Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is a 2nd referendum a genuine possibility?

abc

Jan 6, 2007
This is the most pathetic thing I have ever heard.

All the previously sanctimonious and smug remainers are now grizzling as they didn't get their own way.

And what if we do ? And it's to remain.

And the Brexiters want a 3rd referendum ? What then?

Next goal wins it ?

Get a grip!!!

Why pathetic?

Leader of the remain campaign said he thought it was a possibility. So I'm now asking whether it still is?

Why resort to insults rather than debate?

abc

Jan 6, 2007
What if you lost the next one ? Would you GRIZZLE for a third ? Can't you accept you LOST ? It's not like school sports day when all the losers get a medal too

Ok I get the theme. If you can't join a debate constructively then make childish comments.

My question had nothing to do with how I voted or how I feel about the result. I repeat, the LEADER of the leave campaign stated that he thought a second referendum after negotiations could be a good way forward.

Therefore I am asking whether, now that same leader has won, whether this is still a possibility?!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Ok I get the theme. If you can't join a debate constructively then make childish comments.

My question had nothing to do with how I voted or how I feel about the result. I repeat, the LEADER of the leave campaign stated that he thought a second referendum after negotiations could be a good way forward.

Therefore I am asking whether, now that same leader has won, whether this is still a possibility?!

The negotiations would have to be pretty good to put it to another referendum. Not sure the Eu has the balls to backdown to be honest

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a second referendum is always a possiblity, and its been daft for anyone to say otherwise. what happens next: parliament must pass an act of parliament (yep, not in the power of PM alone) to invoke Article 50, when we begin formal negotiations (some outline can be discussed before). this will then take upto 2 years to engotiate and exit thats mutually beneficial to both parties, or longer if agreed. that agreement may not be what the Leaver voters expected, it must also have support of EU Council of Ministers under QMV and pass EU Parliament

quite alot of scope along that journey to present a offer to the British people in a new vote, i think its more likely than not, though it will be a different question - do you accept this offer with the EU.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I repeat, the LEADER of the leave campaign stated that he thought a second referendum after negotiations could be a good way forward.
That's what Boris Johnson said?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Screenshot from 2016-06-25 18:38:46.png

It's gone past two million. I wonder what will happen when it gets to seventeen million.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
This is what is wrong with modern ways of life-sorry but in life there are winners and losers and both will experience the opposite-deal with it remain I would had your vote stood..

Not everybody wins......you will be asking for play off changes next :whistle:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The only justification for a second referendum, Would be if a general election gets called and one of the paties stands on a reverse brexit ticket and wins.

To be honest I can see a general election being called. There aren't enough Pro-Brexit MPs in parliament to really push through the leave agenda.
Whether the Labour Party would stand on a reverse Brexit ticket is debatable. Whether they would win is even more so.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
This is why having the referendum in the first place was so bloody stupid.

Allowing people a free vote on something I guess less than 1% were qualified to give an informed decision on was dangerous beyond belief.

Now we got the result the vast majority of MPs didn't want, they are busy trying to find ways of reversing it.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
The only justification for a second referendum, Would be if a general election gets called and one of the paties stands on a reverse brexit ticket and wins.

To be honest I can see a general election being called. There aren't enough Pro-Brexit MPs in parliament to really push through the leave agenda.
Whether the Labour Party would stand on a reverse Brexit ticket is debatable. Whether they would win is even more so.

So how about this scenario:

BJ wins the Tory leadership. He delays invoking article 50 with the justification that he wants to get the 'best deal' for Britain before leaving. He will have the support for this from the majority of parliament (as a majority are pro EU) and the majority of the country (ie all the remainers and many of the leavers who are starting to waver because they are getting nervous about what will happen - seeing 'the deal' first makes sense to many).

Time passes and we are still in the EU. The pressure from throughout the EU for reform produces a new 'EU deal' with restrictions on movement and greater democracy.

BJ calls an election saying he will give the country a chance to decide again whether to leave based on the 'massive change in circumstances'. Labour will most likely do the same.

A gov is then elected with a mandate for a second referendum.

MASSIVE assumptions I know and I'm not saying it would be right or wrong but it is possible, no?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Boris suggested this at the beginning of the campaign and presumably he will end up as PM. Didn't the Irish do exactly this a few years ago?

If BJ delays invoking article 50 then there is time to see if 1. The EU does actually embrace reform as is now being muted and 2. What our 'new deal' is going to look like before we actually leave. Another referendum would then be based on facts and the result might be less close (either way) and therefore unite the country.

Is this a likely scenario?
yes in Scotland

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
There will be some big wig lawyers rubbing their hands at the possibility. If the sore losers got a second chance, any future result would be challenged anyhow. Kerrrrchhhing.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

BJ wins the Tory leadership. He delays invoking article 50 with the justification that he wants to get the 'best deal' for Britain before leaving. He will have the support for this from the majority of parliament (as a majority are pro EU) and the majority of the country (ie all the remainers and many of the leavers who are starting to waver because they are getting nervous about what will happen - seeing 'the deal' first makes sense to many).

Time passes and we are still in the EU. The pressure from throughout the EU for reform produces a new 'EU deal' with restrictions on movement and greater democracy.

BJ calls an election saying he will give the country a chance to decide again whether to leave based on the 'massive change in circumstances'. Labour will most likely do the same.

MASSIVE assumptions I know and I'm not saying it would be right or wrong but it is possible, no?

A question to you: In 417 posts when did you post anything interesting since 2007 :moo:

And that includes anything about the Albion:)

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Remainers are pushing something which would bring massive civil unrest and possibly very violent riots. Is this what they want?

No, but Nigel and his soul brothers have used immigration emotions to put the country in a position where poverty, cutbacks and unemployment overwhelm all of us but especially the poorest. Almost anything legal goes as far as I'm concerned and if MPs forced an election and stood together as a grand 'stop the negotiations' alliance they would have my vote. If enough people voted for them they would have democratic legitimacy too.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

Bizarrely enough this is very similar to a chain of events someone else suggested. Except that they said as there is no legal framework set out within the referendum machinations, there could be an argument that this has to go through a parliamentary process due to it's implications for our own legal system/constitution etc.

It could then be possible that if they vote it down, the voter dissatisfaction triggers a general election, and we head to a second referendum.

I found a Guardian article along similar lines https://www.theguardian.com/comment...cle-50-lisbon-treaty-referendum-david-cameron.

There is also the possibility that if for some reason Scotland manage to get a deal, and also have an independence referendum prior to article 50 being triggered, then we would be in a situation of having another referendum.

Note: I'm not posting these because I want them to happen, I'm just adding to the thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here