Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ireland 1-0 Germany

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Take note Scotland I could maybe understand but aren't England the only team with a 100% record in these qualifiers? What exactly should be noted?

What should be noted is that finishing well in your group, which we regularly do, doesn't count for Jack sh*t in the actual tournament and that 'plucky' Ireland got a result against Germany, which is something we tend not to do.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That would only be any good if Germany lose at home to Georgia though ?

No.

Head to head record is used, rather than GD. All the Irish need to do is better the Poles' result in Dublin (1-1). So lose or draw 0-0 they finish third, win or draw 2-2 or higher they finish second. 1-1 means it reverts to GD (so Poland).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well there are at least 5 English born players in the squad but you are right not as bad as it used to be. Well done to Northern Ireland forgot to mention them.

5 out of 23? And who are you counting? People like Jon Walters who has one Irish and one English parent, so every right to his Irish passport?

Off the top of my head, Cyrus Christie and Kieren Westwood are both 'one grandparent' qualified.

Out of interest, do you consider someone like Raheem Sterling to be English?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
No.

Head to head record is used, rather than GD. All the Irish need to do is better the Poles' result in Dublin (1-1). So lose or draw 0-0 they finish third, win or draw 2-2 or higher they finish second. 1-1 means it reverts to GD (so Poland).

I stand corrected. Didn't realise that and just assumed it was GD.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
5 out of 23? And who are you counting? People like Jon Walters who has one Irish and one English parent, so every right to his Irish passport?

Christie,Keogh,Walters,Pearce, McGoldrick didn't know about Westwood so now at least 6 out of 23. When did I say anyone doesn't have a right to an Irish passport or even dual nationality ?

Off the top of my head, Cyrus Christie and Kieren Westwood are both 'one grandparent' qualified.

Your detailed knowledge of the Ireland's players family heritage is very impressive.

Yes

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Christie,Keogh,Walters,Pearce, McGoldrick didn't know about Westwood so now at least 6 out of 23. When did I say anyone doesn't have a right to an Irish passport or even dual nationality ?

Your detailed knowledge of the Ireland's players family heritage is very impressive.

Yes

Your attempts at detracting from a great win over Germany are very boring...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Take note England! A lesson in passion and belief. Well done Ireland.

Sorry, but come on! It's a great win for them, but it's in no way any reflection on England.

The reason England have tended to be in "easy" groups is because they regularly qualify for major tournaments (alright, they then implode spectacularly once there, but they do usually qualify). The reason Scotland, Ireland and the rest get tougher groups is because they don't. England have won every single game in their group at the time of writing, despite a fairly transitional squad in many respects. I'm sure the players actually care about what they're doing: it's usually the tactics and lack of continental footballing sophistication that seems to be their eventual undoing.

You can't put a single win (and- let's be honest- a classic smash & grab, backs-to-the-wall win with a goal scored on the break from a massive hoof forward) down to simply passion and belief. It's just what happens in football sometimes, a little bit of good fortune and some decent defending.

Incidentally, if Wales were able to advance their world ranking position with a draw against Israel recently, this result must mean Ireland are now up there with Argentina and Brazil, yes?

SAC

May 21, 2014
What should be noted is that finishing well in your group, which we regularly do, doesn't count for Jack sh*t in the actual tournament and that 'plucky' Ireland got a result against Germany, which is something we tend not to do.

Any win against the world champions is great, however they only managed one point in two matches against Scotland. Ireland are on course to come third in a group that most people would have predicted them to come third in. England have finished top of their group with two matches still to play in a group that they were 2nd seeds in, behind Switzerland.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Sorry, but come on! It's a great win for them, but it's in no way any reflection on England.

The reason England have tended to be in "easy" groups is because they regularly qualify for major tournaments (alright, they then implode spectacularly once there, but they do usually qualify). The reason Scotland, Ireland and the rest get tougher groups is because they don't. England have won every single game in their group at the time of writing, despite a fairly transitional squad in many respects. I'm sure the players actually care about what they're doing: it's usually the tactics and lack of continental footballing sophistication that seems to be their eventual undoing.

You can't put a single win (and- let's be honest- a classic smash & grab, backs-to-the-wall win with a goal scored on the break from a massive hoof forward) down to simply passion and belief. It's just what happens in football sometimes, a little bit of good fortune and some decent defending.

Incidentally, if Wales were able to advance their world ranking position with a draw against Israel recently, this result must mean Ireland are now up there with Argentina and Brazil, yes?

If you factor in that they are not particularly any good anyway (in world terms), then any group would be deemed tough for them.

It would be difficult to artificially create an easy group for them too, a group where they under perform yet will still get guaranteed wins against other teams as the better teams in the world generally can.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Still think it's particularly hilarious that in a campaign when they changed the qualification rules to make it easier for smaller nations, Scotland have still managed to fail.

[tweet]652225096715780096[/tweet]

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Your attempts at detracting from a great win over Germany are very boring...

Yes it was a great win and I'm not trying to detract from anything just made a little (what I thought was a) light-hearted dig at our near neighbours. Sheesh I thought football fans could cope with a little bit of banter. Apparently some of them can't.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

He was born in Jamaica, he's called Raheem, and he's black. As much as less people have issues with the last one these days, sadly some folk still have issues with the first two. I don't get it either.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Still think it's particularly hilarious that in a campaign when they changed the qualification rules to make it easier for smaller nations, Scotland have still managed to fail.

[tweet]652225096715780096[/tweet]

In fairness, some of the home nations will find it cheaper to book a one week holiday through Thomson....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In fairness, some of the home nations will find it cheaper to book a one week holiday through Thomson....

Ha, I confess I did think four weeks was a touch optimistic when I read that :)

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la

I'm happy with the current England squad and think it's the best one we've had for a while and on paper should do well in France. Yes, Ireland's goal was 'smash and grab' but they didn't capitulate before they scored. What would really cheese me off would be winning the group at a canter, but totally ballsing it up at the tournament, particularly against a team like Germany who we are bound to face at some point. In other words, take note England, if Ireland can do it against world champions, so can you.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Yes it was a great win and I'm not trying to detract from anything just made a little (what I thought was a) light-hearted dig at our near neighbours. Sheesh I thought football fans could cope with a little bit of banter. Apparently some of them can't.

Coping alright thanks, but bored of the "England B team" snidey dig as it has been doing the rounds since Euro 1988...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here