Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is anyone else embarrassed by the booing of the German national anthem

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
After my support of booing national anthems, I’m now in slight quandary….

I definitely wouldn’t boo the Danish national anthem as I feel we need to be magnanimous to the Danish team and Danish people because of what happened to Christian Eriksen.

Depends on what everyone around me does!

i doubt the Danes will get the same treatment as the Germans but Eriksen's predicament really shouldn't be an issue , the guy is a multi-millionaire , young , fit , with a lovely wife and family and probably now has a pacemaker like millions of other people, he definitely dodged a rather large bullet and was lucky it happened where it did and not whilst driving , flying a helicopter or shaving his ball bag.

sympathies would be better directed towards the kids of Yemen , Syria, Bangladesh and other such countries who spend every day in a war situation or abject poverty or both.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

I definitely wouldn’t boo the Danish national anthem as I feel we need to be magnanimous to the Danish team and Danish people because of what happened to Christian Eriksen.

I reckon there is a shared understanding between football supporters of all nations about how these things work.

Germany at Wembley in a knockout game for a major tournament? Hell yeah - give their anthem a good old boo-ing. It's what they expect and frankly they'd be slightly offended if we hadn't. It's the fans sign of grudging respect for a worthy adversary and frankly had it been in Munich they'd have given GSTQ right pelters - and so they absolutely should.

Denmark after the Christian Eriksen incident? I may be wrong, but I believe (with the exception of possibly a few people who don't get it and never will) that their anthem will be afforded all due respect.

It's like when France played at Wembley days after the terror attacks in Paris. Under normal circumstances, La Marseillaise would have been booed to the rafters. On that night the whole crowd joined with the French and delivered a spine-tingling rendition.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

How incredibly pathetic.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I reckon there is a shared understanding between football supporters of all nations about how these things work.

Germany at Wembley in a knockout game for a major tournament? Hell yeah - give their anthem a good old boo-ing. It's what they expect and frankly they'd be slightly offended if we hadn't. It's the fan's sign of grudging respect for a worthy adversary and frankly had it been in Munich they'd have given GSTQ right pelters - and so they absolutely should.

Denmark after the Christian Eriksen incident? I may be wrong, but I believe (with the exception of possibly a few people who don't get it and never will) that their anthem will be afforded all due respect.

It's like when France played at Wembley days after the terror attacks in Paris. Under normal circumstances, La Marseillaise would have been booed to the rafters. On that night the whole crowd joined with the French and delivered a spine-tingling rendition.

I've never really had anything against Denmark at all. Its main function in life seems to be to provide bacon, lager and well stacked blondes and have even more miserable weather than the South East of England.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
i doubt the Danes will get the same treatment as the Germans but Eriksen's predicament really shouldn't be an issue , the guy is a multi-millionaire , young , fit , with a lovely wife and family and probably now has a pacemaker like millions of other people, he definitely dodged a rather large bullet and was lucky it happened where it did and not whilst driving , flying a helicopter or shaving his ball bag.

sympathies would be better directed towards the kids of Yemen , Syria, Bangladesh and other such countries who spend every day in a war situation or abject poverty or both.

Ahhh the good old "cant feel any empathy with the bloke who almost died two weeks ago because there is a war in Yemen".

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Ahhh the good old "cant feel any empathy with the bloke who almost died two weeks ago because there is a war in Yemen".

all i can say to that is bollox old boy.....it's a tough life for millions . Mr Eriksen will be made an envoy for the heart foundation , he will be offered a punditry (??), he is an extremely marketable chap and he is loaded and he is alive and he gets to bang his milf......i have empathy where it's needed, this is not the case here.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
all i can say to that is bollox old boy.....it's a tough life for millions . Mr Eriksen will be made an envoy for the heart foundation , he will be offered a punditry (??), he is an extremely marketable chap and he is loaded and he is alive and he gets to bang his milf......i have empathy where it's needed, this is not the case here.

The guy had a near-death experience in front of thousands of people, and as a result his football career has almost certainly been ended prematurely.

Regardless of how much he has in the bank, on a human level I do feel sympathy for him.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The guy had a near-death experience in front of thousands of people, and as a result his football career has almost certainly been ended prematurely.

Regardless of how much he has in the bank, on a human level I do feel sympathy for him.

I agree , it's a shocking thing and i remember when Patrice Muamba had the same thing happen to him , as usual the BBC flogged any empathy/sympathy i may have had out of me , sensationalist , repetitive articles .....i do feel for the guy but let's face it , he's dodged a bullet and is very well placed to move forward and live a very enjoyable life from here on in.....booing the Danes..? why would ya..? they're alright. Boo the Germans......?? All day long.

As an aside ....he's probably got professional insurance which is through the roof. As in 10's of millions....he'll be alright.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I agree , it's a shocking thing and i remember when Patrice Muamba had the same thing happen to him , as usual the BBC flogged any empathy/sympathy i may have had out of me , sensationalist , repetitive articles .....i do feel for the guy but let's face it , he's dodged a bullet and is very well placed to move forward and live a very enjoyable life from here on in.....booing the Danes..? why would ya..? they're alright. Boo the Germans......?? All day long.

As an aside ....he's probably got professional insurance which is through the roof. As in 10's of millions....he'll be alright.

He will be alright, you are correct.

His life has not ended but it has been turned fully upsidedown. I would guess that football has been his whole focus for his whole life. Now that has been snatched away from him.

It doesn't matter how much money he has in the bank he is going to be going through a tough time until he gets his head around his new normal.

He has my sympathy.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012

Germany at Wembley in a knockout game for a major tournament? Hell yeah - give their anthem a good old boo-ing. It's what they expect and frankly they'd be slightly offended if we hadn't. It's the fans sign of grudging respect for a worthy adversary and frankly had it been in Munich they'd have given GSTQ right pelters - and so they absolutely should.

Exactly !! That’s a great example.

In every aspect of life, nuance is everything.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
He will be alright, you are correct.

His life has not ended but it has been turned fully upsidedown. I would guess that football has been his whole focus for his whole life. Now that has been snatched away from him.

It doesn't matter how much money he has in the bank he is going to be going through a tough time until he gets his head around his new normal.

He has my sympathy.

ok.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

FABRICE.

And don't you live in Oz? Are you really saying that the national broadcaster of a nation you don't even live in posted articles when you were asleep that made you lose empathy for someone who was clinically dead for over an hour?

:wozza:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
FABRICE.

And don't you live in Oz? Are you really saying that the national broadcaster of a nation you don't even live in posted articles when you were asleep that made you lose empathy for someone who was clinically dead for over an hour?

:wozza:

Do you think the BBC is only for people who live in Britain...?? They have a web page you know.

The original question was about booing the Danes , i don't think the Danish n/a will get booed as we don't have much history with them , some people are all to quick to become empathetic when it suits....if it suits you that's fine ....carry on, fill yer boots.

Yes FABRICE...!! Thats the one...sorry would have googled if i'd known you were lurking.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Do you think the BBC is only for people who live in Britain...?? They have a web page you know.

Which you are not obliged to read. You original statement on the matter is pathetic and, frankly, bizarre.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Which you are not obliged to read. You original statement on the matter is pathetic and, frankly, bizarre.

Are you now the opinion police on all subjects ? No longer happy to stamp out racism and all other manner of phobia but concentrating on making sure all on the the board is in line with your own point of view ....excellent news....:thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Are you now the opinion police on all subjects ? No longer happy to stamp out racism and all other manner of phobia but concentrating on making sure all on the the board is in line with your own point of view ....excellent news....:thumbsup:

No one's mentioned politics. This thread has not been moved. Your post has not been edited. You've not been banned.

I'm just pointing out that your reasoning for not feeling sympathy towards someone who nearly died on a football pitch has somehow found its way to the BBC. It's like blaming the home page of the Sydney Swans for global warming. And you read so much emotional tosh on there (that you didn't have to) that you still can't get the bloke's name right.

People can draw their own conclusions from that.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
No one's mentioned politics. This thread has not been moved. Your post has not been edited. You've not been banned.

I'm just pointing out that your reasoning for not feeling sympathy towards someone who nearly died on a football pitch has somehow found its way to the BBC. It's like blaming the home page of the Sydney Swans for global warming. And you read so much emotional tosh on there (that you didn't have to) that you still can't get the bloke's name right.

People can draw their own conclusions from that.

What a load of piffle.....perhaps you haven't had enough trauma of your own to get a grip on life , i go on the BBC to follow the football results , i knew Christoper Ecclesworth had suffered a myocardial infarction , it was discussed on other threads on this board , yes it's confronting , yes it makes you ask questions regarding yourself and your loved ones, yes it's a personal tragedy for him that he won't play professional football again but for god's sake put some perspective on it. ....i didn't need to be told every day for the next 5 days......i am happy the guy is still alive an hopefully he will spend many more years with his lovely wife and kids and will doubtless become a pundit in Denmark or England even for that matter. If you're aghast because i don't feel sorry for him ? , well that's just weird and we are going to have to bury it , the guy has a lifestyle and fortune that the likes of you and i can only dream of , he has dodged a bullet , i wish him all the best from here on in....that's it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
[tweet]1413416062914269185[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here