Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is Anyone Here, Looking to House a Ukranian Refugee?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I have referred both Baker Lite and Das Reich to the mods. They’ll do nothing. As per.

Which is why I have decided to leave NSC for good. I won’t be a member of anywhere that welcomes racist idiots like those two.

It’s been fun. And now it’s not.

I get and agree with the sentiment but do reconsider. You're one of the good'uns.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If we all step back and take a deep breath , let's consider the current situation where the UK tax payers
are already contributing towards the 5 MILLION pounds a day housing mainly economic migrants in hotels

I would rather see Ukrainian refugees in those hotels I think most people would

Regards
DF

UK tax payers also pay for you.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I have referred both Baker Lite and Das Reich to the mods. They’ll do nothing. As per.

Which is why I have decided to leave NSC for good. I won’t be a member of anywhere that welcomes racist idiots like those two.

I'm sure you'll be back when 'Partygate' kicks off again.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

To quote Edmund Burke:

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle

In other words, stay and fight your corner (although not in the Bear Pit)...

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's a wonderful thing to do if you are in the position to do so. But nobody should ever have to justify why they aren't going to do it. If you're not in the position to or you don't want to, then fine, that's nobody else's business.

There are other things you can do. You might be in the position to donate to one of the charities which are doing such great work. Or you could write to your MP, asking them for maximum sanctions n Russia or asking them to support renewable energy initiatives

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Why? Are people not allowed to have different views? I don't understand why people want to live in echo-chambers. There is nothing they have posted on this thread that is overly offensive.

Don't leave NSC please. Your posts are sometimes good, sometimes insightful, and sometimes mental. You add something.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Well?

I'm seriously considering it, but I want to be absolutely sure it's going to work and be the right decision.

It'll be interesting to see what NSC are doing.

No judgements here if you say no.

Quite a few at my work have opted.

If anyone has any doubts, then I’d urge caution.

It is a longer term committment.

I live alone in a 2 bed house, but owing to COVID I know work 3-4 days a week at home and have had to turn the spare room into an office.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
We’ve had friends come to stay for a few days and been relieved when they’ve left. Not because there’s anything wrong with the friendship, but people are just different in many respects and just aren’t compatible living under the same roof. How would this be overcome should a refugee enter this category? You can’t just ask them to leave.

Phoebes Mum

May 5, 2019
I am eligible, as a single occupant for a 25% reduction in Council Tax. Does anyone know if this would be affected?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Why? Are people not allowed to have different views? I don't understand why people want to live in echo-chambers. There is nothing they have posted on this thread that is overly offensive.

Don't leave NSC please. Your posts are sometimes good, sometimes insightful, and sometimes mental. You add something.

Yeh.

The two posters in question have never said a single thing I agree with, and I guess most of the time they are just looking for a reaction, but you can't ignore the truth that they do represent a swathe of opinion which doesn't really exist on NSC but does in the country

Anything said which is racist should of course be punished with permanent bans

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If anyone has any doubts, then I’d urge caution.

It is a longer term committment.

I live alone in a 2 bed house, but owing to COVID I know work 3-4 days a week at home and have had to turn the spare room into an office.

Possibly.

I expect the majority though will just want to find some work and move into their own place as soon as possible.

On the other side of it, there may be some who are traumatised who might need a bit more time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can I just say, it is refreshing to see you post a coherent argument. It would be great if you could continue to do this.
I echo this. I am happy to disagree with what you may have to say, ppf, but coherent argument deserves respect. Far better than the irritating one-line drivel you are known for.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
As much as I'd like to, I won't be.

We're still coming to terms with the tiny overlord that has taken up residence in our house. As much as it would be an improvement on being bombed, there are likely to be many more homes where they won't be woken up regularly during the night and then for good at around 4 E V E R Y F U C K I N G M O R N I N G.

We're also out in the sticks - a 45 minute walk to get to a bus stop unless you time it right for the 2 or 3 buses per week that go through the village itself.

A tip of the hat to anyone that does - it's the right thing to do for people whose circumstances allow it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yeh.

The two posters in question have never said a single thing I agree with, and I guess most of the time they are just looking for a reaction, but you can't ignore the truth that they do represent a swathe of opinion which doesn't really exist on NSC but does in the country

Anything said which is racist should of course be punished with permanent bans

Agree completely but apparently the mods don't. Short term bans are given each time for repeated instances of racism, homophobia, holocaust denial, nazi apologism, antisemitism, etc :shrug:

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
As fully signed up members of the virtuous middle-class we regard it as our duty to seriously consider this and have registered on the .gov website.

No idea how it is going to pan out.

VERY concerned about the possibility of being responsible for looking after someone severely traumatised who doesn't speak English. I guess that is the most challenging case scenario but it will be common.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I'll be very disappointed if you leave. You're a force for good, cogently and sensibly holding the despicable posters that you mention to task.

I would also like to see them gone. I never respond to either of them, or to 3 or 4 others, as I don't trust myself not to get abusive. I am always grateful that you, and others do, and impressed at your ability to do so calmly and without temper.

Please stay, [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION].

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
For anyone doing this, great stuff, you are better people than I am, but I won't be.

These people have come from a war zone. Some will need conselling and have all sorts of mental health issues, some - as per any cross section of society - will be ********s,some will probably wake up in the night screaming for the next 6 months and some will have dead relatives and be in bad stages of grief. Whilst the £350 strategy seems to be well meaning from this government for once, it does seem fraught with all sorts of safeguarding issues.

On other social media sites, it's like people thnk refugees are going to be like a new dog. Unquestioning thanks and love. I fear the reality of Ukraniain's in peoples houses until August will come home to roost.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here