Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Intimidating Grounds

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Intimidating Grounds

What is the most intimidating ground you have been to?

Alas, when Albion wnet up to the top division, I lost my job and I was a bit skint and I have not been to Anfield, although I have been to Old Trafford, the Old Den, Highbury, and most grounds in London but not Stamford Bridge.

White Hart Lane with 48,000+ was by far the most intimidation ground I have been to. The huge Albion contingent was lost in the huge mass of people.

Not the most aggravating, quite a few of the smaller grounds had nuisances. I expect Luton was the tops.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Cement Works - it was horrid

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
In recent years, Bristol City (not last season) outside the ground.

Must admit Millwall was a bit bad, before the game rather than afterwards.

I remember going to Out Trafford (league cup?) in the early 90s and getting spat on.

However the Palace game where Ryan? broke his leg. Were pelted with coins etc.. from Palace.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
outside the ground - port vale away when we were already champions but was just jealousy esp with Stoke in the playoffs.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Rembember that game at Palace well Clapham, a kid stood near me was hit by a coin, during half time I think. Not a good game for many reasons, was only my second away game following the Albion, think there was quite a bit of scrapping outside the ground too.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
saafend_seagull said:
outside the ground - port vale away when we were already champions but was just jealousy esp with Stoke in the playoffs.

We missed all that, walk straight out the stadium and onto the police coach convoy.

Actually, Grimsby walking back from the ground to the station wasn't great.

We were also at St. Pancreas going to Oldham (via Derby to pick up a mate) when we "bumped" into our friends from Millwall who were playing Leciester? away.

They were very polite but let it be known that they knew we were there.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Gully said:
Rembember that game at Palace well Clapham, a kid stood near me was hit by a coin, during half time I think. Not a good game for many reasons, was only my second away game following the Albion, think there was quite a bit of scrapping outside the ground too.

Seem to recall small pieces of masonry as well, I clearly remember something which resembled pebble dash landing near my feet.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The most intimidating ground is one with a 6ft deep hole dug in it.
Chris;) ;) ;)

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
clapham_gull said:
We missed all that, walk straight out the stadium and onto the police coach convoy.

Actually, Grimsby walking back from the ground to the station wasn't great.

We were also at St. Pancreas going to Oldham (via Derby to pick up a mate) when we "bumped" into our friends from Millwall who were playing Leciester? away.

They were very polite but let it be known that they knew we were there.

we had people chasing after our car going through the high street!

Remeber going past a chip shop with some kids shouting some abuse so we reminded them who the champions were and they got pissed off so we went round the block 3 times and reminding them each time we passed them :lolol:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
The Ali Sami Yen Stadium in Galatasaray, I have been to plenty grounds here and mixed with plenty of perhaps not so nice fans but nothing here has ever come close to the real, raw terror of going there.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
And at White Hart Lane it was a rather uneventful 0-0 draw. Gawd knows what would have happened if Albion had scored.
Mayhem broke out when we got a corner. That was mainly cause we couldn't see and everybody surged forward.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
perseus said:
Intimidating Grounds

What is the most intimidating ground you have been to?

White Hart Lane with 48,000+ was by far the most intimidation ground I have been to. The huge Albion contingent was lost in the huge mass of people.

That was a scary day!

We (4 of us) got there late and had to stand in front of the Shelf! There was a lot of trouble at half-time in the Park Lane End, where most of our fans were, and at the end of the game Brighton fans had to get on to the pitch for their own safety!

The walk back after the game wasn't much better!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
There was a Spurs game in the 70s when the fans coach got bricked and it had to travel all the way back to Brighton without a back window.

I wasn't there (too young) but my brother and dad remember it well.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
clapham_gull said:
There was a Spurs game in the 70s when the fans coach got bricked and it had to travel all the way back to Brighton without a back window.

I wasn't there (too young) but my brother and dad remember it well.

We had the same problem going to Chesterfield (last day of the season) when West Ham fans smashed in the back windows of 3 of our coaches at Scratchwood Services at 09:30 in the morning!

The police still allowed us to go the game!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Back in the 70's I went to Elland Rd with my ex to watch them play Manure a few weeks after Jordan & McQueen had transferred. That was intimidating and I was with the home supporters :eek:

Recently I found Swindon away in the play offs pretty intimidating. We had to walk back sandwiched between the stadium and the outside broadcast vans with Swindon fans walking the opposite way. Someone grabbed Locky by the throat and it was his own mates who dragged him off.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The last time we played Spurs they needed a win to go top of the league. The ground was being redeveloped and one side was closed which meant that the "away" section was packed with Tottenham fans and there was a nasty atmosphere in there. Then having been hammered by a Hoddle inspired team, Michael Robinson only runs half the length of the pitch and scores :ohmy: Spurs fans were not happy and the atmosphere turned from hostile to very aggresive. It was worse than the second leg of the Millwall play off semi final leg imo

Great result, scary day but I imagine we will have our own area with just Albion fans in it this time, so should be a great day out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here