Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interest in the FA cup

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Well, sadly it lost its sparkle years ago. For example the subject of this thread, Sunderland, view Prem survival more important than cup success according to today's press. 21st in a league trumps a trophy; how on earth did English football end up like this?

I forget exactly when, but I recall a few seasons back there was a big hullabaloo because Man U wanted to withdraw from the FA cup to go play some competition in the East [was it Japan?]. The FA were all up in arms about it. My belief is that ever since then, it's been more about the bigger clubs using cup games to rest 1st teamers, or as many as you can get away with.

I agree it has lost its sparkle, and personally, I don't think that will come back any time soon.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I forget exactly when, but I recall a few seasons back there was a big hullabaloo because Man U wanted to withdraw from the FA cup to go play some competition in the East [was it Japan?]. The FA were all up in arms about it. My belief is that ever since then, it's been more about the bigger clubs using cup games to rest 1st teamers, or as many as you can get away with.

I agree it has lost its sparkle, and personally, I don't think that will come back any time soon.

No, it was with the FA's backing. And the talk of the FA Cup losing its sparkle came years before 2000. Together with the return of English clubs into European competition, the lack of memorable finals after 1991 was probably a bigger factor in the FA Cup no longer being seen as a showpiece event.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
A bit judgemental, methinks. Must be hard for you to see Liam and Gus doing well at Sunderland.

Not really, as I wasn't even talking about them, but carry on.

My point was that the so called passion of the fans in the NE is one of football's great myths, a line that gets trolled out all the time & today's attendance just proves is untrue.
It's similar to another myth, when somebody like Brendan Rodgers comes out with, "The fans here are very knowledgable, they know their football & understand what we're trying to do with the project".

I would say that any fan who attends a game is involving their team is quite passionate about their club, as I would also like to believe that I have just have just as much understanding of the game of Association Football as a Mickey Mouser!

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
He and his irksome ilk hang around ready to pollute threads. You'd think he had something better to do, what a sorry little man.

I stay out of Dioraria Fc threads but it infuriates me when they come into non scat threads. When they venture into no scat threads then it turns into a binfeast between them and us and then you have to double take to make sure you're in an Albion thread.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I stay out of Dioraria Fc threads but it infuriates me when they come into non scat threads. When they venture into no scat threads then it turns into a binfeast between them and us and then you have to double take to make sure you're in an Albion thread.

Yep, I was enjoying this thread until 'it' turned up.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Not really, as I wasn't even talking about them, but carry on.

My point was that the so called passion of the fans in the NE is one of football's great myths, a line that gets trolled out all the time & today's attendance just proves is untrue.
It's similar to another myth, when somebody like Brendan Rodgers comes out with, "The fans here are very knowledgable, they know their football & understand what we're trying to do with the project".

I would say that any fan who attends a game is involving their team is quite passionate about their club, as I would also like to believe that I have just have just as much understanding of the game of Association Football as a Mickey Mouser!

I don't think today's attendance 'proves' anything. However, it may be indicative of the fact that Sunderland fans have bigger fish to fry than to pay to watch a televised cup tie against Southampton, who they will have played in the league twice by the end of the season. Sunderland fans may love their club, and their area may have a better claim to being a hotbed of football than Sussex, but it doesn't mean that their pockets are limitless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here