Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is AVG still the best free anti virus?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Before moving to Mac OSX a couple of years ago, I was using Microsoft Security Essentials (free) on my PC. Didn't appear to let any nasties into my PC. Might be worth a go?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I use the free Avast product at home & have never had a problem with it.

We use the Avast corporate edition at work, which has turned into a right pain in the last couple of weeks, with even internal email flagged as spam about 50% of the time... it sucks balls!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Microsoft Security Essentials is widely considered the best now.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Before moving to Mac OSX a couple of years ago, I was using Microsoft Security Essentials (free) on my PC. Didn't appear to let any nasties into my PC. Might be worth a go?

Yeah this is what I did, I always recommend it when asked by my non tech savy mates. very unobtrusive as well.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Avast! All day long, had it for over a year and NEVER had a problem.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Went from AVG to MSE

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Has anybody esle using AVG free been upgared to the full version for one month on a trial? when i refuse to buy the full version at the end of thr trial will my AVG free still be working, or do i have to re-install? (will i even have the option too?)

Thanks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i use AVG, mainly out of habit. i dont think theres much difference between them, other than a day or two either way in releasing updates for newly discovered malware.

you dont need to upgrade at the end of the month, just be carefull what you click when you install and when you do manual update, they will try to encourage the demo/pay for versions. you dont get a load of features, but if you are behind a firewall (and most will be with them as default in adsl routers nowadays) and have Windows security switched on, those features are mostly resource hogs.

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010

Been using this for a few years and is top class, never let anything in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here