Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipswich fans in hissy fit over losing Kuszczak race - to Brighton FFS!

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
"Kuszczak" should be pronounced, more or less, koosh-chack or kush(as in push)-chack.
In Polish the length of vowels is not that important so both pronunciations are acceptable.

Last edited:

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
In their native languages, it's Pouchette and Kushtek.

I'm afraid the pronunciation you gave for Kuszczak is not entirely
accurate. As I said, the closest English equivalent to Kuszczak
would be something like Koosh-chack (or kush-chack, with short 'u'
as in 'push').

Polish names look scary for English speakers but the consonant cluster
'szcz' is basically English 'shch' (as in 'Welsh church').
Generally 'sz' is pronounced like 'sh' in 'shop' and 'cz' like 'ch' in 'choose'.

Last edited:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
You lot STILL banging on about this. Its all forgotten on TWTD.

THREE btw
couldn't agree more tbh. i cringe every time i read about 'taking a banner to ipswich'
sure, it wound me up at the time, but it was also derided by the vast majority of Ipswich fans

IfieldBlue

Apr 17, 2012
couldn't agree more tbh. i cringe every time i read about 'taking a banner to ipswich'
sure, it wound me up at the time, but it was also derided by the vast majority of Ipswich fans

same here. We think the owners of that rag at the AMEX was a bunch of morons from PR calling themselves section 6 or something. The rest of us hate em with a passion you can only dream about.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
same here. We think the owners of that rag at the AMEX was a bunch of morons from PR calling themselves section 6 or something. The rest of us hate em with a passion you can only dream about.

They may be morons all right. I was pretty upset at the time but now think their banner was hilarious. Pretty good memories of that banner, the match atmosphere and, ahem, the game itself! ;)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Loving this thread - a cross between a lesson in phonetics and a discussion of moronic behaviour. Worry not IfieldBlue - we have our fair share of embarassments - happily not as visible (or risible) as yours but we can empathise! Thanks Guy Crouchback (is that from Sword of Honour?) - I can see why my friend Maciej is pronounced "magic" but how does Danuta get to be "danka" or is it just a diminutive? I've meant to ask her and never have.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Thanks Guy Crouchback (is that from Sword of Honour?)

Yes, it is from SoH. I am a keen admirer of your country's literature and Evelyn
Waugh is one of my favourite British writers.

severnside gull said:
I can see why my friend Maciej is pronounced "magic" but how does Danuta get to be "danka"
or is it just a diminutive? I've meant to ask her and never have.

"Danka" is indeed a diminutive of Danuta (another diminutive of this name is "Danusia").
I know that many Poles emmigrated to the United Kingdom since our acession to the EU.
Are there many of my compatriots among BHA fans? Well, there certainly will be now
after Tomek (another diminutive) Kuszczak moved to your club :)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Yes, it is from SoH. I am a keen admirer of your country's literature and Evelyn
Waugh is one of my favourite British writers.

"Danka" is indeed a diminutive of Danuta (another diminutive of this name is "Danusia").
I know that many Poles emmigrated to the United Kingdom since our acession to the EU.
Are there many of my compatriots among BHA fans? Well, there certainly will be now
after Tomek (another diminutive) Kuszczak moved to your club :)

Thanks for that - you should have been "Thunderbox"! :lol:
I have managed to convert a few Poles to support Brighton from a distance and even took a small group to watch us play at Birmingham last season. We visited them in Gorzow Wielkopolski last year - I could see why they needed a decent football team to support. :lol: They will be with me again this season and at Wolverhampton hopefully. I met Tomek a few years ago when I awarded his partner her honours degree and there is a photo somewhere of me with them both. Strange coincidence.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Thunderbox! What a quality username that would be, especially for someone
who talks as much s*ite as I do :lol: I really should have thought about it.
Oh, well...

Fair play to you for converting a few Poles to Brighton supporters. I know
that your local rivals Southampton have a lot of Polish fans (well, what should
we expect with a club from a city with 25% Polish population, nickname
"The Saints" and playing at Saint Mary's stadium :lol:).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thunderbox! What a quality username that would be, especially for someone
who talks as much s*ite as I do :lol: I really should have thought about it.
Oh, well...

Fair play to you for converting a few Poles to Brighton supporters. I know
that your local rivals Southampton have a lot of Polish fans (well, what should
we expect with a club from a city with 25% Polish population, nickname
"The Saints" and playing at Saint Mary's stadium :lol:).

A lot of Poles round here (Southampton area) but 25% is a MASSIVE exaggeration. Maybe 8-9%?

Southampton FC have overtly courted the Polish Pound over the years. They advertise the games in posters in Polish, and print Polish version of the program. Of course signing Polish players is a big part of it, too. Bartosz Biakowski (sp) didn't really work out (he's just left), but in the past Kamil Kosowski and Marek Saganowski were very popular.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

Difficult isn't it. The BHA Precious Crew who rant on about this and other topics keep many of us away from NSC which is a pity as so many posts and posters are amusing, witty and well-informed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here