Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interesting how the plans for a new ground were first presented

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
To be fair, it was 1990, hardly any teams had built new stadiums by that point (Scunthorpe and one other...Walsall, perhaps?). I can remember being excited at the time by that design. It just happens to look a little dated now, but then it's 22 years old. I daresay in 22 years time, when some teams are building new stadiums, they'll look at the Amex and think it's nothing special. Nothing is future proof.

You irritate me. Not in a bad way but you never, and I mean NEVER, say anything that I don't find myself nodding in agreement with.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You irritate me. Not in a bad way but you never, and I mean NEVER, say anything that I don't find myself nodding in agreement with.

:p

I just remember how amazing it looked to me, I'd have been about 13 or so. That photo mock up was on the front of the Argus and EVERYTHING. It was only a few years down the line that we realised how utterly pie in the sky it all was. That was meant to have been built at Waterhall I believe, and the council had already made it quite clear that they were against any development north of the A27, so it was a non-starter. Then Archer & his evil henchman thought they could bluff or bully the council into giving them land at Toads Hole Valley, though I don't remember ever seeing a design for that particular piece of fantasy.

Anyway. Millwall was the first of the decent sized new stadia to be built- even a couple of years after Scunny & Walsall built their new places, they were being criticised for incorporating roof pillars into the design, causing restricted view seats. Millwall might be functional & basic, but at least there's no dirty great poles blocking your view of the pitch. In fact, hardly any Championship grounds would have anything as shabby and embarrassing as that....would they? :whistle:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The artist seriously underestimated the number of JLEs.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
On the subject of Waterhall, anyone remember Bellotti's nonsensical coloured diagram for a new stadium there.

We nearly wet ourselves laughing at the complete "pie in the sky" thinking

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funny how clubs often float these schemes out just to placate the fans when its quite clear they haven't got a brass farthing to build the thing.

I remember thinking ok great but I'll believe it when I see it because a) the Albion were skint b) the by-pass hadn't been built (the Southwick Hill bit was still highly controversial - look at how the Worthing bit still hasn't made it) plus c) many thought Waterhall seemed a good site but key players including the railways didn't.

More recently Pompey and Palace are guilty of floating fanciful schemes for new stadiums when they really hadn't got the money or owned the site to do the job yet they still raise the fans hopes.

It does underline how fortunate we are to have what Tony Bloom has done for the Albion given just how traumatic the intervening 20 years had been. The Amex seemed so unlikely back then. I suppose it shows what can be done if you have the will and a special man with very deep pockets.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
More recently Pompey.....are guilty of floating fanciful schemes for new stadiums when they really hadn't got the money or owned the site to do the job yet they still raise the fans hopes.

Ah yes, the famous Portsmouth Toilet Bowl design?

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
On the subject of Waterhall, anyone remember Bellotti's nonsensical coloured diagram for a new stadium there.

We nearly wet ourselves laughing at the complete "pie in the sky" thinking

Yup, it was for Toads Hole Valley. There was red, yellow and blue on there. I think red was the stadium and blue was a 'retail development'. There was never any actual stadium design pictures from what I remember. Can't remember what programme it was in but it's in the loft somewhere.

Never has the expression 'drawn on the back of a fag packet' been more apt!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It does underline how fortunate we are to have what Tony Bloom has done for the Albion given just how traumatic the intervening 20 years had been. The Amex seemed so unlikely back then. I suppose it shows what can be done if you have the will and a special man with very deep pockets.

And still people complain like anything about it

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm surprised CPFC2010 haven't photoshopped that stadium design and joined on a supermarket at one end to present to their fans as a feasible redevelopment for Selhurst :lol:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
:p

I just remember how amazing it looked to me, I'd have been about 13 or so. That photo mock up was on the front of the Argus and EVERYTHING. It was only a few years down the line that we realised how utterly pie in the sky it all was. That was meant to have been built at Waterhall I believe, and the council had already made it quite clear that they were against any development north of the A27, so it was a non-starter. Then Archer & his evil henchman thought they could bluff or bully the council into giving them land at Toads Hole Valley, though I don't remember ever seeing a design for that particular piece of fantasy.

Anyway. Millwall was the first of the decent sized new stadia to be built- even a couple of years after Scunny & Walsall built their new places, they were being criticised for incorporating roof pillars into the design, causing restricted view seats. Millwall might be functional & basic, but at least there's no dirty great poles blocking your view of the pitch. In fact, hardly any Championship grounds would have anything as shabby and embarrassing as that....would they? :whistle:

Deva Stadium was built about then as well - with cantilever roofs.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
A creche? Really?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
To be fair, it was 1990, hardly any teams had built new stadiums by that point (Scunthorpe and one other...Walsall, perhaps?). I can remember being excited at the time by that design. It just happens to look a little dated now, but then it's 22 years old. I daresay in 22 years time, when some teams are building new stadiums, they'll look at the Amex and think it's nothing special. Nothing is future proof.

to be fair, the galpharm still looks pretty good and its 18 years old...

Yup, it was for Toads Hole Valley. There was red, yellow and blue on there. I think red was the stadium and blue was a 'retail development'. There was never any actual stadium design pictures from what I remember. Can't remember what programme it was in but it's in the loft somewhere.

Never has the expression 'drawn on the back of a fag packet' been more apt!
Indeed. That was the scheme that Hove Planning Department forwarded to East Sussex County Council, for comments on the transport aspects of the scheme. It landed on my desk. The only comment that could be made was that it was impossible to comment at all, until the football club submitted a transport assessment, spelling out what they actually intended to do. Hove Borough Council subsequently asked the Club, but there was no response. And, therefore, the whole scheme ground to a halt.

It was only years later when Martin Perry arrived, that the Club began to understand what was involved in making a planning application. Before that, everything was just public relations bluster.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Ah yes, the famous Portsmouth Toilet Bowl design?

Of course the notorious toilet bowl, how apt that they have virtually flushed themselves down it and will be just as non-existent as that pie (pan?) in the sky joke.

Plus Palace's vision for the future: The GAC (CACK?) stadium. Those two clubs have so much in common, 'plumbing' the depths.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here