iPod help please?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
I'm sure there must be some ipodders on NSC who can help me.

I was given an iPod classic 120gb in September. It seems to be working fine, apart from the fact that it is too loud. Even on the minimum volume, I can still hear the noise. When I'm in a library / quiet place, I can't get the volume low enough to be a comfortable listening level. I hate loud noises, and it actually hurts my ears to listen to it. I'm using the standard earphones that came with it.

Does anyone else have the same problem or know how to fix it?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
As you've only had it for a couple of months I woul suggest contacting Apple and seeing what they say, it could be fault and need replacing under waranty.

Apart form that I guess you could try doing a restore back to factory settings see if that helps.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Is there a volume preset option in the menu?

I don't quite know to be honest.

There's a thing where I can set the maximum volume limit. But that doesn't make any difference. And the 'sound check' is off, so everything should play at the original volume.

I've never had an iPod before and I'm finding it really tricky.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Try some different headphones

Sep 20, 2005
I'm sure there must be some ipodders on NSC who can help me.

I was given an iPod classic 120gb in September. It seems to be working fine, apart from the fact that it is too loud. Even on the minimum volume, I can still hear the noise. When I'm in a library / quiet place, I can't get the volume low enough to be a comfortable listening level. I hate loud noises, and it actually hurts my ears to listen to it. I'm using the standard earphones that came with it.

Does anyone else have the same problem or know how to fix it?
I'm not sure, of course, but it sounds like your output volume is set too high.
If you go to iTunes on your PC / Mac you can adjust this on the tracks, either individually or collectively.
Highlight a song, or group of songs, and right-click to get the options available. Choose the 'get info' option. Then, go to the 'options' tab, where you will see a volume slider, which might have been set to the +100% option.
If this is the problem, you'll need to change it on all the tracks in your iTunes and on your iPod. With a 120gb machine, this could take a while.
If it's not this, I have no idea....get in touch with Apple on their website.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
I'm not sure, of course, but it sounds like your output volume is set too high.
If you go to iTunes on your PC / Mac you can adjust this on the tracks, either individually or collectively.
Highlight a song, or group of songs, and right-click to get the options available. Choose the 'get info' option. Then, go to the 'options' tab, where you will see a volume slider, which might have been set to the +100% option.
If this is the problem, you'll need to change it on all the tracks in your iTunes and on your iPod. With a 120gb machine, this could take a while.
If it's not this, I have no idea....get in touch with Apple on their website.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks, I just checked that... Everything seems to be at 'None', but I guess I can head towards the '-100%' side to make it quieter. I have about 10gb (thankfully not 120!) so it could take a while to do it.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Select the whole lot at once but highlighting (left clicking once) on the very top track, then scroll down to the very bottom of the page and hold shift and left click the bottom track - this will highlight them all - then right click and put it to about -50% or whatever you need!

Sep 20, 2005
Thanks, I just checked that... Everything seems to be at 'None', but I guess I can head towards the '-100%' side to make it quieter. I have about 10gb (thankfully not 120!) so it could take a while to do it.
You could also try adjusting the equaliser which might have an effect, depending on what type of music you're playing.
I always have the equaliser set to 'acoustic' because, in my experience, that seems to work best for most of the genres I play. It sounds terrible with the 'bass boost' on, for example.
The equaliser is on the 'windows' pull-down menu, by the way.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Thanks for the help everyone. I've adjusted everything to -50% in the hope that it will stop the destruction of eardrums. I just can't believe that the default setting was so uncomfortable to listen to.

I fiddled with the equaliser previously, but it had a minimal effect. Only worthwhile when using external speakers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports