Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Interesting piece on USG, Bloom and the methodology

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Muzio is their chairman, and holds a minority shareholding, he is more their Tony Bloom because Tony isn't involved in the day to day running of USG. They've worked together before so he's clearly a very trusted lieutenant in Tony's empire.

Philippe Bormans is the CEO so he's their Paul Barber, he started the role about 5 months after Tony purchased the club.

Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Tony wins! :cheers:

Seems wrong to me.

I seem to remember people not happy with Watford and their Udinese link up when we were in The Championship with them.

Maybe slightly different with Watford and the loan loophole they seemed to have discovered? Either way, I don't think it's healthy for one owner to own more than one club playing in the same federation.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Article written by Rory Smith of the Monday Night Club.

Looking at how USG set up and play, the ethos around the playing team, the success they're having, I'm starting to become more and more convinced that Felice Mazzu will be the man to replace Graham Potter when that day comes...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Seems wrong to me.

I seem to remember people not happy with Watford and their Udinese link up when we were in The Championship with them.

Maybe slightly different with Watford and the loan loophole they seemed to have discovered? Either way, I don't think it's healthy for one owner to own more than one club playing in the same federation.

Everyone else is wrong unless it is us and then it’s the greatest thing. Remember the shite Abramovitch got for loaning out all these Chelsea players…….and now we have more out on loan than actually can fit in our changing room.

Modern football.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Decent article, that. I see Muzio is effectively the USG equivalent of Paul Barber?

A possible replacement for PB when the 'great' man moves on???

Not sure about the last few paragraphs, especially in the light of 'our' new Polish recruit's swift in and out to Belgium...

Muzio is the equivalent of Tony Bloom. He is Tonys Partner in this venture, owns 25% of the club and is Chairman. Tony chose well who to go into partnership with and seems to trust him 100% so he doesn't need to worry about the day to day aspect.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
"The first step was to be promoted to Belgium’s top division within three years, and to do that, Muzio knew, the squad needed to be revamped. He presented the club’s experienced manager, Marc Grosjean, with a list of potential signings, all of them selected and assessed by Starlizard’s data.

Grosjean was not impressed. He used an expletive to describe Muzio’s suggestions, and then offered his own alternatives. “He told me that he would much rather sign a set of Belgian players, players that he knew,” Muzio said. It did not take long to find out what Starlizard’s metrics made of them. Muzio hardly relished it, but Grosjean was gone by the end of the month, his abrupt, if mutual, departure announced as “a difference of opinion on the sporting development of the club.”

“We have ways that we want to do things,” Muzio said. Resistance would only slow things down."

Opens for me, in full, without requiring to go through the paywall: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ghton.html&usg=AOvVaw3ifx39keJNw6ncOJdycZ ww

If anyone was wondering what the inside of Starlizard looks like:

Looks like they are after Python programmers:

https://starlizard.com/join-our-team/data-scientist/

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Seems wrong to me.

Watford and Udinese took the piss though, one season something like 12 players moved from Italy to Watford on mostly free transfers to get around the limit of a maximum of 5 loan players in a match day squad. These weren’t young players being sent out for experience either most were mid 20s seasoned pros. Bit different to us sending a couple of youngsters to USG for experience and/or to qualify for a work permit.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Interesting article for sure but makes me a little uncomfortable reading about Bloom and his partner basically buying a team for a play thing to see if they can beat the system and win the league.

On the plus side they seem to be absolutely smashing it but it doesn't feel like much of a fairytale

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here