Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPod Classic RIP

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Has anyone had a non working classic repaired, if so where and at what cost and was it successfull long term.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I love my 160GB classic, my journey to work would be a misery without it. Alas I'm now stuck, ipod wise that is, at August 2014 as my laptop's hardrive, housing all the downloads I have (mainly vinyl mp3 links, but a far few mailing list specials and hard sought oddities), died the other day so I fear as and when I get anew laptop I will lose all this precious virtual music. I have a lot backed up on an external drive but from November 2011 to the end of 2013 it's all gone.... :tantrum:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wish with hindsight I'd never done the iPod nano (1st generation) Replacement Program thing. The original was beautiful, sleek and shiny. The replacement 6th generation was squat and ugly.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
I use mine a lot. Don't have to be dependent on internet connectivity. V important when using iPod when out and about given I live/work in country, also useful when abroad and don't have to use data allowances etc. I know it will always work and play any song and not reliant on external factors.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I use mine a lot. Don't have to be dependent on internet connectivity. V important when using iPod when out and about given I live/work in country, also useful when abroad and don't have to use data allowances etc. I know it will always work and play any song and not reliant on external factors.

Simple trick. Get Spotify. Download the songs you want when you have wifi. Bob's your uncle.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I have a phone anyway, as do most people I guess, and unlimited data is £12 per month. Again, I'd have that anyway.

£12 a month on top of what?

I pay roughly £12 a month in total for my entire phone plan (unlimited calls/texts/some amount of data I've never exceeded but not unlimited) but that's because I don't buy my handset off the network on hire purchase. Significantly cheaper to buy unlocked and then sell when you want a new one.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
£12 a month on top of what?

I pay roughly £12 a month in total for my entire phone plan (unlimited calls/texts/some amount of data I've never exceeded but not unlimited) but that's because I don't buy my handset off the network on hire purchase. Significantly cheaper to buy unlocked and then sell when you want a new one.

On top of nothing.

Like you I buy my phone outright for the reasons you specify. I then pay £12 per month for unlimited data, unlimited texts and 250 minutes talk time (of which I use about 10).

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
On top of nothing.

Like you I buy my phone outright for the reasons you specify. I then pay £12 per month for unlimited data, unlimited texts and 250 minutes talk time (of which I use about 10).

Decent enough deal then. My plan's actually £14 at current conversion rates, keep meaning to change provider as its a 30 day rolling but never get around to it.

I love my 160GB classic, my journey to work would be a misery without it. Alas I'm now stuck, ipod wise that is, at August 2014 as my laptop's hardrive, housing all the downloads I have (mainly vinyl mp3 links, but a far few mailing list specials and hard sought oddities), died the other day so I fear as and when I get anew laptop I will lose all this precious virtual music. I have a lot backed up on an external drive but from November 2011 to the end of 2013 it's all gone.... :tantrum:

If you look around it is possible to transfer your music collection back off your iPod onto a new PC/Mac. iTunes doesn't allow it because it could be used for music piracy, but there are a number of free program's that will do it.

A friend of mine had a similar problem a few years ago when she split up with her partner and he took the PC with her iTunes library. I managed to set her up with her full iTunes library on a new laptop.

D

Deleted member 18477

On top of nothing.

What network?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Simple trick. Get Spotify. Download the songs you want when you have wifi. Bob's your uncle.

? Eh, I still need a 160GB (well, mine's 120GB full) device to store it all on. I want ALL my songs on my device, then I choose which songs (wherever I am) depending on my mood. The whole point of the device for me is that I don't have to think beforehand what music I want on it, they're all on there anytime, anyplace.

All my music is on iTunes anyway, not Spotify. I have it all locally (and on iPod) so why download them all again?! Also, I use iTunes match - this is OK for using my iPhone for music when in data connected areas, when in London etc., however most the time I am in the country.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This incurs and extra charge. Not everything is on Spotify. And I presume you need a iPod touch or iPhone; I prefer (need) a separate item for my music.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I guess there's no substitute for having all of your songs in your pocket available at any time without a network. You simply need disk space. In which case, woudln't it be nice if they put a damn Micro SD card slot in the iPod Touches?

Regarding Spotify though, I honestly don't know what I'd do without it now. The only downside is having to plan what you want to listen to when going places with no signal. (or if you have a data limit)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you sign up to Spotify you have a massive choice of music, what happens to all this music if you decide that you don't want to keep paying them every month?? I keep what is on my ITunes regardless, can I do the same with Spotify?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
? Eh, I still need a 160GB (well, mine's 120GB full) device to store it all on. I want ALL my songs on my device, then I choose which songs (wherever I am) depending on my mood. The whole point of the device for me is that I don't have to think beforehand what music I want on it, they're all on there anytime, anyplace.

All my music is on iTunes anyway, not Spotify. I have it all locally (and on iPod) so why download them all again?! Also, I use iTunes match - this is OK for using my iPhone for music when in data connected areas, when in London etc., however most the time I am in the country.

Agree with this. I would be lost without my 160 GB ipod classic where I can pick or choose what I want to listen to when I want to listen to it. Anyone have any suggestion for what my best options are for a high capacity storage device once my classic dies?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
If that happens to me, I would try and have the iPad repaired (new HDD or battery depending on what actually died)

Failing that, I will try and source a run out 160GB iPod (Amazon etc., maybe eBay).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here