Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Interesting Summary of the Olympic Stadium and what it’s done to West Ham

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We were stuck in our athletics stadium for 12 years, but we fought and got ourselves a proper ground, and that will have to give heart to the west ham fans that they can do the same

Completely different set of circumstances though - Withdean was only ever supposed to be a temporary stopgap while we sorted out a proper ground. London Stadium they've signed a 99 year lease, and are paying £7.99 a month to stay there.

Thats NEVER gonna change, whatever ideas the fans might have about one day moving away from it.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I accept its not Upton Park and all the downsides but lets get this right.

West Ham have always been a miserable self entitled lot.

If they were at Upton Park having the season they are they would be acting like its the end of the world.

I like West Ham and their fans are alright but my God are they up there in the misery stakes

Totally agree with this. It is grim watching football at Stratford, and I almost felt sorry for them when we mullered them there in 2017. But they were still mouthy after the game with homophobia prevalent.

I lived in Leyton in the mid 80s and used to POTG sometimes at the Boleyn when they had a decent team that finished top 3. Even then, their fans were moaning whingers - the chant I remember is "Alvin, Alvin sort 'em out..." (Alvin Martin) when there was a hint of substandard play. They would slag their own players at the first opportunity. Entitled, racist, homophobia was common.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Completely different set of circumstances though - Withdean was only ever supposed to be a temporary stopgap while we sorted out a proper ground. London Stadium they've signed a 99 year lease, and are paying £7.99 a month to stay there.

Thats NEVER gonna change, whatever ideas the fans might have about one day moving away from it.

I guess their only hope is an owner comes in.

Demolishes the Olympic Stadium.
Builds a fit for purpose football stadium
While
Funding a top 6 Premier League side.
Insisting on the West Ham way.

Simple pimple.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Agreed! It would have been fantastic. As nice a ground as the Amex is, it is basically just another bowl. It's a shame stadium architechts and the clubs themselves can't be a bit more imaginative.

I don't agree; I think that the Amex architects had a difficult problem to solve with a valley site, keeping the impact on the South Downs to a minimum, and comfortably accommodating 30,000, and they ticked all those boxes. It's also visually much more interesting than the cheap builds like St.Mary's and King Power. Any complaints about the atmosphere is not down to the Amex itself; safe standing in the NS with a clearly defined singing section would soon sort that out.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't agree; I think that the Amex architects had a difficult problem to solve with a valley site, keeping the impact on the South Downs to a minimum, and comfortably accommodating 30,000, and they ticked all those boxes. It's also visually much more interesting than the cheap builds like St.Mary's and King Power. Any complaints about the atmosphere is not down to the Amex itself; safe standing in the NS with a clearly defined singing section would soon sort that out.

A few home wins on the bounce would improve the atmosphere massively imo.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A few home wins on the bounce would improve the atmosphere massively imo.

As would more people taking responsibility themselves rather than trying to find blame in the perfectly good infrastructure

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Agreed. You can indeed criticise the certain aspects of the Amex (the size of the North Stand for example), but given the constraints of the site, the local Plan, etc, the architects did a superb job. The one thing it definitely isn't is 'just another bowl'. Any lack of atmosphere is solely down to the fans/team (chicken/egg).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed. You can indeed criticise the certain aspects of the Amex (the size of the North Stand for example), but given the constraints of the site, the local Plan, etc, the architects did a superb job. The one thing it definitely isn't is 'just another bowl'. Any lack of atmosphere is solely down to the fans/team (chicken/egg).

Totally agree bar the last 2 words.

There's absolutely nothing stopping us from having the bestest atmosphere in the universe, other than ourselves.
It's got nothing to do with the team and everything to do with the thousands of supporters, like me, who are last to join in and not first.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is this the time and (cue fish jokes) plaice to note that West Ham just signed, for £13M, a Czech attacking midfielder who has scored 10 goals in 19 games so far this season? Sounds exactly like the kind of signing we should have been making this month. Tho probably wants something annoying like the going rate in wages. Oh well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51285153

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is that legal? Demolishing something you don't own!

Dunno but the possibility popped up when I was looking for the missive from Brady telling the fans after they've moved nobody would be further back from the pitch, in their new seats, compared to their old ones.

I couldn't find that but did find a report saying Levy wanted to knock it down as did the previous West Ham owners, until they realised they had no more money.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Yeah I think I was attempting to make an amusing aside :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The plastic scousers don't seem to be having much trouble generating an atmosphere.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As said - White seats are a huge mistake.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Don't think the ground itself is the main problem for West Ham fans. It's the remote soulless location of Stratford and the fact theres nothing else around bar a shopping centre. Knocking it down and building a new ground wouldn't solve that.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Totally agree bar the last 2 words.

There's absolutely nothing stopping us from having the bestest atmosphere in the universe, other than ourselves.
It's got nothing to do with the team and everything to do with the thousands of supporters, like me, who are last to join in and not first.

Yeah, fair comment.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That survey was organised by the club though, so it was biased towards getting a positive response. Fans were given six options and told to select one. Here they are with the percentage of preferred options:

1 - Support the move to provide a better fan experience - 12%
2 - Support the move as it will provide resources to improve squad and club - 51%
3 - Support the move as it will grow the level of support - 6%
4 - Support the move as you trust the club's directors - 16%
5 - Consider supporting the move, but need more information - 10%
6 - Are against the move under any circumstances - 5%

Wow! That's some weighted survey, heavily weighted to get the 'right' result - could have been the perfect model for anyone who wanted a second ... err .... cough ..... survey!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here