Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

internet security and PC performance

Jul 7, 2003
Got it back as the shop couldnt find the fault. It switched on ok in SAFE mode and has worked perfctly since then, rather strange.

Would definitely download and run a full Malwarebytes scan on your PC. Might be something lurking in the background. Takes a while to run but worthwhile doing given the problems you have had

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What is the general; opinion of which are the best free downloads.., I used Norton 360 but it cost and then I installed something and with it came Reg Cure Pro which I have been using but are there better downloads available.
Hi BG. I work for Microsoft, and I've logged in and found that your PC has been sending us a lot of errors recently. I've checked our records and it seems your machine is over a year old, and you need to update your license. This normally costs £50, but as a member of staff I get a discount, and can update if for £30 if you like. This will make your PC run faster again, stop all those annoying adverts, but more importantly, it will protect your PC from malicious hackers. PM me for details.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Hi BG. I work for Microsoft, and I've logged in and found that your PC has been sending us a lot of errors recently. I've checked our records and it seems your machine is over a year old, and you need to update your license. This normally costs £50, but as a member of staff I get a discount, and can update if for £30 if you like. This will make your PC run faster again, stop all those annoying adverts, but more importantly, it will protect your PC from malicious hackers. PM me for details.
Don't you need his date of birth, NI number, mothers maiden name, birth place, first school attended and favourite colour etc as well (and his account numbers)?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
If you're on Windows, for a home PC then the free Microsoft Essentials is more than adequate. Run CCleaner (free again) daily or so to keep the 'belly-button fluff' clear, Defraggler (same free source) regularly and monthly run a proper online scan eg. Trend Housecall or Nod32 for any hidden nasties. Job's a fish.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

:lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

matey

Mar 16, 2014

Really. Interested to know how you got BensGrandad's PC details.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I pm him and he said it was a wind up similar to those spoof e mails from Nigeria.

I have run an Avast scan, which took ages, and a number if items said ' moved to chest' what does this mean?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Trade secret mate. Here, let me check yours...

I pm him and he said it was a wind up similar to those spoof e mails from Nigeria.
Damn. Where's the fun in the truth. And leave those Nigerians alone, it's the Indians that are normally running that scam.

I have run an Avast scan, which took ages, and a number if items said ' moved to chest' what does this mean?
I think it's taking files that it doesn't think you need, and putting then somewhere that can be recovered if you later find you need them.

Run Ccleaner though, as suggested earlier. Great utility. Maybe also defrag your hard-drive (assuming it's not an SSD). Get a PC savvy friend/child/grandchild to help you. PCs are a bit of a pain for people that aren't into them, which is why Apple Macs are so popular.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
he would say that, Norton anti-virus is a poor product (bloated and slow) and he's trying to say his company are developing other products in its place. its not that malware is sophisticated, its that users as still stupid and most malware aren't viruses but apps, toolbars, widgets, etc that the user has volunteered to install, populating their PC with crud.

I would tend to agree with you. From my experience most basic issues from home/small business users are as a result of foolishly opening a zip file or document that should have been ignored/deleted and/or not correctly reading smallprint and add-ons when installing other software.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here