Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipswich Town (merged)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Christ they're on a roll at the moment.

Jimmy Bullard and Daryl Murphy have just signed with Ibrahima Sonko on his way in as well.

This summer they've bought in:
* Jimmy Bullard, free agent
* Daryl Murphy from Celtic on loan
* Keith Andrews from Blackburn on loan
* Jay Emmanuel-Thomas from Arsenal for undisclosed fee
* David Stockdale from Fulham on loan
* Lee Bowyer, free agent
* Michael Chopra from Cardiff for £1.5m
* Ivar Ingimarsson, free agent
* Nathan Ellington, free agent
* Aaron Cresswell from Tranmere with compensation due

Now they've shifted 12 goals in the last 2 games but they're assembling a pretty decent squad there, if a little on the old side! Still with that sort of experience they've got to be a good shout for the play offs?

Honey Monster

Aug 24, 2011
I think they'll be in the mix for promotion IMO. Too much quality there, especially for this level regardless of the Peterborough result. Being 4-1 down and then having 2 men sent off didn't help their cause.

Norwich lost 7-1 at home on the first day of the season a couple of years ago. They went on to win League one that year.

Jay Seal

Aug 25, 2011
I can only see failure this season for Ipswich, it's not gonna end well

Butnow I've said this they'll probably go up!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
What are they looking to achieve by bringing in a piss-head to bolster their midfield? All I can think is that Jewel must be in desperate need of a drinking partner (if he's still able to get served anywhere).

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Big names but they won't necessarily do a job. I like the fact that we've followed the Norwich model of signing younger ambitious players from league one.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I think they'll be in the mix for promotion IMO. Too much quality there, especially for this level regardless of the Peterborough result. Being 4-1 down and then having 2 men sent off didn't help their cause.

Norwich lost 7-1 at home on the first day of the season a couple of years ago. They went on to win League one that year.

Being 4-1 down didn't help their cause when losing 7-1? State the bleeding obvious why don't you?

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Just because you've splashed the cash, doesn't guarantee success and anyway, nobody can ever understand a bloody word that Paul Jewell says.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
You know what, if Leicester are proving anything it's not the men on the pitch, it's the man at the helm.

Not bothered who anyone else signs because Poyet can get anyone playing his way, a winning way and is proving to be more tactically astute than most managers.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Have they got a rich backer? Those guys can't be on peanuts.
Backed by Marcus Evans who by all acounts is worth about a fifth of what Bloom is worth and by the end of this reason their debt will be around the £50m mark. Some people never learn

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Big names but they won't necessarily do a job. I like the fact that we've followed the Norwich model of signing younger ambitious players from league one.

Agree with this. A lot of 'name' players there, taking a last ride on the gravy train. Much prefer our policy of signing hungry players with a future ahead of them.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Always interesting to see how different managers go about it and he is quoted today as saying that there are at least two more signings to come!

Jewell clearly has a fantastic squad of players in terms of proven ability and experience. The balance of experience, to age, to continued motivation is always difficult to assess even assuming that he can blend a team from a group of individuals but you would think that most of that squad still have something to prove for one reason or another. Certainly very hard to explain last Saturday's performance (more so than the result) which lacked any sign of their being interested. Jewell has a lot to do and I can't help thinking that his whole career as a coach is built on just a couple of good seasons with Bradford and Wigan and those 2 promotions have masked many others when his teams have struggled. But in Hutchings (ex-Albion lest we forget) he has, if not an exciting, then at least a competent and experienced number two. Hard to see them not turning it round and at least being in a position to challenge before the end of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here