Interesting Gus interview in Spanish media from a couple of weeks ago...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SE4 GULL

Oct 8, 2010
Brockley LONDON SE4
Google translated...

The former Uruguayan football player Gustavo Augusto Poyet football (15-11-1967 Montevideo, Uruguay) met a year ago his job as coach of the Second B English. "Without fear of anything", former Real Zaragoza midfielder between 1990 and 1997 was in front of the Brighton and Hove Albion when he was just above the relegation zone in that category.

Close friend of his friends, former Argentine footballer included the Mauricio Taricco, who shared in the Tottenham dressing room, among his most trusted men in the club. Now, the staff lead with eight points clear your table, a privilege that Poyet hopes to retain until the end of the season to ensure "that dream" of promotion and brand new stadium.

Restless and very talkative, "Gus" confessed in an interview with Efe that always points to the top: "lead in the Premier League" and the selection of Uruguay.

Meanwhile, the track "Poyet" continues to expand in the hand of his son Diego, who at 15 is called either for sub16 and Under 18 teams from England and, after debuting last October, fighting for her third passport (after Spanish and Uruguayan)-British "to" a future possibility. "

As it has been able to learn from old plays "Gus", refers to his father Poyet archived reports when he worked as assistant to the Spanish coach Juande Ramos at Tottenham (October 2007-October 2008) to be improving in his footsteps as a coach before take charge of Real Zaragoza, where he is "convinced" that there will be a place for him in ten years or twenty five. "

Avid football fan of classic landmarks such as Pele and Diego Armando Maradona, "Gus" Poyet believes his compatriot Diego Forlan also deserves to that list of history with the Golden Ball 2010 in its cabinet. "I vote," he says.

Question. What brought you to this club in England a year ago?

Response. It was a difficult decision. When I left I decided to coach Tottenham and I thought it was going to have a great "chance" in the Premiership. Months passed and nothing came out. You start to ask why not lower division and "prove" that deserve to be there. Then I caught the Brighton.

P. They are a UK based team but much foreign name, which is not very common in your category. Is that the key to preparing the rise?

R. In my experience here in England, when the team a good mix going to be different.

For example, two Argentines, Bati (Augustine Battipiedi) and the "Chinese" (Christian Baz) are in the process of adaptation. As for the Spanish, Inigo Calderon (former Alaves defender), and is adapted. I have a new one that has not had much chance to play because he has been injured, Fran Sandaza (former Valencia player). Give us the ability to have options, at some point in the match play something else, other than football.

P. To the end of its stage here, as his contract in 2014, do you have in mind? Perhaps, the selection sub'20 of Uruguay?

R. No. It was a possibility. When I finished I went to Uruguay to play one and a half. Things did not work as expected and decided to go back (to Europe). And, after living here (UK), adapted to the family, I got the opportunity to return to Uruguay. I decided to stay.

P. And the project with his former teammate at Real Zaragoza Fernando Caceres to just take charge of the club, are you still standing?

R. It's all stopped. We'll see. The main problem is that I am working here and that Fernando is still in recovery (after being shot in the right eye a year ago in Argentina). It was a situation, at any given time, the situation of the club, the way we were ... Even now it is discarded. It can happen at any time or never.

P. And what is exactly the idea?

R. I admire the big clubs like Barcelona, Madrid or Milan, to bring iconic players who belong to a special moment in the history of the club and help it work better because they are part of it. When I look at Real Madrid who are (Jorge) Valdano, (Emilio) Butragueno (Zinedine) Zidane, (Miguel Porlan) Chendo or (Michael) Pardeza, who played with me or, if you go to Barcelona and is directing and Pep Guardiola Luis Enrique with a team down (the subsidiary) and there are always people connected with the club, I like it.

We at Zaragoza are part of a history of the club and we would be able to assist and manage in a way that we would understand that is the best. Does not mean it is better than now.

P. In his most recent coaching career began, what would your biggest goal?

R. Obviously, you get to guide the selection of my country. The selection is awesome. Would be spectacular. It is best to get there because you deserve it, because you've been a very good level, because you have made an important race and, within twenty years, when we're getting old and you have all the credentials give you the opportunity to lead the selection.

P. What brought him his time with Juande Ramos at Tottenham (between October 2007 and October 2008?

R. Juande gave me the opportunity to go to the Premier. It was important, it gave me all the experience from within. The decisions we took him and I analyzed them let me now when I have a problem making a decision.

P. How did this former international World Cup in South Africa and Uruguay's progress?

R. It was surprisingly emotional. Not expected (fourth place) because we had gone from failure to failure. We were close. Do not say we deserved it more, but I have not lived 42 years and never a tournament of that level.

P. And after a busy year, it's December 6 announcement of the winner of the Ballon d'Or 2010. What options do you see his compatriot Diego Forlan?

R. If we base all year, until a few weeks ago, for me, she deserves it. I say no more than the rest. I would vote, not only because it is Uruguay, but because I know him as a professional. I know how much you care about the football team, the way you train, who is responsible ... and, above all, because a player can be very good, but it has to reach the World Cup and try it. I think if there was a player who tested above the rest, was Diego Forlan.

P. Who will be your strongest rivals in the list of 23 names submitted by FIFA?

R. Xavi is one of the main contenders. And I have to make (Wesley) Sneijder for winning everything. Everything but the World Cup, sorry for the Spanish, who will kill me (laughs). In the final analysis, the best are the winners. I never liked those guys who say they are spectacular and then look at his career and gained nothing. No, it was spectacular. The spectacular win something. Pele won the World Cup, Maradona won the World Cup where he played and everything. Those were indeed spectacular. So I think we have to give credit (Sneijder), which was at Inter Milan when they won the "Champions" and nearly won the World Cup with Holland.

P. Back to Diego Forlan, what you believe to be their run of eight games without a goal?

R. Diego is paying for the effort he made all year. I have no doubt. And the fact that it is so public, because he plays at Atletico Madrid, makes everything a little bigger than it really is.

P. On another of the Uruguayan players in Europe, Luis Suarez (Ajax), what do you think are your options of joining a Spanish League team like Barcelona?

R. Luis made a spectacular career. I think this year in the Netherlands is sufficient. Is a moment to go to a team from the Premiership, Spanish or Italian, with respect to the Netherlands. I think this year we may see the last of Luis Suarez in the Netherlands. It's time are key decisions that have to take it, but obviously you have to want.

P. "For next winter?

R. I think so. Has possibilities

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports