Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Irritating phone calls on my mobile

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Its been over a year since my car had its bumper dented in a car park and despite the fact that I was 25 metres away from the car at the time I am STILL getting these :tosser: ring me on my mobile trying to defraud my insurance company by pretending I was injured. Apparently I don't even need a note from my doctor as long as I say I took some pain killers for a few days after I can get up to £5K.

Yeah but they phone anyone randomly. Its nothing to do with your bump in the car park.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Yeah but they phone anyone randomly. Its nothing to do with your bump in the car park.

Not necessarily the case.

I'm presuming Gaz put a claim in for damage to his bumper.
If he went via an Accident Management Company or Law Firm, his details were likely sold to dozens of other cold-callers as a 'warm lead'.

If he claimed directly via his (or the Third Party's) insurance company, his data was likely not sold on.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I am registered with the Telephone Preference Service on both landline and mobile. I am fairly relaxed with landline selling calls that I still get as I tend not to answer if caller display comes up with an unknown number or "Out of Area". However I am noticing an increasing number of unsolicited calls on my mobile, four over the last few days from places, identified by my phone, as diverse as Caernarfon, Ardrossan, and Watchet in Somerset! They are really irritating as they seem to arrive which I am either driving or in a shop.

Innovative and perhaps some sensible suggestions welcomed regarding this.

I as you, am registered with the GPS.
But still get the annoying calls, example was one from Cardiff, which I ignored.
Best advice is just ignore the irritating *******s.
I was recently waiting for my hospital appointment to be confirmed.
Unbeknown to me they were calling, but their calls were coming up as withheld and were not leaving any message, so I ignored the calls.
In the end they did leave a message which was quite helpful.
Why do hospitals use withheld numbers, does not make sense.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

If he went via an Accident Management Company or Law Firm, his details were likely sold to dozens of other cold-callers as a 'warm lead'..

Yep, it was through mazda assist who sorted out the whole claim process as I didn't need to go through my insurers

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

If he went via an Accident Management Company or Law Firm, his details were likely sold to dozens of other cold-callers as a 'warm lead'.

If he claimed directly via his (or the Third Party's) insurance company, his data was likely not sold on.

Sorry - I don't buy that. No need to bother buying warm leads. If you just phone someone randomly there's a fair probability they've had some sort of accident in the last three years. If not, they just hang up and move on.
I'm not a warm-lead but I bet I get just as many of these calls as him.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Sorry - I don't buy that. No need to bother buying warm leads. If you just phone someone randomly there's a fair probability they've had some sort of accident in the last three years. If not, they just hang up and move on.
I'm not a warm-lead but I bet I get just as many of these calls as him.

Well I can guarantee that dozens of cold-calling firms around the country buy huge amounts of data every day, and price paid depends on warm/cold/non lead.
I personally work against these companies and know exactly how they do business.

I'm a non-lead as I've never had an accident. However, I've got car finance and have got insurance quotes from aggregators. Either (or both) of which have sold on my data to AMC's.

With regards to Gaz, as he's said above, the AMC have details of the accident, therefore his details were almost certainly sold by the hire company or claims management company.

That's how the business works.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Well I can guarantee that dozens of cold-calling firms around the country buy huge amounts of data every day, and price paid depends on warm/cold/non lead.
I personally work against these companies and know exactly how they do business.

I'm a non-lead as I've never had an accident. However, I've got car finance and have got insurance quotes from aggregators. Either (or both) of which have sold on my data to AMC's.

With regards to Gaz, as he's said above, the AMC have details of the accident, therefore his details were almost certainly sold by the hire company or claims management company.

That's how the business works.
I don't question your experience of the business, but these calls are just like the PPI callers. Are you suggesting that all these low-lifes who call me about ppi compensation claims are working from some sort of warm-list that they've purchased from mortgage companies or something? Or are they just calling randomly (obviously, yes).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
& Trig, I was playing the "Without cheating" game and it's the only one I could remember apart from :shootself !
:kiss: <- I had to look up this one.
Ok, cool :kiss:

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
I've had a couple of calls to my mobile recently from accident/claim managements companies, which display a phone number rather than number with held. They even know my name for some reason.

Their script was the same both times, = I have been passed your file and you have not received sufficient compensation for your recent accident.

Rather than just ending the call I have been having some fun, by asking questions such as

Q. when was this?

A. In the last three years

Q. No when was it?

A. I don't have/need that information

Q But you have been passed a file, this must contain such detail?

A, I've been passed the file by your main insurer

Q. OK, but when was the accident, what vehicle was I driving, and who are my main insurers

A1. Phone call ended by caller
A2 I will need to ask another department and will call you back in 30 minutes

i,m still waiting for the call back.

My aim is to see how long I can keep them on the phone for.

They seem to be changing numbers all the time, as I have about 6/7 ignore numbers currently but seem to be new ones all the time.

here's mine...

me - when was this?

me - OK, when was it and who was driving please

A. I cant tell you that due to the data protection act

me - Oh, Ok, what would you like to know

A, Can you tell us please give us the details of the incident you were involved in.

me -I'm afraid I cant,

A, why not sir

me - well.... due to the data protection act I'm not able to give out that information.

the call ends shortly afterwards.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are you suggesting that all these low-lifes who call me about ppi compensation claims are working from some sort of warm-list that they've purchased from mortgage companies or something? Or are they just calling randomly (obviously, yes).
He's suggesting they're doing both. Presumably when they get a warm lead, they'll put that at the front of the queue, and ideally refer to the exact accident so it seems more like a genuine call.

D

Deleted member 22389

Moved house two years ago. Me and the wife got a new ex-directory number, we also made a deal not to put the number anywhere online, so far we have had zero sales calls. We know that if anyone does call us, we can trace that back to our providers SKY, then we can ask how SKY how they managed to get our number.

The only reason you get phone calls on your main phone is because the *******s sell your telephone numbers online, website databases get compromised and that information is sold on.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I don't question your experience of the business, but these calls are just like the PPI callers. Are you suggesting that all these low-lifes who call me about ppi compensation claims are working from some sort of warm-list that they've purchased from mortgage companies or something? Or are they just calling randomly (obviously, yes).

Almost certainly not.

These companies are not paying their army of cold-callers £6-10 p/h to pluck numbers out of the air and hope they hear a dial tone.
Far too much time would be wasted.
Even with the auto-dialers, the numbers are still taken from leads.

Every survey and every application you ever make, will be attempted to be sold on to AMC's (and sometimes even Law Firms).
That why every website you enter data on has that very sneaky "un-tick this box if you do not agree to marketing" etc.
Many now try to confuse us by saying "un-tick this box to agree to marketing" with the checkbox already being pre-ticked. Your brain tells us to automatically untick the box without reading the fine-print.
Plus there's a few other little tricks they often do in order to legally keep your information.

I can say with 99% certainty that you have in some way/shape/form left a trail to your phone number.
The only alternative is if you're using a recycled phone number and the previous owner of that number has leaked that information.
Or, if someones purposefully input your data online allowing whichever company to sell it on - though obviously unlikely.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Almost certainly not.

These companies are not paying their army of cold-callers £6-10 p/h to pluck numbers out of the air and hope they hear a dial tone.
Far too much time would be wasted.
Even with the auto-dialers, the numbers are still taken from leads.

Every survey and every application you ever make, will be attempted to be sold on to AMC's (and sometimes even Law Firms).
That why every website you enter data on has that very sneaky "un-tick this box if you do not agree to marketing" etc.
Many now try to confuse us by saying "un-tick this box to agree to marketing" with the checkbox already being pre-ticked. Your brain tells us to automatically untick the box without reading the fine-print.
Plus there's a few other little tricks they often do in order to legally keep your information.

I can say with 99% certainty that you have in some way/shape/form left a trail to your phone number.
The only alternative is if you're using a recycled phone number and the previous owner of that number has leaked that information.
Or, if someones purposefully input your data online allowing whichever company to sell it on - though obviously unlikely.

But but but - I've never had ppi, I've never had an accident. There's no 'warm-lead' info on me to sell on. I still get the calls.

Edit: And whats more, my colleague at the next desk doesn't drive or own a car and never has. He gets just as many as I do - indicating that they are not even targeting motorists

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
here's mine...

me - when was this?

me - OK, when was it and who was driving please

A. I cant tell you that due to the data protection act

me - Oh, Ok, what would you like to know

A, Can you tell us please give us the details of the incident you were involved in.

me -I'm afraid I cant,

A, why not sir

me - well.... due to the data protection act I'm not able to give out that information.

the call ends shortly afterwards.

Clearly a failure to understand the DPA on their part given that it is your personal details or would be if they werent just trying it on.

The best one Ive had on DPA is

Can I speak to Mrs ><

me Who is calling please

Her bank

me Which one

I cant tell you that due to data protection act

me bye

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
But but but - I've never had ppi, I've never had an accident. There's no 'warm-lead' info on me to sell on. I still get the calls.

But as I said in the quoted post, I'm in the same boat as you. I've never had an accident or PPI.

However, I've had insurance, loans and car finance and various energy and utility providers.
On top of that, I've applied for all of the above multiple times using multiple aggregators.

It only takes forgetting to un-tick/tick the 'Marketing Preference' box just one time, for everything to be sold to these companies.
Regardless whether we've had PPI or an accident, they're just hoping we have.
We are cold/non-leads.

Gaz is the perfect example of a warm lead: He's been involved in an motor accident, his (and the accident) details have been sold to AMC's.
Gaz tells AMC #1 that he's not injured and not interested.
AMC #1 sells his info on to AMC#2 and so on.

The AMC's circle like vultures.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
From my understanding and if the call is from a (sub)human then the response should be to say to that person " no thanks and please ensure my number is taken off your call list and if it is not then advise your colleagues to expect verbal abuse if you continue to call". My understanding is that these s(h)ites are able to do this.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I blame the companies that are supposed to close them down. They get paid to close these places down, and they just don't bother, they just play swing-ball in the office.

Until they get an unsolicited sales call and they have to stop playing swing-ball. It's extremely irritating that sometimes they have to get some work done closing down those companies so they can get back to playing swing-ball. It must be so frustrating.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I often get the Microsoft India calls telling me I have a virus. I normally reply by telling them my computer is running much better thanks to the virus and that I certainly wouldn't want to remove it now my pc is running so well ....

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I save all dodgy numbers on my contacts as Ignore.

I Ignore these numbers when they ring around two or three times a day.

The new numbers I don't recognise I google in the evening and put them on Ignore on my phone.

I have over fifty on Ignore since Christmas :moo:

If I could murder these people ang get away with it I may be tempted :wrong:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here