Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is Anyone Here, Looking to House a Ukranian Refugee?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Thank you. Genuinely very kind. However, to clarify, after this post I won't be using NSC for as long as it continues to provide a platform for Ppf to post his racist and homophobic bile. I would love to return but not while his hate speech is allowed unchecked on here.

Anyway, that's enough of my derailing. Adieu.

Just block them… maybe a short term break will help but don’t be a stranger :(

I really take my hat off to anyone offering to help and offer accommodation. It’s not about Ukrainians it’s just about humanity.

I’d love to help out but 2 young kids, 3 cats in a two bed flat is driving us up the wall as it is.

i worry that some good meaning people will initially do it partly for the money (as well as being decent human beings) but £350 wont go far when they are so traumatised they cant be left alone, have to have their own meals made , etc. Also what happens when they go out and come home late/drunk etc. its not like you can just threaten to chuck them out.
my sister twice had foreign students to stay and said never again as they basically took the p1ss and recked the house. not saying the poor refugees would do this but i would guess if you take anyone in better a 40+ year old than a young adult.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
i worry that some good meaning people will initially do it partly for the money (as well as being decent human beings) but £350 wont go far when they are so traumatised they cant be left alone.

That's a fair point. But if we break the losing streak with a win against Norwich I reckon most of us will start to feel a lot better.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have a mate who went to visit a friend in Slovakia a few years back, and via meeting an old man and the old guy getting him absolutely smashed on slivovica, woke up to discover he had bought 2 dilapidated adjoining barns. He had a bit of a panic, tried to back out of the deal but discovered it would cost as much as keeping them, so he kept them, since then he decided to do something useful with them and had resolved to create a school with accommodation out of them, he has done a lot of work and was not far off getting the accommodation barn habitable, but took a break with his partner to visit her family in New Zealand and has kind of been stuck there since because of Covid for the last 2 years. Any how, he has now realised he could host refugees there, but needs to get back and get the roof insulated, some partition walls put in, some plumbing and carpentry. I went out in 2019 and did some brickwork for him, and will probably be giving him another week or so of my labour in about a fortnight to help get it habitable.
Many hands make light work though, so if you or someone you know is a bit handy, and could take a few days out to assist, get in touch with him via his website. There is a link to a page for donations on the website, but if you are in the UK and want to donate, it is no good, so I have put a link to a UK gofund me page for the same cause at the bottom of this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTlFdmrokIM

https://www.taylormccabeinstitute.com/home

https://www.gofundme.com/f/4dk6v-sh...&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer

Ppf might like to help with this one as it involves no refugees entering the UK.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
i worry that some good meaning people will initially do it partly for the money (as well as being decent human beings) but £350 wont go far when they are so traumatised they cant be left alone, have to have their own meals made , etc. Also what happens when they go out and come home late/drunk etc. its not like you can just threaten to chuck them out.
my sister twice had foreign students to stay and said never again as they basically took the p1ss and recked the house. not saying the poor refugees would do this but i would guess if you take anyone in better a 40+ year old than a young adult.

I don't think the age matters, it's more the level of trauma. I don't think many people would do it for the money as I can't see where they'd be any money to be made.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
We’ve had friends come to stay for a few days and been relieved when they’ve left. Not because there’s anything wrong with the friendship, but people are just different in many respects and just aren’t compatible living under the same roof. How would this be overcome should a refugee enter this category? You can’t just ask them to leave.

I think that once an individual is allocated to people. Once I or anyone else hear the story of what they have gone through. I think that will overcome the what would be either minor difficulties or discomforts.

I think the feel good factor of having made a difference would make the extra cost or loss of privacy all worthwhile.

I could be wrong with that assessment but I suppose it will be a case by case basis of judgement as to whether it is going to be worthwhile for each individual or family who takes this on.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think that once an individual is allocated to people. Once I or anyone else hear the story of what they have gone through. I think that will overcome the what would be either minor difficulties or discomforts.

I think the feel good factor of having made a difference would make the extra cost or loss of privacy all worthwhile.

I could be wrong with that assessment but I suppose it will be a case by case basis of judgement as to whether it is going to be worthwhile for each individual or family who takes this on.

Had my sons girlfriend stay with us over lockdown, she is a nurse and didn't want to risk taking Covid back to her parents house, as her Dad was in a vulnerable group. It was a little awkward at first, but we got used to her and her to us, it was a bit harder then really as everything was shut and apart from working, we were all in the house, all the time.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
As I said on the other "Housing Ukrainian Refugees" thread. if anyone does do it and they need help with translation or just someone to chat to their sponsee, just drop me a message and Ill give you my wifes number. She speaks Russian and Ukrainian as well as English Obvs.
We have a few family members that have escaped. 2 with friends in Kishinev, 2 in Bucharest and a niece and her Son that we helped settle in the Irish Republic this last weekend. That was arranged before details of the Uk government plan was altered to include being able to sponsor a refugee. Had to get her out quick because of extenuating circumstances.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Yeh.

The two posters in question have never said a single thing I agree with, and I guess most of the time they are just looking for a reaction, but you can't ignore the truth that they do represent a swathe of opinion which doesn't really exist on NSC but does in the country

Anything said which is racist should of course be punished with permanent bans

I disagree that the UK have swung right wing in the last 5/6 years, the government pander to a small minority of biggots and the the media perpetuate the idea this is the majority view. Brits are kind, generous and welcoming people, politicians like Johnski and Patel are completely out of touch and will get smashed at the next election if they still think the UK electorate are like the daily mail comments section

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
'The virtuous middle class'. Why have a go when some people, whatever their class, are doing something that materially helps the poor Ukrainians? People will always talk about what they are considering and doing, that's normal behaviour.

Why bring class into this at all? Maybe because your comment reveals you have none?

Put him on ignore. He only comes on NSC to perpetrate his far-right views and wind people up.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I disagree that the UK have swung right wing in the last 5/6 years, the government pander to a small minority of biggots and the the media perpetuate the idea this is the majority view. Brits are kind, generous and welcoming people, politicians like Johnski and Patel are completely out of touch and will get smashed at the next election if they still think the UK electorate are like the daily mail comments section

I very much hope that this is the case.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I have referred both Baker Lite and Das Reich to the mods. They’ll do nothing. As per.

Which is why I have decided to leave NSC for good. I won’t be a member of anywhere that welcomes racist idiots like those two.

It’s been fun. And now it’s not.
Das Reich is still allowed to post his despicable and divisive labelling of NSC posters as "5th Column" across this board with impunity.

I see more and more why you have left NSC, seriously thinking of doing similar myself very shortly after the Ukraine War finishes.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Das Reich is still allowed to post his despicable and divisive labelling of NSC posters as "5th Column" across this board with impunity.

I see more and more why you have left NSC, seriously thinking of doing similar myself very shortly after the Ukraine War finishes.

Please do not do this, these people are in a tiny minority and do not represent us.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Thank you. Genuinely very kind. However, to clarify, after this post I won't be using NSC for as long as it continues to provide a platform for Ppf to post his racist and homophobic bile. I would love to return but not while his hate speech is allowed unchecked on here.

Anyway, that's enough of my derailing. Adieu.

That is such a shame, I enjoy your posts, one of the good guys.
Anyway take care, and maybe do what I did come off it for a while and then re set.
I try and avoid political threads and posts if (Big if) I can.

We all know why Pretty Pink Fairy is here, I am actually surprised he is allowed to continue.
But I understand why he is though as well, as he is very careful and intelligent in his approach, he will take this as a compliment but he is more dangerous than a right wing thug shouting abuse at people.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Please do not do this, these people are in a tiny minority and do not represent us.
Well the Ukraine War will last a few more months so I might reconsider in that time.

But I am totally fed up with Das Reich's divisive and despicable attitude and posts on here.

The ignore function is pretty much useless on Tapatalk with 2 major problems.

I have no idea why Das Reich is allowed to post his division with impunity. "5th Column" implies treachery to our country. A disgusting slur. He has almost normalised its use on here.

I can only guess that the mods think he has mental heath issues and don't want to exacerbate his condition but that is all I can come up with :shrug:

As Clamp said, it used to be fun on here.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well the Ukraine War will last a few more months so I might reconsider in that time.

But I am totally fed up with Das Reich's divisive and despicable attitude and posts on here.

The ignore function is pretty much useless on Tapatalk with 2 major problems.

I have no idea why Das Reich is allowed to post his division with impunity. "5th Column" implies treachery to our country. A disgusting slur. He has almost normalised its use on here.

I can only guess that the mods think he has mental heath issues and don't want to exacerbate his condition but that is all I can come up with :shrug:

As Clamp said, it used to be fun on here.

To be fair it probably started to go wrong in 2016 and has progressively got worse since, and as much as I don’t mind The Clamp, don’t forget he was banned many times under his previous Username for many things including ‘racist’ posts [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
To be fair it probably started to go wrong in 2016 and has progressively got worse since, and as much as I don’t mind The Clamp, don’t forget he was banned many times under his previous Username for many things including ‘racist’ posts [emoji6]

The point wasn't about Clamp who can't now defend themselves anyway.

To be clear it was about the disgusting and divisive posts of the fairy which suck the fun out of NSC.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I’m going to take an embarrassing but temporary U-Turn and address that. Details are important when it comes to accusations of racism.
I was given a temporary ban as Nibble for “racist language”.

This came about because I typed that I like living in a diverse city like Brighton. There was some back and forth between some of us with one poster insisting Brighton is not diverse, hordes of Poles, Nigerians etc have bott “taken over” like they have in other places. They then said why don’t you come and live in Birmingham where your so called diversity has torn communities apart and rendered Birmingham unrecognisable, why don’t you try living here ?

I, as joke said “no thanks, far too many blacks”

You can argue whether it’s funny or not. Probably not. But it’s not racist, it’s a joke mocking racist people.

It yes, racist language was used, I got a ban and I didn’t moan about it. Unfortunately it’s given some an excuse to play that card everytime I call out racism on here. If I did anything wrong it was giving them that ammo.

So let’s have it right, please. If you’re going to play that card, put it into context.

I think that’s all. Bad day to decide to have a browse on here.

There’s no need to reply.

Bye. Again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here