Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interview with Mackail-Smith: Coping with injury and bits on Oscar, Poyet, Barnes and Ullo

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Pretty sure CMS was on target to hit 20 goals last season before his injury. I think people are remembering him as being more wasteful than he actually was.

Not many strikers at this level who score every chance they get.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Poyet's big failure at Brighton was his failure with his strikers.
Poyet got us to 4th, with a much cheaper squad than those around us. His only failure, was losing the second leg of the playoffs, and that could have easily gone the other way. When we got CMS in place of Murray, most of us thought we'd done well - trying to be wise after the event is pointless.

Feb 14, 2010
Poyet got us to 4th, with a much cheaper squad than those around us. His only failure, was losing the second leg of the playoffs, and that could have easily gone the other way. When we got CMS in place of Murray, most of us thought we'd done well - trying to be wise after the event is pointless.

I disagree. He assembled an excellent midfield, Murray would have stuck the chances away that both Barnes and CMS would blast against the keeper or into row Z. If CMS is to prove his worth then its not by running around like a headless chicken its by making Murray type intelligent runs and by calmly stroking the ball into the ne. We shall see if he has the ability when he gets back from injury but the fans judged both Barnes and CMS on what they saw. Neither were a patch on Murray. Poyet was an excellent manager but he failed with his judgment call;s with his strikers and that cost promotion IMO.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I did a piece a while back now - before CMS was injured - and the stats showed he scored with about 22 per cent of shots. Pretty similar, give or take a couple of per cent each way as Chris Wood, Charlie Austin and Jordan Rhodes at the same stage of the season.

Admittedly, Glenn Murray was away out in front, but that stats did provide some context as to how wasteful or otherwise CMS had been.

Feb 14, 2010
I did a piece a while back now - before CMS was injured - and the stats showed he scored with about 22 per cent of shots. Pretty similar, give or take a couple of per cent each way as Chris Wood, Charlie Austin and Jordan Rhodes at the same stage of the season.

Admittedly, Glenn Murray was away out in front, but that stats did provide some context as to how wasteful or otherwise CMS had been.

And Poyet let Murray go and bought CMS. Poyet was a good manager, excellent in fact but some of us predicted what happened. Murray was far, far better than CMS or Barnes. With Murray we would have gone up IMO and so for me Poyet's bad judgment call (and we all make mistakes) was his strikers.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He assembled an excellent midfield, Murray would have stuck the chances away that both Barnes and CMS would blast against the keeper or into row Z.
We don't know how Murray would have done. He wasn't great in his first year at Palace. What we do know, is that most of us were happy to have CMS instead of Murray when the deals were done.
Poyet was an excellent manager but he failed with his judgment call;s with his strikers and that cost promotion IMO.
His judgement on Ulloa was pretty good, and everyone rated CMS when we got him. Injuries and a below par game against Palace, where the ball didn't go our way, and Zaha took his goals well is what cost us promotion.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
And Poyet let Murray go and bought CMS. Poyet was a good manager, excellent in fact but some of us predicted what happened. Murray was far, far better than CMS or Barnes. With Murray we would have gone up IMO and so for me Poyet's bad judgment call (and we all make mistakes) was his strikers.

Don't get me wrong. I was a massive Murray fan. Gutted when he left.

Just saying I don't think CMS was anywhere near as wasteful as some make out. Pre-injury he was on for or 20 goals which would have been a very welcome return.

Feb 14, 2010
Don't get me wrong. I was a massive Murray fan. Gutted when he left.

Just saying I don't think CMS was anywhere near as wasteful as some make out. Pre-injury he was on for or 20 goals which would have been a very welcome return.

Well I hope you are right. If so then we have a shout of promotion when he gets back. I do remember that he said in the Argus that he had to make more intelligent runs and finish better in an interview. We shall see if he does, I really hope so, but I will and many others will roll their eyes if he blazes chances against the goalies legs or over the bar, but people talk about what a great "work rate he has". As Cloughie once said to his strikers "I pay you to score goals"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here