Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] iPod - RIP

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ah, maybe it’s time for my minidisc player to finally have it’s day in the sun.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
My ipod shuffle, what a useless thing that was

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Still got mine and occasionally use it at home or in the car, but my wife is in charge of music really and is a dab hand at all that as she uses music for her work.
She is trying to sort me out with Spotify, but I haven’t got round to it yet.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Blimey, just shows how retro we are in our house - neither my wife or I have ever owned an iPod; we still use CDs and and my wife still plays the occasional cassette. We talked about getting one, but it didn't seem worth it. We also still have a functioning VHS player, next you'll be telling me they don't make those any more ...

I can remember playing a cassette in the first car I had with a cassette player, a Donna Summer album in my Ford Capri back in 1977.
And no, I didn’t have a moustache or a medallion.:D

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Sad to see the iPod go, but it's no longer hitting a market need, to be fair.

Most people who want 'music on the go' are happy to now just have it on their phone.

And for the niche market of those that want quality 'music on the go' (because most phones are pretty basic audio quality tbh), there are now far better products. I did that myself – moving from my much-loved but aging iPod to an Astell & Kern SE200 a couple of years ago.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was considering getting a turntable for the Cortina, but a Weber DCOE soundtrack does for me just fine.

Can't find a photo of anything similar but we (my parents) had a mobile record player (45s) that you could use in the car and just slot the single in. It was about 12 inches square and a couple thick with a speaker. Fabulous it was, I clearly remember listening to Sherry by the Four Seasons on it. weird the things you remember from your youth!

Cutting edge at the time :smile:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I was considering getting a turntable for the Cortina, but a Weber DCOE soundtrack does for me just fine.

Whilst hitch-hiking through Germany on our way down to Italy back in 1966, we got a lift from a couple of guys who had a turntable in their car that played 45’s. We were well impressed.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Whilst hitch-hiking through Germany on our way down to Italy back in 1966, we got a lift from a couple of guys who had a turntable in their car that played 45’s. We were well impressed.

still is, if it doesn't jump about!

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/amazing-photos-of-a-time-when-cars-had-record-players/

vinyl in car.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have four of them, and more than 17,000 items (some 2+ hours long) saved on four hard drives. The Misery Hour, anyone?

Tried streaming recently and all my latest 'witch house' and 'wave' bollocks is available so I suspect I'm in old man territory. But I love random play and you can't do that by streaming can you? Bowie to Hunters and Collectors, to Existemy, to Fraunhofer Diffraction, to King Sunny Ade, to Gene Loves Jezebel, to Caravan, to Japan? Nah! iPOD forever.

I'm with you on random play and do so regularly on my Cowon and Sony DAP's.

I've never owned an i anything and no intention of ever starting.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My iPod Classic Video 120gb is a thing of absolute beauty. One of the best bits of tech I ever invested in.

Seeing the iPod come and go makes me feel old.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My iPod Classic Video 120gb is a thing of absolute beauty. One of the best bits of tech I ever invested in.

Seeing the iPod come and go makes me feel old.

I guess vinyl having endured from childhood to middle age is a kind of saviour. :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here