Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is a Photo ID requirement for Voting a Good Idea?

Is requiring a Photo ID in order to Vote a good idea?

• Yes, it will cut down Election Fraud and improve how Elections are run

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • No, There is no evidence that Election Fraud is an Issue and this is an unnecessary expense

Votes: 102 63.0%
  • No, making Government issued Photo IDs mandatory for voting is an erosion of my Civil Liberties

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • Yes, there is no evidence from other

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • that voter ID deters certain people from voting

Votes: 29 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Wouldn't a National ID Card help with all sorts of issues? Why are people so opposed to them, I just look at it like a mini-passport.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Wouldn't a National ID Card help with all sorts of issues? Why are people so opposed to them, I just look at it like a mini-passport.
Sigh.

People aren’t opposed to them for ease of identification. They are opposed to the Tory’s introducing them to disenfranchise people that are unlikely to vote Tory. And that they are lying about electoral fraud. Which is not an issue.

Is it that hard a concept to grasp?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Inference? How about we actually deal with what I've said explicitly and repeatedly, namely that I don't believe there is widescale electoral fraud and, like others on this thread, have high confidence in our current electoral system.

Inference is the impression taken from a statement by its recipient.

Yes you said you don't believe that electoral actual fraud is widespread but you used speeding as an example of measuring difference between possible or actual occurrence of what happens . EVERYONE knows that going over the speed limit is rampant in this country where many people assume the speed limit is the minimum they should drive not the maximum. Maybe not a good example.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
My opposition is not to ID , my opposition is based on how and why it's currently being looked at when all actual measures of election fraud are miniscule for example, 600 in 30 million votes cast in 2019. Its pretty clear this is a move by the government to disenfranchise people rather than to sort out fraud.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
When I voted I was struck by how simple it was and that no I D was required. I was in favour of photo I D before I read this thread. I no longer keep up a passport but I have a driving licence . Even If stopped driving I would keep it for ID . But many people don’t. We must not impede voting, that smacks of Trumpian America.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Those other forms of ID are not accepted as ID (other than for the purpose of borrowing library books, using a cash point, buying a train ticket, etc.). Even a paper driving licence is not accepted as ID. Nor is a bus pass.
Still better than just wandering in off the street, glancing at a list, saying a name and voting for someone else, who may even be dead . . . .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
E435DCBA-009A-48EC-9B44-6B6967C1C72A.jpeg

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Does it feel like the blues are moving the goalposts? If you're the reds then yes. If the minorities or the persons representing the minorities feel this would unbalance the way people are allowed to vote, then they should help the minorities get photo i.d.
It doesn't have to be a passport or a driving licence, it can be a citizen card....which I feel everyone should have.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Sigh.

People aren’t opposed to them for ease of identification. They are opposed to the Tory’s introducing them to disenfranchise people that are unlikely to vote Tory. And that they are lying about electoral fraud. Which is not an issue.

You don't know it's not an issue as there's absolutely nothing to say or prove either way

the fact the tories keep shafting everyone AND winning very much suggests otherwise.

TBH I don't think it's a big issue, but it is one . . . Something needs to be done and its called compulsory voting, with a 'none of these twats' box

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You don't know it's not an issue as there's absolutely nothing to say or prove either way

the fact the tories keep shafting everyone AND winning very much suggests otherwise.

TBH I don't think it's a big issue, but it is one . . . Something needs to be done and its called compulsory voting, with a 'none of these twats' box
We do know it’s not a big issue. I posted the figures earlier.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Sigh.

It's also from the same set of people who would call themselves 'libertarians' and whinged constamtly about mandatory facemasks and lockdowns as an infringement of their civil liberties and also call government intererence the 'Nanny state'?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's also from the same set of people who would call themselves 'libertarians' and whinged constamtly about mandatory facemasks and lockdowns as an infringement of their civil liberties and also call government intererence the 'Nanny state'?
Too many people kid themselves about this government. Probably because the alternative, facing up to the truth, is just too scary.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We do know it’s not a big issue. I posted the figures earlier.
Once again - that doesn't prove anything.

It was completely bizarre how you posted that to me earlier, all triumphantly, as if I don't possess the technical skills to hop onto Google and type in a simple search query.

You can no more prove that there is not widescale election fraud than I can prove there is.

I drove my son to school today. I saw him walk through the gates. A few times when I opened the "Find My" app on my iPhone it showed the location of his phone as being in the school grounds and he was there when I picked him up at the end of the day.

So, do I know he was at school today? No, I don't. I have a very high level of confidence he was, but I don't actually know that with 100% certainty. That's where we are with electoral fraud. I completely agree that it is very unlikely that it happens on any kind of scale, but I can't prove that, and nor can you.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Once again - that doesn't prove anything.

It was completely bizarre how you posted that to me earlier, all triumphantly, as if I don't possess the technical skills to hop onto Google and type in a simple search query.

You can no more prove that there is not widescale election fraud than I can prove there is.

I drove my son to school today. I saw him walk through the gates. A few times when I opened the "Find My" app on my iPhone it showed the location of his phone as being in the school grounds and he was there when I picked him up at the end of the day.

So, do I know he was at school today? No, I don't. I have a very high level of confidence he was, but I don't actually know that with 100% certainty. That's where we are with electoral fraud. I completely agree that it is very unlikely that it happens on any kind of scale, but I can't prove that, and nor can you.
I have explained it to you before, using your strange speeding analogy. Unfortunately, I cannot understand it for you.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Have you ever tried getting somebody with dementia into a phone booth, align them within the camera limit, and them getting them to look at the screen and sit still long enough to get an acceptable photo.

I tried, but I couldn't do it.

So I can't renew her passport which is now out of date and her driving licence was revoked ages ago. None of those would be acceptable so what is another alternative option?
Without trying to sound like an insensitive ****, if someone is suffering that badly from dementia, should they be able to vote?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Please explain our difference of opinion, remembering:

1. I don't believe there is large-scale election fraud in the UK.
2. I'm not advocating for mandatory ID for voting in the UK.
I am done explaining.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here