Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPod Touch advice?

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
If you want a deal then best thing is to get one from Dixons at the airport as it will be VAT free.

64 Gig is amazing, and some of the App games are both fun and dirt cheap, such as Angry Birds and Plants v Zombies.

Schme-gull

Feb 26, 2010
land of the hobbits
If you want a deal then best thing is to get one from Dixons at the airport as it will be VAT free.

64 Gig is amazing, and some of the App games are both fun and dirt cheap, such as Angry Birds and Plants v Zombies.

not planning on going on holiday anytime soon, is it possible for me to go there and buy it without going on holiday? :lolol: might sound a bit weird but i'm not a big fan of flying so dont usually go near airports :thumbsup:

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
My daughter bought a 32gb ipod touch today from Currys £234 plus a FREE £50 itunes voucher. My son is looking at the 8gb version -best price I can see is £139.99 from Amazon.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
If you can live without the apps (most of which you'll probably use a couple of times, then forget about anyway) then the Sony NWZ X1060 is a far better device than the Apple.

Better screen, much better sound quality, built in digital noise canclleing, and comes with top quality earphones.

Best personal media player around at the moment.

The 32Gb version is £199 at Tesco Direct.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Love mine, and I'm an Apple-hater by inclination thanks to eight years of enforced Mac-use.

And the apps are the whole point. Some you'll use loads, and some, as TonyW says, you'll use a few times and forget about. What you do then is get some more.

No point bothering with 8mb. Think I can cope with my 32mb, though if you're thinking of putting on loads of films you might was the 64mb. I only ever hire films from iTunes and then they're deleted automatically once you've watched them, which helps.

Amazon emailed me yesterday to say that the 32mb is currently £209, which is pretty good given the Apple RRP of £234, so go through the link at the top and make NCS a bit of money too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fabulous bit of kit. Probably the 2nd best invention of the last 10 years (after Sky+).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you can live without the apps (most of which you'll probably use a couple of times, then forget about anyway)

I don't think I know a single iPod Touch owner for who that is the case.

It's the last thing I use at night - maybe using TVCatchup (ok, not an App I guess, as essentially via Safari) or playing Championship Manager, and the first thing I pick up when still in bed every morning and use things like Stocks, Accuweather, Echofon and Facebook.

Built-in Nike+ is great if you're a runner.

Loads of wonderfully playable little pick-up and play games like Geared, Boxed In, DoodleJump, Zen Bound, Flight Control, Stone Loops, Bejeweled, Peggle, Traffic Rush, Doodle Golf, Angry Birds help kill odd minutes. Then there are the more time-consuming ones like Championship Manager, Assassins Creed 2, Steel Sky, MGS Touch, The Settlers and Monkey Island. If anything I wish I had more time for the apps on my Touch!

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the apps, I know lots of people love em.

Me, I just can't be arsed with the things.
I play games on a PSP (sometimes) and, for obvious reasons, the PSP is way, way more sophisticated at game playing than an iPod could ever be.

But I do know a few folk that have bought the Touch assuming that its the best media player around, and it isn't.

Its damn good, but you are paying for the whole package.

If you are looking to play MP3's, watch vids etc. and aren't really that bothered about the apps (like me) then the Sony blows the Apple away in terms of sound and screen quality.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Can't recommend it highly enough. I got a refurbished 32GB gen 2 (which is virtually the same as gen 3) for £170. Looked as good as new. Have a look on Ebay or the Apple refurb store for bargains.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
I've got the 32gb Touch and the 3GS iphone. I originally bought the touch thinking I was being clever and getting virtually everything the iphone has, but for half the price. However, for me, the iphone blows the touch out of the water! Mainly this is as once you leave a wi fi area, the Touch just becomes a music/video player. The 3G on the iphone makes this bit of kit that seems so fantastic when you are in a wi fi area equally fantastic when you are out and about as the 3G takes over where the wi fi left off

The other thing I noticed is that my Touch shows up fingerprints very easily whereas the iphone has glass coated with some kind of protector, and still shines away even when you've been using it

Definitely wouldn't get the 8GB though when for an extra £100 you can quadruple the storage space

Does anyone else have an iphone and a Touch? I'm in 2 minds whether or not to sell my Touch now I've got the iphone?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I only have an 8gb, but dont use it for videos, and as far as apps and music are concerned thats plenty for me. As others have said, i love it, and cant reccommend one enough, and do not understand the attraction of the classic ipods anymore.
As far as Deals, i was a bit tight when i bought mine, so ended up getting the 8gb from CEX in Brighton for about £110 second hand. They have now gone down to £92 for the 8gb category C (which mine is), it did have a couple scratches, but nowhere near as bad as i thought it would be and i was allowed to chose the one i wanted from the ones they had in stock. Within a week or two it would have been scratched anyway, and got a years guarantee!
They now do the 32gb for £135 category C, which i thinks a bargain, if you dont mind it having a couple of small scratches to save yourself £100 or so.:thumbsup:
Cex.co.uk : electronics : portable audio video : Apple iPod : Apple iPod Touch 32GB Grade C

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I've got the 32gb Touch and the 3GS iphone. I originally bought the touch thinking I was being clever and getting virtually everything the iphone has, but for half the price. However, for me, the iphone blows the touch out of the water! Mainly this is as once you leave a wi fi area, the Touch just becomes a music/video player. The 3G on the iphone makes this bit of kit that seems so fantastic when you are in a wi fi area equally fantastic when you are out and about as the 3G takes over where the wi fi left off

The other thing I noticed is that my Touch shows up fingerprints very easily whereas the iphone has glass coated with some kind of protector, and still shines away even when you've been using it

Definitely wouldn't get the 8GB though when for an extra £100 you can quadruple the storage space

Does anyone else have an iphone and a Touch? I'm in 2 minds whether or not to sell my Touch now I've got the iphone?

I suppose but I couldn't justify paying £40 a month for a phone, especially one that only has 16GB.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Exactly I'm not happy shelling out another £360 a year minimum to be connected wherever I have a phone signal. I can cope without being able to access the web 24/7 so the cost far outweighs the benefit in my case. If need it for business and need internet/emails on the go then you should go for the iPhone

Kenneth Wattle

Aug 31, 2007
As Hatterlovesbrighton says, try the Apple Refurb Store. I bought my 60gb video ipod and my 32gb ipod touch from it and must have saved hundreds! It doesn't always have them in stock but it's worth checking daily to see if they are (none in stock at the mo but normally are within a week of trying)

Full year long guarantee I think, refurbed to apples high standards, new headphones etc, and super-quick postage! Couldn't reccomend it more for saving a bit of £££ on a top top gadget!

Refurbished iPod - Apple Store (U.K.)

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
As others have said, i love it, and cant reccommend one enough, and do not understand the attraction of the classic ipods anymore.

The iPod classic is currently the only iPod version with enough storage to hold my music collection.

Should the 128GB iPhone make an appearance, then I will purchase that and get rid of my iPod Classic and 16GB iPhone, but that probably wont happen as it would cannibalise iPod touch sales.

Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2006
Hailsham
I've got a 16Gb one and I love it. Got a Bose sound dock as well - fills my dining room with lovely a noise. Ace of Spades like you've not heard it before. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here