Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is British music on its death bed ?

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
The trouble with British music is that is is very insular. Which was the last British band to break the USA and then go on to become a Worldwide success? None of the current band mentioned above. Are known outside these shores. The big British bands from the 60s - 80s still rule the roost abroad, like it or not our up and coming music is not the international force it was. I know, a lot will say so what and stick 2 fingers up to the Yanks, before debating the merits of Northern Soul.............

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think current UK music is excellent.......no more and no less influenced by outside trends than it ever was.....and perfectly capable of holding its own with any sounds from anywhere. The whole "breaking the US market" thing has always been vastly overdone. We are not listening in the States. We are listening here.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
With the Internet and the likes of Spotify and YouTube, it is easier than ever to get your music out there for public consumption, without the need for the likes of Simon Cowell or radio 1 telling us what we should be listening to.

There are some awesome singers and bands out there if you make a little effort to look for them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The answer to the question is a resounding big fat NO. It's one of life's mysteries why the small UK can consistently throw up such great music but it does, it's does it frequently and in volume.

Just go onto the Albums or Live thread and you'll see.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think current UK music is excellent.......no more and no less influenced by outside trends than it ever was.....and perfectly capable of holding its own with any sounds from anywhere. The whole "breaking the US market" thing has always been vastly overdone. We are not listening in the States. We are listening here.

This.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Which was the last British band to break the USA and then go on to become a Worldwide success?..

Anusingly. The answer is probably One Direction. Or Coldplay.

If you don't want to count them, look at Muse or Bush. The latter in particular are huge in the States.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

If you don't want to count them, look at Muse or Bush. The latter in particular are huge in the States.

One of the biggest artists at the moment, from own work, production, live and song-writing for others, is Calvin Harris. Currently huge in the US and not so shabby elsewhere.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
:lolol:

The only limit to the amount of good music you can find from all nations these days is the extent of your imagination. Variety and access to music has never been greater, you just need to scratch a little below the business music at the surface to find it. I'll entertain the OP though.

If you want to talk about the commercial potential of non manufactured British music - The XX, Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay, Radiohead, Foals, James Blake, Adele, Kasabian, Calvin Harris, Dizee Rascal and Disclosure. I'm far from a fan of all of them but all could undoubtedly headline major festivals abroad.

Don't get me started on the Uk Underground. It is as vibrant and healthy as it has ever been with Brighton emerging in the last 5 years or so as an absolute hotbed of creativity.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Saw Passenger at the Brighton Dome last week. A brilliant Brighton boy that is currently conquering the world on tour.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
:lolol:

The only limit to the amount of good music you can find from all nations these days is the extent of your imagination. Variety and access to music has never been greater, you just need to scratch a little below the business music at the surface to find it. I'll entertain the OP though.

If you want to talk about the commercial potential of non manufactured British music - The XX, Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay, Radiohead, Foals, James Blake, Adele, Kasabian, Calvin Harris, Dizee Rascal and Disclosure. I'm far from a fan of all of them but all could undoubtedly headline major festivals abroad.

Don't get me started on the Uk Underground. It is as vibrant and healthy as it has ever been with Brighton emerging in the last 5 years or so as an absolute hotbed of creativity.

Well said. The fact you can see a decent live band virtually every night of the week in Brighton says it all. In fact, it has become so popular that there are nights when its hard to decide who it is you will go and watch. There has always been brilliant music about-you just have to be prepared to search for it and invest a bit of time. One of the most exciting bands for me at the moment are Sleaford Mods both of whom are in their mid forties so its not all about being young either.

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013

in 2012 4 of the top 5 selling albums in USA were british artists, Adele, 2 from One direction and Mumford

clearly this would be of no interest to the OP as they are not old ex gak heads in denim

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
and by the by UK has been leading the world in dance music for 25 years now

Jungle, UKG, Dubstep whole freakin genres invented right here

thing I always find odd is am sure there is plenty of great derivative soft rock or whatever for those who want to wallow in past but to say music is rubbish is just code for saying ' I am an old fart who has given up on life'

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
in 2012 4 of the top 5 selling albums in USA were british artists, Adele, 2 from One direction and Mumford

clearly this would be of no interest to the OP as they are not old ex gak heads in denim

Whatever part of the spectrum you care to look at, mainstream right through to underground, new UK music holds its own. No question about it.

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
I mean its pretty much the one thing we as a nation proper stand tall for so mad to cuss it when there is so much else we can feel bad about

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It sort of gets airbrushed out of the rose tinted picture people imagine the 60s and 70s were all about but there was a lot of rubbish around then as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here