Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is Anyone Here, Looking to House a Ukranian Refugee?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No, you will find that people who are won’t shouting about it on a football forum, however, for the virtuous, middle class it is this year’s MUST do to claim to be finding out about it.

[emoji849]
giphy.gif

The Baker LIte tap in with the Pretty Pink Fairy assist in the thumbs up.

The Drogba and Lampard of NSC.

Well, maybe not Drogba......

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I am eligible, as a single occupant for a 25% reduction in Council Tax. Does anyone know if this would be affected?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Surely they would waive that. It's not like the refugee will be contributing monetarily.
I don't know the details to be honest though.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
Gove said in Parliament that taking in a Ukranian refugee(s) would have no effect on Council Tax ie if you are a single occupant receiving a discount, that will continue. Of course, not all politicians are truthful

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Gove said in Parliament that taking in a Ukranian refugee(s) would have no effect on Council Tax ie if you are a single occupant receiving a discount, that will continue. Of course, not all politicians are truthful

You really should give them more of a chance

[Tweet]1503457480969437184[/Tweet]

... Oh :facepalm:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I have referred both Baker Lite and Das Reich to the mods. They’ll do nothing. As per.

Which is why I have decided to leave NSC for good. I won’t be a member of anywhere that welcomes racist idiots like those two.

It’s been fun. And now it’s not.
Most understandable.

I only see the ppf-baker lite combo's posts if they are quoted ( thanks, Tapatalk ) or are the last post on a thread ( thanks again, Tapatalk ! ) but if it wasn't for the Ukraine war I'd now be kicking them and NSC into touch as well.

Life is too short to have to suffer their constant expressions of bile.

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I have referred both Baker Lite and Das Reich to the mods. They’ll do nothing. As per.

Which is why I have decided to leave NSC for good. I won’t be a member of anywhere that welcomes racist idiots like those two.

It’s been fun. And now it’s not.

Just put them on ignore.

Your posts are usually worth reading :D

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
For anyone doing this, great stuff, you are better people than I am, but I won't be.

These people have come from a war zone. Some will need conselling and have all sorts of mental health issues, some - as per any cross section of society - will be ********s,some will probably wake up in the night screaming for the next 6 months and some will have dead relatives and be in bad stages of grief. Whilst the £350 strategy seems to be well meaning from this government for once, it does seem fraught with all sorts of safeguarding issues.

On other social media sites, it's like people thnk refugees are going to be like a new dog. Unquestioning thanks and love. I fear the reality of Ukraniain's in peoples houses until August will come home to roost.

Safeguarding can't be ignored and I understand some "checks" are being built in, but you can't let perfect get in the way of good enough with a scheme like this. Most fleeing apartments in Mariupol, would take their chances with the short term emergency housing in the UK going wrong. Mechanisms need to be put in place where they can ask to be reallocated under some circumstances

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Has anyone on this thread actually said they are going to offer accommodation yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes - we have.

We are in the fortunate position of being able to do so, and have therefore registered. Not everyone can, will want to, or be able to for a huge variety of reasons. It's very much a personal thing.

I'll be honest and admit that whilst when it was first announced I immediately said yes - let's do this, however I must admit that I don't think it will be a bed of roses and I appreciate this may well be a long term thing.

These people has left pretty much everything behind and have no idea when they will be able to go back home.

It's the least I can do.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Myself and Mrs V are keeping an eye on the situation. Depending on the need and the desperation of the situation we are open to taking someone in. When people have lost everything a place of safety, food and warmth is priceless.

Likewise, if things get too bad then we could shuffle things around to create a spare room.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yes - we have.

We are in the fortunate position of being able to do so, and have therefore registered. Not everyone can, will want to, or be able to for a huge variety of reasons. It's very much a personal thing.

I'll be honest and admit that whilst when it was first announced I immediately said yes - let's do this, however I must admit that I don't think it will be a bed of roses and I appreciate this may well be a long term thing.

These people has left pretty much everything behind and have no idea when they will be able to go back home.

It's the least I can do.

Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
My wife and I have had serious conversations about this. It sounds wet but we go to lengths to demonstrate the importance of empathy, humility and kindness to our kids - they grow up in a much more comfortable environment than we both did, and whilst I’m proud of that, I worry they will grow up disconnected from the harsh realities of the world we live in. It’s often as simple as buying a homeless person a sandwich or a drink, anything that helps them understand not everyone is as fortunate as they, and that small acts of kindness are better than none at all.

We have a four bedroom house and a spare room. Trouble is, that room currently doubles as my office which I use where I work from much of the time these days. My wife is keen to do it, as her family took in a young Belarusian girl for a number of years as part of a programme through the summer. Her argument is that beyond what you can do for someone else, you can take a lot from it yourself. My only argument not to, really, is the personal inconvenience to me and my work privacy. I could though, work from my kitchen, though it is not as well set-up.

The thought is weighing on me. What would you do?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here