Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipad advise please

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
I’m thinking of getting an Ipad but have some reservations which are probably my own issue in trying to get my head around the fact it’s not a lap top and everything has to fed through the itunes software.

So a few questions you those in the know might be able to answer:

1. Is there a hard drive that stores files
2. Will I be able to play films like avi files
3. How do I upload them
4. How do I upload a word doc, how does it save
5. Can I view edit word/excel files without the formatting screwing up
6. Why hasn’t it got a USB connection
7. If I bought one from the states what would the risks involved
8. Is it worth waiting for Ipad 2
9. Those that have one briefly what’s good/crap about it

Much appreciated

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can't answer all of that, but wait for ipad 2, due out in April.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I’m thinking of getting an Ipad but have some reservations which are probably my own issue in trying to get my head around the fact it’s not a lap top and everything has to fed through the itunes software.

So a few questions you those in the know might be able to answer:

1. Is there a hard drive that stores files
2. Will I be able to play films like avi files
3. How do I upload them
4. How do I upload a word doc, how does it save
5. Can I view edit word/excel files without the formatting screwing up
6. Why hasn’t it got a USB connection
7. If I bought one from the states what would the risks involved
8. Is it worth waiting for Ipad 2
9. Those that have one briefly what’s good/crap about it

Much appreciated

Just pop into the Apple store, have a play with one, and chat to one fo their geeks. You might even get some coherent answers that way.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wait for iPad 2 which may well be along before April.

I'll answer the other stuff later if someone else hasn't beaten me to it.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Good: mostly everything. I watch films, browse the web, play games and create documents on it. The battery is unbelievably good. 10 hours absolutely hammering movies.

You can do most of the things you've asked but in a different way to laptop. Definitely wait for iPad 2 but get down to the apple store to play before buying.

There aren't any risks in buying from the states at all. Except import tax and perhaps a charging cable needing an adapter.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I got one for Christmas and since then it has become an integral part of my life, I use it at work for work stuff home for home stuff, it is great for watching movies and the like.

The only pain is getting data on and off but I generally get round that by emailing or using dropbox for getting files on and off. To answer your questions:-

1. Is there a hard drive that stores files - It is a solid storage drive, from 16Gb to 64Gb
2. Will I be able to play films like avi files - Yes using the VLC player app or if you want to use the default video app, then you will need to use a conversion tool
3. How do I upload them - Upload is through itunes or as mentioned dropbox or via email.
4. How do I upload a word doc, how does it save - As per number 3 you will need to buy Pages which is used to edit word files, they are saved inside the app and can then be emailed or synced with itunes.
5. Can I view edit word/excel files without the formatting screwing up - Yes, you will need the number app for this. I use it and it works very well.
6. Why hasn’t it got a USB connection - It uses the apple dock connector interface into it and syncs conten with itunes, it how apple do it.
7. If I bought one from the states what would the risks involved - No risks involve just need a new power adapater
8. Is it worth waiting for Ipad 2 - definitely wait unless you simply must have one now. The only reason I got mine is it was a gift, if I was buying myself I'd wait.
9. Those that have one briefly what’s good/crap about it - See above.

Firefly

GTAV NSC Crew
Apr 8, 2010
Yes they are great - I got one as a gift.
But i would never pay 500-700 quid for one.
For what you get they are massively over priced if you compared them to other tech in that price range.
Yes you should wait, but not for Ipad 2 cos that will be a rip off too
Wait for a cheaper rival product - plenty on the horizon.

Agent_Torpor

May 1, 2009
The lack of Flash support really hampers any sort of in-depth web experience.
Ridiculous to assume that type of concession when charging that kind of pricepoint. But people are generally idiots and worship at the feet of Apple.

Additionally, any sort of HD navigation with an Explorer or Finder tool is nonexistant. Dropbox is the only recommended way to deposit data and even that has drawbacks. I wouldn't even think of doing any sort of doc editing/annotation on the thing, though. It's a reader by nature.

Still, a nicely-designed tool that feels well-constructed. Has its constraints, but if you don't ask too much of it, it performs wonderfully.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I love Apple stuff and use it fully at work and at home - but I can't justify an iPad at £400+

Will probably get one when they get down to £200-£250, but for the moment they are a lovely gadget looking for a purpose in my view ...

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
I love my IPad. Once you get used to the finger controls, they are fantastic. Great for travelling, and a good scrabble app that we play as a family on hols.

Great for NSC too! I'm using it now!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seems you missed a question: 10. what do I want an ipad for?

im not knocking, i mean this in a general sort of way. what do you need an ipad for, given you have so many question about what it even does? do you have a purpose in mind, and does it fullfill that purpose? or is it just to have the latest techno gadget (in which case most the questions are redundant, you want it whatever)? do you want to pay £400?

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
Thanks for that and taking the time to respond, much appreciated, I think I will wait until April and get the Ipad 2

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I work in new media and one of our bigger clients is Apple. Unsurprisingly there are plenty of geeks in the office who just had to get hold of the iPad as soon as it was released however the one thing I've noticed about all these people wandering about the place with their iPads is their desperation to actually make functional use of it. They'll buy adapters and gadgets to ensure they can plug it into the big display during a meeting or read from it whilst giving a presentation. This isn't because it's easy and efficient, but because they can.

And essentially that's what it boils down to if you ask me. If you CAN afford to chuck £400 at a pretty looking toy and you CAN think of enough uses to justify taking it everywhere with you then go for it, they're pleasant and fun to use. The idea that it's going to change your life OR replace a real computer is pure fantasy however.

The big thing for me is how the iPad users are received by others, and it is almost unanimously negative. They're a status symbol much like a massive gold watch or a signet ring is and the sad truth is that you don't look as cool as you think you do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here