iPhone 5

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Anyone ??
I'd like to know this as well
Would be well handy to run an iPad off the handset when out and about

No Tethering on the typical 10 quid 'goodybag' that everyone uses.
You can buy a 'data bag' which is ok to tether with, however pretty expensive. Giffgaff dish out temporary 3G bans willy nilly, they clamp down on it.

However, there are workarounds... I've had a few telling off's by The Gaff but depending if you're jailbroken, there are ways! (Don't tell the others).

In regards to Outright Vs Contract.

These are my estimated prices with the Three network (on contract) compared to buying the phone outright and using a PAYG GiffGaff sim:

iPhone 5 - Three Network:

50 for the handset
33 p/m for 24 months on 'The One Plan' (which allows unlimited tethering)
= 842

iPhone 5 - Outright w/ GiffGaff

500 For the handset
10 p/m for 24 months
= 740

Benefits of Three Network:
Unlimited Tethering
Many more inclusive minutes
Small monthly cost

Negatives of Three Network:
Long 24 month contract (to get the lowest price)
Near no-chance of getting out of the contract

Benefits of GiffGaff:
Cheap PAYG optional monthly cost
Unlimited 3G Mobile Data
No commitment
Open to O2 & Tesco networks

Negatives of GiffGaff:
No tethering (without tiresome and unpredictable workarounds)
Not as many inclusive minutes
Next to no customer service, 'ask an agent', 24-36 hour response

SP's Final Verdict:

If you have the expendable cash to buy the phone outright, you will save 100 quid over 24 months compared to on contract. Even though Giffgaff have terrible customer service, I have had no problems and think the 10 quid goodybag is an absolute steal!
However, all is not lost if you can't afford to dish out 500 quid to Apple. Over the two years the added cost is close to 100 pounds, that's 4.16p a month which also gets you unlimited tethering. Which may seem tempting to many people (myself included).
Either way, there is a good bargain to be had with either provider, PAYG or Contract.

Please remember the above prices are estimates and not to be taken as guaranteed Three Network contract prices.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A reasonable analysis, [MENTION=17571]StonehamPark[/MENTION] but you miss out a few things...

1. Buying the phone outright gives you the opportunity to change your phone whenever you like or, even, just sell the thing if you need some cash in hand.

2. Apple customer service if you've gone direct. Last week the top button on my nearly year old iPhone 4S was a bit sticky. It still worked every time, nothing was functionally wrong with the phone, but it lacked the solid click it previously had. I took it back to an Apple Store where they immediately swapped the phone for me for a new one. iCloud synced up a few minutes later and my new phone was exactly the same as my old phone in every respect.

Everyone I know who has bought a phone from a network reseller has had nightmares when something has gone wrong - a struggle to get the phone looked at, a period of time without a phone at all, and Russian Roulette whether it will actually be repaired when it comes back.

These two features of going down the 'Direct from Apple' route are worth a lot to me.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
These two features of going down the 'Direct from Apple' route are worth a lot to me.

Fantastic point, that should have been top of the 'outright w/giffgaff' benefits.
I've been lucky enough to only need to use the Geniuses on a couple of occasions and of all the customer service I've encountered around the world, the Apple staff are top by many miles.
Good shout :)

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
New iPhones will have been rattling off the production lines for some time now, ready to be the fastest selling electronic device in history on launch.

Teething problems, should there be any, will be resolved in software. Waiting for stuff to be ironed out is not relevant here.

An iPhone 4s on launch was £499. 12 months GiffGaff with unlimited texts and data is £120. You can sell the phone now for c£300. If you can afford the initial outlay, why would you pay £35 per month, or more, and be locked in for 24 months?

Trouble is, GiffGaff's "3G" network is does not do the iPhone justice. I'd sooner pay the extra fiver a month for a proper network

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
A reasonable analysis, [MENTION=17571]StonehamPark[/MENTION] but you miss out a few things...

1. Buying the phone outright gives you the opportunity to change your phone whenever you like or, even, just sell the thing if you need some cash in hand.

2. Apple customer service if you've gone direct. Last week the top button on my nearly year old iPhone 4S was a bit sticky. It still worked every time, nothing was functionally wrong with the phone, but it lacked the solid click it previously had. I took it back to an Apple Store where they immediately swapped the phone for me for a new one. iCloud synced up a few minutes later and my new phone was exactly the same as my old phone in every respect.

Everyone I know who has bought a phone from a network reseller has had nightmares when something has gone wrong - a struggle to get the phone looked at, a period of time without a phone at all, and Russian Roulette whether it will actually be repaired when it comes back.

My iPhone stopped working in May 2011. I got it from an 02 shop. They suggested I take it to Apple Store who did a few tests and then replaced it without a hassle. Great customer service.

And Smith Did Score

May 9, 2010
Glasgow
Many apple products here. Have only owned iPhones since launch in 2007. Bought my last 4s and kept the one plan contract. Main reason was the tethering it offered free of charge to power my iPad. This is invaluable to me as i stay in a hotel 4 days a week. Must say the genius bar experience for me has been top class on every occasion I have ever visited. iPhone 5 for me in 3 weeks

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cheers for this thread. I'd never heard of GiffGaff or considered buying the phone outright before but it is a total no-brainer for me. See you in the queue at the Apple store in a few weeks.

PS I second Apple's after sales care thumbs up.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Would also add gives u choice of operator without having the bother of getting the phone unlocked

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

I'm considering going direct to Apple this time and buying the iPhone5 sim free. I'll then just stick my current contract sim into the phone and sell my iPhone4 on to recover some of those costs. Once my current contract is up I'm weighing up between giffgaff and 3 at the moment. The 3 "one plan" gives you unlimited internet and free tethering so I can then get rid of the mifi that I use for my Ipad, I'll also have another new phone that I can sell on if I do go down this route meaning the iPhone5 should have cost me next to nothing. What it costs me extra in having a 3 contract over a giffgaff PYAG will be negated by not having to pay for the mifi connection anymore.

What are the chances to being able to pick-up a phone on release from Apple? Will they do a pre-order? I've never gone down this route before with a phone so not sure how good the supply will be compared to the demand.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
i was going to buy an ipad on sat and the geezer in the shop told me to hold on. any ideas when it will come out?

We're mid-cycle - expectation would be another 6 months or so.

He may have been referring to the much-mooted iPad mini - a c7" smaller form factor iPad to compete with the Nexus 7. Cost could be c£250. As ever, with Apple - it's all guesses until it appears, if it appears.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
i was going to buy an ipad on sat and the geezer in the shop told me to hold on. any ideas when it will come out?

I doubt there will be a new iPad before Xmas, the "new iPad" was only released in March. I guess he meant to hold on as their is an update to the iOS due next month so if you buy a new iPad once that has been released it should come pre-installed rather than having to do the upgrade yourself at home.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What are the chances to being able to pick-up a phone on release from Apple? Will they do a pre-order? I've never gone down this route before with a phone so not sure how good the supply will be compared to the demand.

There will almost certainly be pre-ordering which will have the phone UPSed (or similar) to your door on release date. Or you can take your chances and queue at a store.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I heard the i phone 5 will have a different sim card, anyone know how this will affect having a PAYG contract, do most companys just start producing them to fit any phone.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
QUOTE=TWOCHOICEStom;5164412]Can everyone stop talking about iPads please. It's making me angry. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

We will carry on talking phones then...:wrong:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here