Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is Anyone Here, Looking to House a Ukranian Refugee?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am eligible, as a single occupant for a 25% reduction in Council Tax. Does anyone know if this would be affected?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe they have given assurances that this would not be affected.

However, personally I'd suggest that if that (£30 a month?) sum is a deal-breaker for anybody, then you're possibly not doing this for all the right reasons and should think really hard about whether this is for you.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
My wife and I have had serious conversations about this. It sounds wet but we go to lengths to demonstrate the importance of empathy, humility and kindness to our kids - they grow up in a much more comfortable environment than we both did, and whilst I’m proud of that, I worry they will grow up disconnected from the harsh realities of the world we live in. It’s often as simple as buying a homeless person a sandwich or a drink, anything that helps them understand not everyone is as fortunate as they, and that small acts of kindness are better than none at all.

We have a four bedroom house and a spare room. Trouble is, that room currently doubles as my office which I use where I work from much of the time these days. My wife is keen to do it, as her family took in a young Belarusian girl for a number of years as part of a programme through the summer. Her argument is that beyond what you can do for someone else, you can take a lot from it yourself. My only argument not to, really, is the personal inconvenience to me and my work privacy. I could though, work from my kitchen, though it is not as well set-up.

The thought is weighing on me. What would you do?

I would do a day's work in the kitchen, watch the news and go with your gut instinct. You don't have to justify not doing it to anyone.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I believe they have given assurances that this would not be affected.

However, personally I'd suggest that if that (£30 a month?) sum is a deal-breaker for anybody, then you're possibly not doing this for all the right reasons and should think really hard about whether this is for you.

Perhaps it’s not for us to judge motives of an individual that you don’t know their financial circumstances

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My wife and I have had serious conversations about this. It sounds wet but we go to lengths to demonstrate the importance of empathy, humility and kindness to our kids - they grow up in a much more comfortable environment than we both did, and whilst I’m proud of that, I worry they will grow up disconnected from the harsh realities of the world we live in. It’s often as simple as buying a homeless person a sandwich or a drink, anything that helps them understand not everyone is as fortunate as they, and that small acts of kindness are better than none at all.

We have a four bedroom house and a spare room. Trouble is, that room currently doubles as my office which I use where I work from much of the time these days. My wife is keen to do it, as her family took in a young Belarusian girl for a number of years as part of a programme through the summer. Her argument is that beyond what you can do for someone else, you can take a lot from it yourself. My only argument not to, really, is the personal inconvenience to me and my work privacy. I could though, work from my kitchen, though it is not as well set-up.

The thought is weighing on me. What would you do?

Maybe the government’s 350 could pay for membership at a co-working space so you don’t have to work in the kitchen?

Phoebes Mum

May 5, 2019
Perhaps it’s not for us to judge motives of an individual that you don’t know their financial circumstances

Thank you. Whilst not being a “deal breaker” being a widow on a limited income I am trying to get all the information before I apply to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kjgood

So I read the UK Government website to see what the expectation was as we have two spare bedrooms at home now the children have grown up and left home and my wife and I are extremely sympathetic towards these poor people.

The £350 per month is just to provide a bed, lighting heating etc, no food unless you want to provided that, but why wouldn't you if someone is a guest in your home, so in our case (Without food) it wouldn't really cost us anything, yes I know the washing machine will be working overtime and extra TV on and probably the internet would take a massive hit etc.etc and running people around I would guess.

What wasn't there though in the information was how people would be matched i.e. I think I would struggle now to have a gaggle of young children living at home, and what happened if lets say there is a mismatch and things like where do these people go and get assistance, money, clothing and phones and...........everything else they need to rebuild their lives and stay in contact with their wider family and friends that sort of thing.

We want to help but the info available needs to get down to that level before we can commit.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Well?

I'm seriously considering it, but I want to be absolutely sure it's going to work and be the right decision.

It'll be interesting to see what NSC are doing.

No judgements here if you say no.

Quite a few at my work have opted.

Yes, we have offered the spare room we have, now that my son has his own place. My wife offered this via a facebook group, a lady replied and through several conversations she has decided she would like to come and stay with us, she was/is in contact with other people but decided that what we could offer suited her best, i.e. not just a room or bedsit, but a family to live with, as she has never lived alone. She left Kiev and has been lucky enough to have not witnessed first hand much of the conflict, however, her Father and Mother remain in Kiev and she obviously is concerned for them and other relatives.
I get the concerns people may have, I have them too, but as the scheme requires you and the refugee to name each other, there is an opportunity to converse and find a bit out about each other, before they arrive on your doorstep. If it seems like the person or family you are in contact with needs more than you can give, you can tell them that, no one wants to make themselves a burden on a stranger. Just be honest about what it is you are willing to offer, and what you expect from them whilst they are your house guest.

I am hopeful she will fit in well with us, but if she doesn't, it won't be the end of the world. We had my brother in law live with us for a couple of years way back, as he was homeless and jobless, poor hygiene, lazy, massive phone bills, stole my car and wrecked it, and I managed to put up with him, got him sobered up and into a job, so I think we will be alright.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So I read the UK Government website to see what the expectation was as we have two spare bedrooms at home now the children have grown up and left home and my wife and I are extremely sympathetic towards these poor people.

The £350 per month is just to provide a bed, lighting heating etc, no food unless you want to provided that, but why wouldn't you if someone is a guest in your home, so in our case (Without food) it wouldn't really cost us anything, yes I know the washing machine will be working overtime and extra TV on and probably the internet would take a massive hit etc.etc and running people around I would guess.

What wasn't there though in the information was how people would be matched i.e. I think I would struggle now to have a gaggle of young children living at home, and what happened if lets say there is a mismatch and things like where do these people go and get assistance, money, clothing and phones and...........everything else they need to rebuild their lives and stay in contact with their wider family and friends that sort of thing.

We want to help but the info available needs to get down to that level before we can commit.

Info is not all out there yet, but putting your details into the Homes for Ukraine website is just indicating that you are interested in helping, it is not a commitment.
Do it, if there are 150,000 people interested in offering accommodation, and then 100,000 don't want to when the details emerge it will at least tell the Government they have got something wrong.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As I think I said on another thread, I'd be happy to do so. Not through hmgov scheme tho, having looked into it. I can't commit to 6 months, and the spare room in my freezing Victorian flat wouldn't pass any kind of official inspection, any more than than my fridge's permafrost icebox would. But if I can help someone out for a week or month or two via my very good Albion friends' church connections, then I certainly will

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
As I think I said on another thread, I'd be happy to do so. Not through hmgov scheme tho, having looked into it. I can't commit to 6 months, and the spare room in my freezing Victorian flat wouldn't pass any kind of official inspection, any more than than my fridge's permafrost icebox would. But if I can help someone out for a week or month or two via my very good Albion friends' church connections, then I certainly will

Haven't these people been through enough? :)

But seriously, I wouldn't worry about the official inspection. I'm sure they are literally just checking the very basics that the guests would be safe, not the quality of the premises.

twr93

Aug 2, 2019
London
Major credit to those willing to help out others in need, unfortunately I wont be able to as we simply dont have the space nor means to. I can understand many would not want to, and for whatever reason that's not a problem.

It does sadden me to see comments from those that go out of their way to speak up against supporting those from Ukraine, or to use this thread as an opportunity to make a joke. As the saying goes 'if you dont have anything nice to say...'

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I see from the quoted post that Baker lite is echoing ppf's disgusting comments about virtue signalling in order to shut down discussion of wonderful actions.

2 peas in the same pod. Always in lockstep.

It seems that the ppf-baker lite combo is allowed to continue to post its ongoing bile at will on NSC.

I was just about to respond to one of them and stopped in time. NEVER any point in engaging with the trolls.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I have referred both Baker Lite and Das Reich to the mods. They’ll do nothing. As per.

Which is why I have decided to leave NSC for good. I won’t be a member of anywhere that welcomes racist idiots like those two.

It’s been fun. And now it’s not.

I hope you don't leave as your views contribute unlike those two dickheads.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Unfortunately coincides with tonights game, but this could be useful for anyone considering making an offer of accommodation.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/ukra...conf&utm_source=eventbrite&utm_term=viewevent

It's experts from this organisation that will have info and advice https://www.sanctuaryfoundation.org.uk/

We've registered and Mrs MP is attending this. It's a big commitment but we've got a spare room and somehow it just feel wrong not to make that commitment even if it makes me slightly nervous. I'd completely understand if people didn't feel they could.

It doesn't feel like virtue signalling but if you insist.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I hope you don't leave as your views contribute unlike those two dickheads.

Thank you. Genuinely very kind. However, to clarify, after this post I won't be using NSC for as long as it continues to provide a platform for Ppf to post his racist and homophobic bile. I would love to return but not while his hate speech is allowed unchecked on here.

Anyway, that's enough of my derailing. Adieu.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

That wasn't the intention at all. I'm not for a second 'judging' anyone. I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone were considering doing this to financially benefit.

I'm just suggesting that if when weighing it all up, £30 per month is a significant factor in somebody's decision-making, then they should think very hard about why they are doing it, and whether they feel able to, before committing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thank you. Genuinely very kind. However, to clarify, after this post I won't be using NSC for as long as it continues to provide a platform for Ppf to post his racist and homophobic bile. I would love to return but not while his hate speech is allowed unchecked on here.

Anyway, that's enough of my derailing. Adieu.

A great pity…..it’s like they’ve won if you do that :nono::down:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We've registered and Mrs MP is attending this. It's a big commitment but we've got a spare room and somehow it just feel wrong not to make that commitment even if it makes me slightly nervous. I'd completely understand if people didn't feel they could.

It doesn't feel like virtue signalling but if you insist.

For some people it will be massively outside their comfort zone, it isn't without any apprehension here either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here