Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Internet Issues - Hope you don't need Government things

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
A number of leading websites are currently not working, including Amazon, Reddit and Twitch.

The UK government website - gov.uk - is also down as is parts of the BBC and a host of other media outlets.

Odd, I used both the government and Amazon websites this morning without any problems.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
This is spot on. Technology is actually a few years behind where the general public think it is. So things go wrong and you get the "In this day and age....." comments. A lot of quite complex internet based sites, processes etc although look quite stable are actually held together by hope, and a spotty teenager and a very old base programme that has been updated so often its like a patchwork quilt!. When you add in that a lot of traffic is all routed through a relatively small infrastructure, and reliant on a few big data centres its a recipe for disaster.

I am always surprised the whole thing doesn't come crashing down around our ears more often.

Yeah I've been in tech (databases) for about fifteen years now and I'm astounded at some of the stuff I've seen. And at some of the stuff people have left me in charge of.

I run out of underpants more times than I care to admit because I've forgotten to do any washing and they think I know what I'm doing?!

Madness.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yup. Is good stuff, highlights the issues with the centralisation of internet and creating a society where we are dependent on digital horseshit.

Absolutely. Fortunately the good folks at Maidsafe have been working on a decentralised internet for 15 years, and it'll hopefully be up and running in the next year or so.

https://maidsafe.net/

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Will my new season ticket arrive in time ? Will it work ? :nono:

You just know that rather than being waved into the ground, you will be set back to the ticket office, and told to purchase a paper replacement for the game at £10, but being a cashfree stadium, a tenner won't be accepted and the payment machines will be down as well.

about ten years ago i was called out overnight when our apps all stopped working. got into the server room to find a cleaner had unplugged the main router to use the floor cleaner. needless to say we promptly arranged for the plugs to have security locks fitted!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I have been on and off HMRC's website all morning and not had any problems. Just gone on gov.uk and all seems well. Just tried bbc and no probs there either.

Fake news?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Not that long ago the FDA in America recalled 500,000 pacemakers so their firmware could be updated as there was a cybersecurity risk they could be hacked.

Suddenly a self driving Tesla doesn't seem so tempting.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have been on and off HMRC's website all morning and not had any problems. Just gone on gov.uk and all seems well. Just tried bbc and no probs there either.

Fake news?

the problem is on sites that provide content, heavily cached to reduce load on the parent servers. the caching service has had the problem. HMRC would be direct connection.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Sussex Cricket ticketing site was down this morning due to that problem.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Apparently it has been caused by a sudden rush of English sportsmen, tv personalities, politicians and boybands deleting social media accounts and historic tweets.

Should be back to normal by tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here