Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is Anyone Here, Looking to House a Ukranian Refugee?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Also what happens when they go out and come home late/drunk etc. its not like you can just threaten to chuck them out.
If offering a room, that's something I'd want to learn more about. I'm not convinced it's not possible to get them to leave if needed. Since you get a chance to speak to refugees before you commit, you could discuss areas that could be an issue - like whether they'd like to be out late etc.

my sister twice had foreign students to stay and said never again as they basically took the p1ss and recked the house. not saying the poor refugees would do this but i would guess if you take anyone in better a 40+ year old than a young adult.
We've had dozens of students from around all around the world stay with us over the last 10 years, and they've been great. 2 of them took the piss, but they didn't wreck anything, and they had to leave.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
My delightful neighbours are decent church going retirees with a very green lifestyle and a lovely outlook on life. Recycle everything to the n'th degree, solar panels on the roof, electric car etc. They have a Ukrainian flag outside their door and are taking a Ukrainian family soon. Must admit, I wonder how it will work when my neighbours go on holiday (which they have already booked) and just leave the other family to their own devices in their home and our little village. Fortunately they have a four bedroom home with plenty of room and a big double garage for storage. I imagine it will be an enriching experience in so many ways, but I also hope they haven't bitten off more than they can chew.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My delightful neighbours are decent church going retirees with a very green lifestyle and a lovely outlook on life. Recycle everything to the n'th degree, solar panels on the roof, electric car etc. They have a Ukrainian flag outside their door and are taking a Ukrainian family soon. Must admit, I wonder how it will work when my neighbours go on holiday (which they have already booked) and just leave the other family to their own devices in their home and our little village. Fortunately they have a four bedroom home with plenty of room and a big double garage for storage. I imagine it will be an enriching experience in so many ways, but I also hope they haven't bitten off more than they can chew.

Being delightful decent people, I've no doubt that they are completely unaware of how their neighbours lives are being eaten up with jealousy :shrug:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Being delightful decent people, I've no doubt that they are completely unaware of how their neighbours lives are being eaten up with jealousy :shrug:

What an odd and entirely unexpected response. They really are the best possible neighbours. We have had dinner at each other's homes, take in parcels for each other and share many similar values and can rely on each other's support. Not sure what I have to be jealous of. Possibly your post says more about you than me. I was simply trying to illustrate that they and the Ukrainians may come from very different backgrounds. I truly admire them for what they are doing.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
In my experience, some Ukrainians are different in many ways to Brits, some live their lives very differently to us but some live the same. If they come from a city they are more likely to be similar. Im not saying that they wont go out on the lash and come back late at night but you have to remember that most will be vulnerable people. Mothers with children, Elderly people. They are a far more family orientated society. There are many reasons you can think of not to house a refugee from this war or any other but there is only one reason you should think of, to actually do it.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
What an odd and entirely unexpected response. They really are the best possible neighbours. We have had dinner at each other's homes, take in parcels for each other and share many similar values and can rely on each other's support. Not sure what I have to be jealous of. Possibly your post says more about you than me. I was simply trying to illustrate that they and the Ukrainians may come from very different backgrounds. I truly admire them for what they are doing.

Probably best to ignore the troll.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really, really torn by this thing…….and not feeling too good about where I am on this to be honest. Got the space (kids have both left home) and have no financial incentive or concerns that would be impacted by taking people in, but just can’t get our heads around the potential disruption this would cause. The constant presence, the effects of trauma, communication issues, the impact on daily life, potentially leaving strangers in the house when we’re away etc etc. 100% aware this is an incredibly selfish way to think about it, and have deep admiration for anyone prepared to give up their home and part of their lifestyle.

May or may not be alone in this but it’s tearing me up somewhat. Not a nice feeling.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Really, really torn by this thing…….and not feeling too good about where I am on this to be honest. Got the space (kids have both left home) and have no financial incentive or concerns that would be impacted by taking people in, but just can’t get our heads around the potential disruption this would cause. The constant presence, the effects of trauma, communication issues, the impact on daily life, potentially leaving strangers in the house when we’re away etc etc. 100% aware this is an incredibly selfish way to think about it, and have deep admiration for anyone prepared to give up their home and part of their lifestyle.

May or may not be alone in this but it’s tearing me up somewhat. Not a nice feeling.

….and that’s why it’s best to make an informed considered decision rather than react on an emotion (imho)…all the best

Ps not selfish at all

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

In which case I apologise completely for really badly misinterpreting your post.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I expect your lovely neighbours might be hoping that their guests will be welcomed by you and your family, and others around too. We are certainly hoping that our guest will have our neighbours, friends and families support too.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

It is not just families that need housing, if you don't think you could cope with a family. There will be some communication issues, but tech can help, have a look at this if you are on the fence and especially if you think you would like to sponsor. https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/ukrai...term=viewevent
People on the presentation give useful advice and things to consider before you rule yourself in or out.

Last edited:

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North

FWIW, in my book, you are one of the good guys on here. Dont beat yourself up over this decision. If its not right for you, its not right. If you genuinely want to help out in any way then there are plenty of other ways. Support groups are popping up to help, not just for sponsees but for sponsors too. Just get involved in your own area, or nationally, or internationally, whatever works for you. See what happens in your area over the coming weeks and months.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

Totally understandable mate.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
FWIW, in my book, you are one of the good guys on here. Dont beat yourself up over this decision. If its not right for you, its not right. If you genuinely want to help out in any way then there are plenty of other ways. Support groups are popping up to help, not just for sponsees but for sponsors too. Just get involved in your own area, or nationally, or internationally, whatever works for you. See what happens in your area over the coming weeks and months.

Tks. Interestingly had a chat with a mate in a similar position this morning and he and his wife had come to exactly the same conclusion……..
Agree re other ways, have already made some donations and will be looking in to more practical stuff.

Well after speaking with family and friends, I've decided not to go there at this time. I think it's a big risk and will be.a lot of work particularly when I work long hours.

I would absolutely do it if there was more time.

If the situation got REALLY bad then I'd feel I'd want to do my bit to help, just like most people would.

To the tossers on here who are the usual anti foreign brigade etc put yourself in their shoes!

And no, I'm not doing this for attention, it was a very interesting to see what people thought.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Well after speaking with family and friends, I've decided not to go there at this time. I think it's a big risk and will be.a lot of work particularly when I work long hours.

I would absolutely do it if there was more time.

If the situation got REALLY bad then I'd feel I'd want to do my bit to help, just like most people would.

To the tossers on here who are the usual anti foreign brigade etc put yourself in their shoes!

And no, I'm not doing this for attention, it was a very interesting to see what people thought.

We are still waiting on Visa approval, 3 weeks after helping our new friend fill out her application, and submitting our details as sponsors. We have had DBS checks done, West Sussex have been in touch to say that our home will be inspected (make sure we are not expecting her to sleep in the shed). Good on you for exploring the possibility, and also not being naive about what it might take to make it work, we are lucky in that we can count on wider family support, and I don't have a problem with having a day off or 20 at short notice and my wife has a lot of flexibility too.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Shame the same offers weren't made to people escaping from The Yemen, Afghanistan and Syria..............ah, hold on ! theyre not white Europeans !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here