Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Beckenbauer right about England?

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Why is it that when we pass it a long way forward it's 'kick and rush' or 'hit and hope' and yet when the Germans play a long ball forward - like for their second goal against the Aussies - it's always described as a 'precision pass' or 'pinpoint delivery'?

because they scored.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I wonder how the word "codswallop" translates in German!

I think we pitched in with some long ball stuff because we thought it would help us beat the USA, and it could have worked, but for a goalkeeping howler.

I'd like to think that Capello is able to command the troops to change their style of play to best fit the oppo. For instance, if we try a purely passing game against Argentina or Brazil, we'll get trounced.

Fair point and it was always going to be tough using wingers as it was mentioned at the start that the pitch was very narrow and it did look like there was a lack of space out there

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Of course hes right.

best example, he was going mad at green for rolling the ball to the full backs and trying to build from the back.. instead he was telling him to lanuch it long....

Huh? The following is taken from the article:

He will certainly bridle at Beckenbauer’s verdict on the football England play under him, given how hard the Italian has concentrated on adapting the team’s style to make it more measured. In his first match in charge, against Switzerland in February 2008, he identified that the players were too dependent on hitting the ball long and has tried to instil a passing - as well as a pressing - game.

ndeed after that match, Capello’s right-hand man, Franco Baldini, commented on the lack of “technical skill” in the squad, although he now believes it has more to do with a lack of confidence.

“We are trying to play more with the ball because the English culture is after two, three horizontal passes the crowd is asking for the ball [in the air].”

That has, at times, continued and Capello has reacted with frustration, for example berating goalkeeper Joe Hart for his long clearances against the club side Platinum Stars last Monday.

You sure you're not just making that up?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Hes a cock end, so we didnt play great in the first game and we made mistakes selection wise etc.

Capello is if anything i hope a man who can see the error of his ways and adjust accordingly, unlike Sven in the past who did nothing about it.

Capello will be decisive and we will improve dramatically over the coming games.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I thought I'd wait til I'd seen the "technically gifted" Portuguese team before I made A comment on this...I find it laughable that there is always criticism of the English style of football when for years, we've been on the whole sucessful in club European football over the last 50-60 years.

However, what strikes me is that having watched most of the games so far is that whilst alot of teams are "technically" good (I.e. They can keep posession of the ball well); it is the most boring, dull & uninspiring football to watch.

So Mr Beckenbauer, yes we might play "kick & rush" football but i'd rather be entertained than having to pay £50 to be bored off my tits!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
*cough* :angel:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here