Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Is 15 years in jail for burning a pride flag a bit extreme?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
What about those Islamic people who like to burn and stamp on the USA and UK flags with slogans of the great and little Satan? I bet they don't get 15 years for that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is reading a bit like one of old Alfredmizen's click-bait alt.right threads.

Can we file it under 'load of old bollocks' and save our faux outrage for when Boris bundles of us out of the EU with no deal in a year's time? There, I said it.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Its ridiculous totalitarian shit giving anyone even a minute in jail for burning a flag.

He didn't get 15years for burning a flag! He got 15yrs for being a habitual offender who threatened to burn down a bar full of people while also committing a hate crime.

FFS. Why are people falling for the sh1tty clickbait title? Are you all as stupid as Mr Martinez?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
He didn't get 15years for burning a flag! He got 15yrs for being a habitual offender who threatened to burn down a bar full of people while also committing a hate crime.

FFS. Why are people falling for the sh1tty clickbait title? Are you all as stupid as Mr Martinez?

I honestly think they are. Is no one capable of reading more than a headline any more for a bit of context? Frankly I'm going to answer my own question - no, which is exactly why the country finds itself in the state it's in.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

That's my point (though not as well put across) - what he did was stupid and he should be punished for it, but the punishment here is cumulative.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
He committed a hate crime. I think its a valid sentence for acting like a dick.

WOW are you for real. I dont like his actions, nor his world view, but seriously 15 frigging years behind bars because he burnt a flag and made a few threats!!!!!! Put a bloody gps tag on him and give him a curfew.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
WOW are you for real. I dont like his actions, nor his world view, but seriously 15 frigging years behind bars because he burnt a flag!!!!!!

...i'll let you a) read my post above yours (very conveniently put there) and b) read the entire bloody article.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Its ridiculous totalitarian shit giving anyone even a minute in jail for burning a flag.

There's a bit more to it than "burning a flag".

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
...i'll let you a) read my post above yours (very conveniently put there) and b) read the entire bloody article.

I read what was posted. Sure he went on bit of a pissed off rampage and made some violent threats and burnt a flag. Again 15 f*kcing years!!! What is that going to achieve other than really piss him off and maybe seek revenge by actually harming someone when he gets out. As I suggested how about a different approach GPS tag, Curfew, certain areas off limits, fix up his frigging meds. The OP does not say what his "habitual" offences were and to be honest if all they were was making threats with no action then that backs up my case for alternative action. Given the cost of gaoling someone you could have 24 hour one on on gps monitoring and still save money, which could be used to sort out the mess inside the guys head.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I read what was posted. Sure he went on bit of a pissed off rampage and made some violent threats and burnt a flag. Again 15 f*kcing years!!! What is that going to achieve other than really piss him off and maybe seek revenge by actually harming someone when he gets out. As I suggested how about a different approach GPS tag, Curfew, certain areas off limits, fix up his frigging meds. The OP does not say what his "habitual" offences were and to be honest if all they were was making threats with no action then that backs up my case for alternative action. Given the cost of gaoling someone you could have 24 hour one on on gps monitoring and still save money, which could be used to sort out the mess inside the guys head.

As an ex-law student i'm all for rehabilitation over punishment but there comes a time when the line is crossed too many times. This is America after all, their judiciary system sometimes requires a double take and a 'alright its time for some sleep' approach. I would fully expect if this were in this country a different approach would be taken.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As an ex-law student i'm all for rehabilitation over punishment but there comes a time when the line is crossed too many times. This is America after all, their judiciary system sometimes requires a double take and a 'alright its time for some sleep' approach. I would fully expect if this were in this country a different approach would be taken.

Nah you are not all for rehabilitation, pretty evident from your first comment and even here.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Nah you are not all for rehabilitation, pretty evident from your first comment and even here.

Please don't pretend to know what i am or am not about.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I'd have thought putting a restraining in place would be the first action taken in such incidences.

The fact that he is a habitual offender indicates that this is a last resort after other approaches have failed. That is issue here , that few have picked up on. He wasn't given 15 years for burning a flag. Without knowledge of what else he had done, what previous measures had been taken the story is incomplete and therefore we can not say with any certainty whether the sentence is appropriate or not.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Just to put some more meat on the bones of this story, it appears he has been found guilty on two previous occasions of a felony charge. It doesn't say what those felony charges were, but apparently they are normally used to describe the most serious of offences .

Due to his previous two charges of felony, it is automatic that a third charge would result in a tripling of his sentencing. It is inconceivable that he would not have been aware of this ruling.

He apparently showed no remorse regarding his hate crime.

He will be eligible to apply for parole after three years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here