Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipswich Town bans young fans over 'flying balls' fear

D

Deleted member 22389

When my now grown-up lads started to go to football at the age of 4 or so, the only way they could see the game from the terraces was by standing by the wall on the front (or sitting on it if allowed). (Cr@p view for me, but I was only allowed to go if I took them.) Back then, being hit by any ball was just a natural risk, and being hit by, or touching the actual match ball, was an honour!

When my dad took me to the Goldstone me and all the other small children used to stand on milk crates at the front. Imagine that today. Next they will be attaching seat belts to the seats and a message to belt up on the big screens before the match.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
When my dad took me to the Goldstone me and all the other small children used to stand on milk crates at the front. Imagine that today. Next they will be attaching seat belts to the seats and a message to belt up on the big screens before the match.

Front of the South West for me and my milk crate c.1974 :thumbsup:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62

And the chance of getting a milk crate past the first outer security at any ground today is zero. Back then, some dads made specially painted blue and white wooden stools for the kids.

D

Deleted member 22389

Front of the South West for me and my milk crate c.1974 :thumbsup:

Made by debut in about 1979 so you have 5 years on me, but I remember it well. Dad's pushed me to the front with all the other kids and their milk crates.
If I ever take my daughter it will be an allocated seat, with some Albion branded sweets in the family area so that young ears don't get burned. Back then nobody worried about our ears, it was life experience.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Perhaps Ipswich could also ask their goalkeeper to avoid making any saves, and their strikers to shoot accurately, which would further reduce the chances of injury.

I'd have thought any parent taking their under 5 to a sporting event and sitting at the front should have adequately risk assessed the visit themselves anyway, surely?

D

Deleted member 22389

And the chance of getting a milk crate past the first outer security at any ground today is zero. Back then, some dads made specially painted blue and white wooden stools for the kids.

No bloody chance, I just about get in with my bike pump to which I usually say, I bought it along so I can blow the ball away from our goal.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Against Derby, the ball came into the crowd heading straight for someone a few rows infront of me, unfortunately they had weak wrists and could only palm the ball directly towards my face, luckily I have the reactions of a cat and flicked it over my head. the only problem the lady behind caught a face full of ball. Probably not for the first time, she looks a bit dirty.

I wonder if she reads NSC? If so, you might be getting a tap on the shoulder at the next game!!!

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
My first game (1966?) my grandpa and I stood behind the South Stand goal and I was looking around, particularly at how tall the flood lights were when during the warm up the ball sailed over the bar and smacked me full on the bonce. I seem to remember that people checked I was ok before they all laughed. Can't remember who we played or what the score was but can remember the flood lights and the smack of the ball. It' not stopped me.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Bit like Charlton two years ago when they left the practice nets up giving half the away crowd a crap view because a ball might hit a disabled supporter

I was there with my disabled child, and trust me, we were both as pissed off as you. Ironically, we asked to go there, because the last time we went my son couldn't see a thing, because all the able bodied fans stood up in front of the disabled seating resulting in a fantastic view of fellow supporters backs. So on the plus side, at least he saw a lot more of the game this time.

What they should have done is put some of that netting stuff on the seats in front of the mid stand disabled seating, so that when the crowd rise in anticipation of a goal/corner/all game for standing Albion fans/ those in wheelchairs can still see, but they wanted the ticket sales, so they sell em, leaving us with the all to often fight with people in front to sit down so my lad can see something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here