Ironically was Bill Archer actually the best thing that happened to the Albion?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
A discussion we were having in the bar after the game, had he not asset stripped and raped the club would we still be plodding along at the Goldstone with the likes of Sizen, Campbell, Kent and Clark running the club.
By all but destroying us it galvanised the support bought Dick Knight and Martin Perry to the forefront and then in turn Tony Bloom, and now on the cusp of returning to the top flight, he may remain a complete c***, but did his devious actions actually start the whole thing rolling?

OK in a sort of round about way
but I would still love to punch him on the nose though :tosser:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I hated the man and still do. The way he did it was wrong.

However there is certainly a very good argument for saying that if Brighton already had a stadium (at the Goldstone) we would have been forced to redevelop that AT BEST. There is no way we would have anywhere near the level of council and local support for a new stadium on this scale if we were still playing at the Goldstone. That is a fact.

But all the resentment and pain, the years at Gillingham and Withdean, was quitely clearly wrong.

But in the long wrong yes we are undoubtedly better off. But that is thanks to Tony Bloom more than the bad stuff Archer did.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I suppose one way to look at things is that what Archer and the other henchmen did was to focus minds,galvanise support and get action taken..

My Father always said,at the time "nobody will invest in Brighton",i had faith that the 2nd richest county in England could unearth some investment and so it has proved,when the time was right..

I also never doubted the construction and final delivery of Falmer,i just could not tell where the money would come from.

Back then we were not worth throwing money at,this is not to say investment was not out there.

Try looking at it this way-

Try to see the beauty in it all and understand that everything happens for a reason,the reason is love,however bad things seem at the time-a bit like childbirth

There you go,and peace to all.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I suppose one way to look at things is that what Archer and the other henchmen did was to focus minds,galvanise support and get action taken..

My Father always said,at the time "nobody will invest in Brighton",i had faith that the 2nd richest county in England could unearth some investment and so it has proved,when the time was right..

I also never doubted the construction and final delivery of Falmer,i just could not tell where the money would come from.

Back then we were not worth throwing money at,this is not to say investment was not out there.

Try looking at it this way-

Try to see the beauty in it all and understand that everything happens for a reason,the reason is love,however bad things seem at the time-a bit like childbirth

There you go,and peace to all.

good one

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Thanks my Cat friend-off subject my rescue cat Jamie a black short hair 10 when we got him from raestede,passed away aged 22!!!! he was an honor and privilege to have,a true gentleman and superb teacher to our other adopted cat Tinkerbell,she is 7 and a black and white sphinx with green eyes...

just thought i'd share

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My take as an Albion fan, Bill Archer, Greg Stanley and David Bellotti didn't have a redeeming feature between them. All three are scum and nothing good came from their attempt to put us out of business. We would have done just fine without them and not suffered the agony of losing the Goldstone without any recompense and pissing around at the arse end of the 4th division at Gillingham. I'll say it again...scum.

We may not have the Amex but something better than 10 years of the pain that their greed caused would have occurred if they hadn't ever been involved with us. I'm sure Tony Bloom would have got involved regardless of what Archer and Stanley did.

Last edited:

TheFatBallBoy

Jan 10, 2010
Hove
A discussion we were having in the bar after the game, had he not asset stripped and raped the club would we still be plodding along at the Goldstone with the likes of Sizen, Campbell, Kent and Clark running the club.
By all but destroying us it galvanised the support bought Dick Knight and Martin Perry to the forefront and then in turn Tony Bloom, and now on the cusp of returning to the top flight, he may remain a complete c***, but did his devious actions actually start the whole thing rolling?

Might be worth Worthing fc selling their ground to Hoogstraten for £50 and 16 years later they might be pushing for the premier in a 100 million pound stadia:blush:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Thanks my Cat friend-off subject my rescue cat Jamie a black short hair 10 when we got him from raestede,passed away aged 22!!!! he was an honor and privilege to have,a true gentleman and superb teacher to our other adopted cat Tinkerbell,she is 7 and a black and white sphinx with green eyes...

just thought i'd share
thanks for sharing
I just hope that when we go they are there waiting
RIP Jamie

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
When Archer snuffs it there will be many RIP's but all of them will stand for Rot Into Pieces.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
thanks for sharing
I just hope that when we go they are there waiting
RIP Jamie

They will be cat_heaven.jpg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm not sure the OP is suggesting we thank BA and DB et al but I agree that their catastrophic tenure was the catalyst for where we are now. I wouldn't be convinced that had there been a progressive transition we would be where we are now. That period created a siege like mentality. Also, the story of the battle to take over the club and then the fight for Falmer put the club in the footballing spotlight. Without it, we would just be another club in the lower divisions with a new owner and probably a spanking new ground with a 10k capacity.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I'll say the same as I did the last time this was posed:

I totally separate what TB, DK and MP have done for the club, and will not give a hint of back-handed glory to that **** Archer.
For me, it's all about intention. And his was to end BHAFC
. For that, he will never be forgiven, and quite rightly so.

Not so sure he had even thought beyond benefiting himself.

Otherwise agree he will never be forgiven etc.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We would probably still be playing at the Goldstone had he never been involved. With a home and a regular turnover of cash we may not have had Tony Bloom as chairman and without him no Gus.
Without any if that we may be struggling around League one with average gates of 10,000 and no real long term prospects of altering that.

The new stadium has turned our prospects around, Bloom has made the dream a reality. We should never have been put through what Archer did, but we have been rescued from the state we were in and now are better off for it.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
If we'd only bought all the land around the Goldstone in 1906 instead of letting them build roads and factories there,and taken over Hove Park and diverted the Old Shoreham Road north two miles and bought the greyhound stadium land and invested in property on behalf of the club and won all our games except the two unlucky draws in 1927 and 1948 and been taken over as an investment vehicle by the Monarchy,blah,blah,blah..................................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports