Gedge has written some of the best love songs of the 'Rock ‘n’ Roll' era. You may dispute this, but I’m right and you’re wrong!” John Peel.

I will hold my hands up you have converted me into liking The WP today.
cant really argue with John Peel.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Enjoy the Spice Girls.

He's 4 promotions in 11 withdean seasons class

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Not only The Wedding Present, but also the wonderful Cinerama. Torino is a fantastic LP

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
What, top 20 hits like The Birdy Song, and AShaddup Ya Face????

You are falling for the popular=good fallacy. Most grown-ups can see past that.

No i'm not. I'm not saying that a one off top twenty hit makes someone a good songwriter, i'm saying world class songwriters have multiple songs that are hits and are widely covered by a range of artists. You know world class songwriters like Lennon and McCartney, Burt Bacarach, Holland Dozier Holland.

boik

No i'm not. I'm not saying that a one off top twenty hit makes someone a good songwriter, i'm saying world class songwriters have multiple songs that are hits and are widely covered by a range of artists. You know world class songwriters like Lennon and McCartney, Burt Bacarach, Holland Dozier Holland.

It's true that those you quote a lauded as world class, but they do tend towards the saccharin. My favourite lyrical wordsmith is Mark Kozelek, and he won't get within a million miles of the charts.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'm still grinning ................. but then I am still tipsy :)

Peel session better than the single ........ drums dirtier. Last night was fantastic

still grinning

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
:nono: you are never going to get proper appreciation of such talent, amongst the wider NSC community Corgi. It's all Collins, Springsteen and Tina Turner for them.

Get yourself back to the sanctuary of the PROPER music thread, if you want to discuss such things with enlightened folk...

Just got in from the sunshine and going to take on board your sound advice. Back to Indie tracks, Live Music and Album of 2013.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here