Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Iran update.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There is one thing in life after being on this planet for a long time that I still can't reconcile.
I've met many people from Iran and they're wonderful people. I know people who've been
to Iran and they get nothing but warmth and hospitality from the people. And yet you have
head-cases running the country. Oh, hold on, the penny's just dropped. Boris!! Ignore this
post please.

People are fine the world over, it's the governments and the media that cause the problems.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
There has been a war going on between Israel and Iran for many years partly because Israel help the old Shah who the current regime over threw in 1980 and partly because Israel is closely aligned with the west (not just the US). The active fighting has generally taken place in Lebanon with the Hezbollah group who are backed by Iran and has been going on for many years. More recently Israel has teamed up with Saudi Arabia and the UAE as all see Iran as a major threat which has led to Israel actively helping some of the Sunni (Terrorists?) in Syria in their fight against Asad who is backed by Iran. Saudi is fighting teh Iran backed Houthi rebels in Yemen.

Both want to avoid a direct conflict at the moment though Israel has on more than one occasion bombed Iran directly (nuclear power stations) and has assassinated nuclear scientists. Iran has sent troops into Syria who have fired on Israel so things are hotting up.

The Shah left Iran (formerly Persia) in 1979. Iraq invaded in 1980-88.
The Middle East is a complete melting pot.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Probably but my meaning is more of a pot that’s about to boil over at any given moment. Poor analogy on my part.

A grammar school education. Wasted. :facepalm:

:wink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Never mind all this being nice to each other shite, Has Boris appointed Leaky as his Special Middle East Envoy yet? This sort of insider insight must not be wasted!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I did think you meant that but my pedantry instinct took over. Sorry. 😁

Don't backtrack. Standards need to be upheld. Ambiguity is the thief of time. I didn't get where I am today by looking a gifthorse in the bush. It's the early bird that catches the the quick brown fox.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The Shah left Iran (formerly Persia) in 1979. Iraq invaded in 1980-88.
The Middle East is a complete melting pot.

Iraq and Iran have been enemies for a long time because of the Sunni/Shia split and once Iran was no longer under the protection of the UK & US Iraq took the opportunity to attack thinking that Iran would be a push over as its military hardware would run out during the fighting whilst Iraq would continue to be supplied by Russia. The Iranians through (threw) manpower at it and funnily enough had support from Israel as they had same us/uk hardware. At that time IRAQ was seen as a greater threat by Israel.

Melting pot is such an understatement:) to describe the complexities of the region.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here