Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Interesting. chat in the bar

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Norwich fans disliking of Hughton reminds me of Ipswich fans and their disdain for Mick McCarthy - I wouldn't say they are unreasonable viewpoints if ALL you care about is being entertained by attacking football, but they simply don't recognise what those managers had to work with. When Hughton arrived, we saw some of the most sterile entertainment-free football we've ever seen at the Amex. But his job was to keep us up, and he did that. After that, he rebuilt and we immediately finished in the top 3 twice, something none of our other managers could do - including decent managers like Poyet and Oscar Garcia as well as the clueless Hyypia. Since promotion, he's rebuilt again, kept us up and looking like doing so again.

My take on it is that the recruitment quartet do their jobs as best possible, and Hughton is tactically pragmatic based on that season's squad. One day we'll accidentally sign two or three world class front men (like Leicester did in 2015/6) and when we do Hughton will line up his side to attack more than he does now. Until then, he plays with the team's limitations in mind and we win enough and rarely get spanked.

My take on his time at Norwich was that he kept them up comfortably, then signed Van Wolfswinkel who turned out to be shite - but shit signings are a fact of life in football, you win some you lose some. Consequently, he just got around that by building a cautious side and they were still comfortable enough in the league until fan power forced him out. Norwich fans didn't want cautious football you see. Anyway they binned him off for a less able manager (what is Neil Adams doing these days?) and then they got relegated. Had they stuck with Hughton, I reckon he'd have either binned off Van Wolfswinkel or reinforced them with competition, and they'd have regrouped and had another decent season in the Premier League, although I'm only basing this opinion on what he's done pretty much everywhere else.

The fact that Sir Chris has done such a fantastic job and is universally considered a hero in these parts is what is really eating up Norwich fans, who within minutes of his appointment took to Twitter to tell everyone how we'd soon be sick of him. We're not.

This is a great post, however the one big difference between us and Norwich is that the Albion are just pleased to be in the Prem and the goal is simply to establish ourselves in it. Here, Hughton is the perfect manager for a club in our situation and I think we are the pefect club for him. I believe Chris continues to improve as a manager and his best years are still ahead of him. I'm sure his personal goal is to better his previous career highest Prem finish of 11th and he could do that this season.

Norwich fans - on the other hand - have different expectations. For 20 out of 23 seasons (1972-95) they were in the top flight and the three that they weren't they bounced straight back up again. Most of that time they were in that third quartile of 11th - 16th and the odd League Cup Final and top 5 finish gave them aspirations. The following 23 years have seen them spend only 5 seasons in the top flight and they can see it all slipping away - like Ipswich.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Norwich fans disliking of Hughton reminds me of Ipswich fans and their disdain for Mick McCarthy - I wouldn't say they are unreasonable viewpoints if ALL you care about is being entertained by attacking football, but they simply don't recognise what those managers had to work with. When Hughton arrived, we saw some of the most sterile entertainment-free football we've ever seen at the Amex. But his job was to keep us up, and he did that. After that, he rebuilt and we immediately finished in the top 3 twice, something none of our other managers could do - including decent managers like Poyet and Oscar Garcia as well as the clueless Hyypia. Since promotion, he's rebuilt again, kept us up and looking like doing so again.

My take on it is that the recruitment quartet do their jobs as best possible, and Hughton is tactically pragmatic based on that season's squad. One day we'll accidentally sign two or three world class front men (like Leicester did in 2015/6) and when we do Hughton will line up his side to attack more than he does now. Until then, he plays with the team's limitations in mind and we win enough and rarely get spanked.

My take on his time at Norwich was that he kept them up comfortably, then signed Van Wolfswinkel who turned out to be shite - but shit signings are a fact of life in football, you win some you lose some. Consequently, he just got around that by building a cautious side and they were still comfortable enough in the league until fan power forced him out. Norwich fans didn't want cautious football you see. Anyway they binned him off for a less able manager (what is Neil Adams doing these days?) and then they got relegated. Had they stuck with Hughton, I reckon he'd have either binned off Van Wolfswinkel or reinforced them with competition, and they'd have regrouped and had another decent season in the Premier League, although I'm only basing this opinion on what he's done pretty much everywhere else.

The fact that Sir Chris has done such a fantastic job and is universally considered a hero in these parts is what is really eating up Norwich fans, who within minutes of his appointment took to Twitter to tell everyone how we'd soon be sick of him. We're not.

Well said Simster. And the other problem Hughton had with Norwich was that he was not Lambert. I always thought they had not got over Lambert jumping ship and the one following Lambert was going to have to compete with those giddy Grant Holt promotions.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The only negative I'd take from the last the few matches is proof that we should have got another no10 in the summer to challenge Pascal. He is our only recognized no10, not having any proper cover there is having an effect on our attacking prowess.

Who do you reckon we'll sign next summer - Pritchard or Mooy ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So glad we are NOT part of this sorry lot.

IMG_2919.PNG

I put this down to Chris, Maty, Lewis, Shane, Glenn and the lads.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Brilliant post apart rom one point. RVW is a good striker to get the best out of him you need a certain type of midfielder in your team alongside him. but the moths in the wallet ''said no''.. Ricky also got injured and was out for a bit and when he came back there were so many games when goalkeepers played blinders against some chances in some matches.

Get Ricky in a top side with supply of ammunition and he won't miss many but is a struggling side he doesn't have the physic to play the one up front role.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I must be fairly alone in having really enjoyed the Wolves game

I did. Although the end was a relief, I thought the last 15 mins was hugely entertaining, and I’m quite happy watching our defence repel everything chucked at it. We can play much better, and will...........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here