Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ipod speakers

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
the son has asked father christmas for something that will allow him to play his ipod thing out loud. he has an itouch, it was purchased jan 08 i have no idea what version that makes it.

given that this forum is a font of all knowledge on everything from the best crisp flavour to why you can't shit without peeing, can someone recommend me something that will work and i won't be replacing in feb 09 because it sounds awful.

or does anyone know if the original bose sounddock - the one that costs £140 ish now is compatible? this one
i tried to understand their website and their compatibility chart thing but failed.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
thanks.

do you know if that bose one is the best one for that sort of price? i am such a techotard i can't even use the ipod much less know what these things do.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
thanks.

do you know if that bose one is the best one for that sort of price? i am such a techotard i can't even use the ipod much less know what these things do.

you won't go wrong with Bose. Great sound quality.

NASA use them in the space shuttle and space station! Not Ipod docks, but speaker systems!

Bose are doing them for £149.00 also with free standard delivery. :)

Old Greg

It's Choade My Dear
Feb 5, 2008
thanks.

Bose are the best, but if you go on Amazon you can find really good quality speakers/docking stations for a lot cheaper.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If I could afford it I would go for a B&W Zeppelin, if you read the reviews, the B&W and Bose are the two that really get the ratings.

bw-zeppelin-ipod-touch.jpg

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I was after some speakers for my creative zen this Christmas but my 15 year old pointed out that all I need is one of these.

image01.jpg

Plug the jack into the zen (or any mp3 player I believe) and the red and black plugs into the back of any hifi and bob's your uncle.

You don't get the remote controls you get with the docks and the mp3 won't charge whilst playing. But for £2 on ebay (and that's the gold plugs version!) I get to keep my lovely little Nakamichi hifi and speakers.

I know it's not an Xmas present - but for others thinking about a dock for their mp3, if you can live without the neatness and have a simple sound system already, why bother?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
thanks everyone. have ordered one.

that looks great THRK but he doesn't have a stereo of his own otherwise that would have been perfect. he specifically mentioned for ipod speakers rather than a stereo so hopefully father christmas has picked right.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
this older model from klipsch(the current model is a bit naff) will come with all the adapters you need and a cradle that will take anything with a earphone socket.

and it sounds great,should get one for under £90 with a bit of looking( mine cost £160 last year) shouts loud enough too

Klipsch iGroove iPod Speaker System Black - iGroove HG - Compare Prices - Reviews - Features - Klipsch iGroove

agree with that - I have the klipsch and for the money - you can't go wrong.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
this older model from klipsch(the current model is a bit naff) will come with all the adapters you need and a cradle that will take anything with a earphone socket.

and it sounds great,should get one for under £90 with a bit of looking( mine cost £160 last year) shouts loud enough too

Klipsch iGroove iPod Speaker System Black - iGroove HG - Compare Prices - Reviews - Features - Klipsch iGroove

that is by far the best one to get, as good as Bose but you are not paying a premium for the name (£70 at amazon) - but its no good for 4th gen ipods, :censored: apple why change the way they are charged and not tell anybody

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
thanks everyone. have ordered one.

that looks great THRK but he doesn't have a stereo of his own otherwise that would have been perfect. he specifically mentioned for ipod speakers rather than a stereo so hopefully father christmas has picked right.

I think that's the right call. If that's what a kid wants then you store up psychological problems in later life if you get him a wire with three plugs on it! You really do - I remember wanting a bike and getting a camping stove (I don't and never did camp) - still recall it 35 years later.

I was just making the point for people who may have been thinking along similar lines for themselves. It's not as elegant but in these thrifty times, I was chuffed not to have to (a) scrap my little system and (b) splash out on expensive new kit.

Here is the cable in use in my office - plugging the zen into my little Sony system (crap but already there!). Works like normal - control the zen from my desk. Downside is the trailing wire - but I can live with that.

For all you youngsters looking in - the thing at the bottom of the Sony system is called a tape deck (or cassette deck) - was the mp3 of it's day and came just after wax cylinders.

Attachments

• zen.JPG
    zen.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited by a moderator:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would have suggested Logitech if it works with the ipod in question. I have them for an Ipod video and they are as good as the small Bose, if not better imo (as my son has the Bose ones). They were £100 but I saw them in Tescos at £40.00 not so long ago

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here