Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Chanctonbury Ring Haunted!!!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Is it haunted! i went mountain up there sat evening and it felt very very wierd. A feeling of being watched etc.

Ive consequently looked up a lot of information about chanctonbury on google, and its all leads to ghosts, the devil and para normal activites.

There are many pieces of lore connected with the Ring, the most famous being of a common type where the object is walked or run around. In the case of the Ring, if you walk (or run) seven times (sometimes running backwards or anti-clockwise) around it on a dark or moonless night (one account says Midsummer Eve at 7pm, another May Day Eve, another at midnight, during the time it takes a clock to strike midnight) without stopping, the Devil will appear and offer you a bowl of milk, soup or porridge (reports vary). Some say that if you accept, he will take your soul, or grant you your dearest wish

So is this place haunted and would anyone camp in the ring over night?if we all chipped in for a bet?

jmc

Jul 11, 2003
Portslade
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

sounds like the next NSC meet up venue is sorted, camping trip :lolol:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
well whose up for camping up there???

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
yeah! i hate clapham woods! just doing a search of these place on the net is freaky!

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
I went there one mid-summer night in 1985 - some real freaky goings on - I literally shat myself!

Woooooooo.................Whoooooooooo............(Ghost sound)

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Bramber Castle is known for ghostly going ons...apparently you can hear children crying and screaming in the dead of the night!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
yes theres many dodgy stories of the place! but i have to see to believe!so until then ..........

Me and a bunch of mates camped out in the ring once about 15 year ago, because it was rumoured that no-one had ever survived a whole night there, and it was totally scary. One of my mates said he saw shooting white lights above his head. I also tried walking backwards around the ring 7 times at dawn to see if the devil appeared and was most disappointed. Not a sausage. Not even a minotaur or a goat-boy.
On another occasion me and some others heard what can only be described as a freaking' loud and deep growling coming from the surrounding woods on the way up to the ring itself. I've never run so fast in my whole life. This was around the time that there were sightings of a Sussex Puma. But the noises I heard were too loud and big to come from a cat sized animal.
Apparently Julius Caeser used the ring originally to burn Catholics (what a good idea), so no wonder it's a bit spooky up there.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Ya big jessies . . . .its just a clump of trees which is a great look out post, you can see for miles on a clear day!

:lolol:

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
I've been up there loads of times and it does have a very strange atmosphere. When I was at school my old mate Chris tried to do the running backwards thing but fell over and couldn't stand up after two laps. He did it naked, although whether that was down to a deep knowlege of how it should be done or his penchant for taking his clothes off in public at every opportunity I'm not sure. The Druids use the Ring and I've seen some strange stuff going on there of a night but no Roman Legions or Devils (I think!). I agree with Vicar, don't mess with it. I've seen some right double-hard bastards reduced to tears by dabbling with the paranormal. I'm off to The Mermaid Inn in Rye this weekend, reputedly one of the most haunted buildings in England. I shall report back any trouser-browning moments (well, maybe not all).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here