Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inter fans in Crawley

interjambo

Mar 22, 2004
Milano, Italia
I'm an occasional poster on this Board, mainly because I'm a mate of Jambo Seagull who has a fair number of posts I believe.

Anyway, two weeks today (22 Feb 2005), I'll be in Crawley with five other Inter Milan fans on our way to the CL tie against Porto away.

We're flying out of Gatwick early on the Wednesday morning and have decided to spend Tuesday in Crawley.

Not looking for much. Just a decent boozer, possibly able to show Real Madrid v Juve (though Bayern Munich - Arsenal would do) and something to eat.

Any suggestions? Or are we better off heading, say, to Brighton.

In any case, we'll be staying in an hotel at Gatwick Airport.

Cheers

:drink:

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Dont go near crawley it is a shit hole and the locals are all inbred. Come to brighton and enjoy a great nite out.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
bhafc4eva said:
Dont go near crawley it is a shit hole and the locals are all inbred. Come to brighton and enjoy a great nite out.

Thats VERY true, I know coz I work there, Brighton's 20'mins it will be soooo worth it :)

interjambo

Mar 22, 2004
Milano, Italia
yeah but will we make our plane the next day?

What's the train/bus service between Crawley/Gatwick and Brighton like?

Suggestions for places in Brighton also welcome but we can't rule out Crawley quite yet so if anyone wants to defend Crawley........

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
They are fine, i am not sure what time the first train to Gatwick from Brighton would be but i guess about 6 o clock, it only takes 30 miniutes or so and there are direct trains about 4 times an hour.

Crawley is indefendable.

Last edited:

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
interjambo said:
yeah but will we make our plane the next day?

What's the train/bus service between Crawley/Gatwick and Brighton like?

Suggestions for places in Brighton also welcome but we can't rule out Crawley quite yet so if anyone wants to defend Crawley........

cant really defend Crawley as it is a f***ing shit hole and i live here!

but for your knowledge - decent pubs include The Frogshole farm (maidenbower), Rat and Parrot (town centre), Bar Med (centre) half Moon (southgate)

hope this helps!
;)

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Brighton till i die said:

Rat and Parrot (town centre), Bar Med (centre)

Don't believe a word of it, Bar Med is the worse drinking establishment THIS side of Watford, its a chav palace full of utter ***** generally !!!

Rat and Parrot is only slighty better !!

interjambo

Mar 22, 2004
Milano, Italia
Brighton till i die said:

but for your knowledge - decent pubs include The Frogshole farm (maidenbower), Rat and Parrot (town centre), Bar Med (centre) half Moon (southgate)

hope this helps!
;)

Cheers for that. If we go for the Crawley option we'll let you know how we got on. We had found one place on the Internet called the Charcoal Burner. Do you know it?

When's the last train from Brighton to Crawley? We've already arranged our hotel at Gatwick airport.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
interjambo said:

When's the last train from Brighton to Crawley? We've already arranged our hotel at Gatwick airport.

About 11 40 i think, or 11 at weekends and friday nights!!!!

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
Its probably the wrong side of Crawley, but the village of Rusper, a couple of miles outside, used to have a couple of decent pubs. My Palermo supporting relations always used to like drinking there.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
scotjem said:
Its probably the wrong side of Crawley, but the village of Rusper, a couple of miles outside, used to have a couple of decent pubs. My Palermo supporting relations always used to like drinking there.

The Gate is a great lunch time boozer :clap:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Charcoal burners is horrid as are the places mentioned by BTID, as they are mostly chain bars used by underage drinkers.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Crawley is properly shite, you'd most likely have more fun just staying at the airport.

The Wetherspoons pubs (both terminals) have multiple screens to show the footie on and crazy licensing hours. Though you might find the hotel bar a better option if you wanted to stay at Gatwick.

I can't recommend Brighton enough but can't promise I know about the train times.

However, an alternative would be to just go up to the big smoke. Trains run pretty much all night between Gatwick and Victoria, and they're every 15 minutes throughout most of the day. The journey is very quick and simple, and you don't even need to fanny about at Vicky, escalators take you from the specially dedicated platform right up to the street, bypassing the guards and the shops and the beggars - sweet.

Personally I'd take the London option as you can stay out long as you like and be guaranteed a train back to the airport whenever you fancy.

If you *had* to do Crawley there is a pub on the old high street that serves Harveys and does basic bar meals - not too dingy, but it's still a Crawley pub.

Hope you enjoy yourselves!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
culvers said:
About 11 40 i think, or 11 at weekends and friday nights!!!!

There might be buses/coaches later than that

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Frogshole farm in maidenbower is actually quite nice do some nice food, I go there for lunch sometimes.

If you go to pubs out of the town centre you can find sme nice ones.

If you want to go clubbing don't do it in cralwey Ikon/Diva is the only club and its f***ing terrible

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Where abouts is the hotel?

If you can use Gatwick Airport station, or even Three Bridges, you've got a better chance than Crawley, which is on the wrong line.

Late night trains back from Brighton do not exist, and the last one is generally before the pubs shut. Drink around Brighton station, and you should be OK. Loads of good pubs.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
interjambo said:
Cheers for that. If we go for the Crawley option we'll let you know how we got on. We had found one place on the Internet called the Charcoal Burner. Do you know it?

THe Charcoal Burner (Furnace Green) is to be avoided as are all the pubs in the suburbs of Crawley.

If you are I would opt for the Snooty Fox at 3 Bridges Railway station, lots of screens for the football, quite friendly and serve good food.

Also if its not to your liking cross the road to the station head to platform 5 and jump on the next train to Brighton!

The last one back to 3 Bridges from Brighton is 12.03 in the week and 11.03 at weekends( I think)

Crawley town centre pubs are horrible, possibly with the exception of The George Hotel ( nice for a quite drink ). Or The Goffs Manor or Goffs Park Hotel, both slightly out of town but chav free! Not sure if they have screens for the football.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
REDLAND said:
Don't believe a word of it, Bar Med is the worse drinking establishment THIS side of Watford, its a chav palace full of utter ***** generally !!!

Rat and Parrot is only slighty better !!

i agree that bar med and the parrot arent great - i dont go there myself - but for a busy pub they are local.

the frogs is quality - food is good, atymosphere is good, and the show a lot of footie in there.

charcoal burner is quite ruff me thinks!

in other words fella.....GO DOWN TO BRIGHTON...OR HAYWAYDS HEATH!!

(h/heath has a couple of cracking pubs - orange sq, evolution)

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
interjambo said:

Anyway, two weeks today (22 Feb 2005), I'll be in Crawley with five other Inter Milan fans on our way to the CL tie against Porto away.

Have just checked the fixtures and it seems that Brighton are the only Championship team not to have a match in that week, shame they were not at home on the 22nd !

Anybody know why they have not got a game?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here